Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Brembo and BMW working on offering carbon ceramic brake options for M models including the F10 M5 and F12 M6

This information comes from Bimmerfile who was able to confirm with a member of BMW's board of directors, Dr. Hubert Diess, that carbon ceramic braking options are coming. BMW is working with Brembo who will be producing the discs and likely the rotors as well. We hope the carbon discs and rotors are from Brembo as one looking for an upgrade for the traditionally weak BMW brakes tends to go to aftermarket Brembo big brake setups anyway.

This will mean that for the first time a BMW or M car will have a carbon ceramic braking options. How much will they run? Well, these brakes are not cheap and on makes that offer them the price is usually well over $10k. Maybe with a greater production number and being available on the M5, M6, and likely future M models as well the price will be driven down. This brake package is about a year away but has a chance of debuting with the sale of the F10 M5 in the USA.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

pretty cool.. that means that bmw warranty will not cover those brakes cause its brembo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is what I am talking about. Finally some real track stopping power to keep up with the competition. Wilwood already offer carbon disc as replacements anyways.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    pretty cool.. that means that bmw warranty will not cover those brakes cause its brembo.
    Brembo already supplies BMW brake pieces I believe and those are covered. BMW gets parts from all kinds of suppliers but still offers their own warranty on their car made up of these pieces.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Brembo already supplies BMW brake pieces I believe and those are covered. BMW gets parts from all kinds of suppliers but still offers their own warranty on their car made up of these pieces.
    Damnit really? I guess Chevy is just a cheap ass, I got brembo's and they dont cover $#@! for it.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Damnit really? I guess Chevy is just a cheap ass, I got brembo's and they dont cover $#@! for it.
    That is because you got aftermarket Brembo's right or does it come with them stock?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

nope stock, I got stock 4 piston brembo front brakes with ferodo HP1000 brake pads.

If you care: http://www.gmperformancedivision.com..._SS_Owners.pdf
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Cool they are offering them. But M5 is the last car I would want carbon ceramic brakes. Waste of money on that car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Cool they are offering them. But M5 is the last car I would want carbon ceramic brakes. Waste of money on that car.
    Why?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

nope stock, I got stock 4 piston brembo front brakes with ferodo HP1000 brake pads.

If you care: http://www.gmperformancedivision.com..._SS_Owners.pdf
    Well then Chevy can't match BMW on what the warranty covers as I loved BMW replacing my brake parts all the time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Does it mean the standard brakes aren't good?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Does it mean the standard brakes aren't good?
    Does what?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Does what?
    Offering Ceramic brakes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Offering Ceramic brakes.
    No, it means you have a ceramic brake option.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Pffffft..... I have had Carbon Ceramic Brembos on my BMW M3 GT since February 2007 Click here to enlargeNice to see that BMW is finally catching up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

No, it means you have a ceramic brake option.
    IMO the standard brakes are weak so the owners should pay extra to get something better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

IMO the standard brakes are weak so the owners should pay extra to get something better.
    I'll have to wait until we see some tests to judge but traditionally M brakes aren't a strong point. They work well, they just fade fast.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3GTtt Click here to enlarge
    Pffffft..... I have had Carbon Ceramic Brembos on my BMW M3 GT since February 2007 Click here to enlargeNice to see that BMW is finally catching up.
    Whose? Expensive to get.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whose? Expensive to get.
    I was waiting on Sveinn's input on this...

His are custom drilled discs from a Mercedes SLR, with Brembo Calipers from the same car...

I have the same setup on my E36/5 ti aswell, but i haven't got the Carbon Ceramic rotors like he has...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Mine are the Carbon Ceramic disks and 8pot Brembo calipers from the McLaren SLR (used on a wide range of other high end cars). They are not drilled though, they are Generation 1 but more than enough for my car which is about 1350-1400kg.

Aparently they are about 1500Kw worth of stopping power.

Other cars using the same setup are for example Mercedes, Audi and early Ferraris. The rotors are 370x38mm, and huge 8 piston calipers. They never fade and they also weigh a lot less than the metal rotors.

Do you have the 8 pison calipers Viktor?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

a problem with carbon ceramic rotors is you need to heat them up to get them going. if you plan on tracking/hot-lapping the hunk of an m5 around sure, the carbon pads will do very nicely. however if you're the m5 owner who likes to run on the street and then all of a sudden need to brake hard for someone stopping short, or a red light or something, if the brakes are not warm already you actually have less stopping power than a metallic rotor afaik, and unfortunately you maybe used to serious stopping power because last time they were warm/hot and this time... oops, bang. the only car i'd put carbon ceramics on is a dedicated track car. or a street-race car like a high end Ferrari or something that is used almost solely for track use.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

That's not really true. The ceramic brakes manufactures always point to the high effect of ceramic brakes in higher temps. in a customer's mind, this means the brakes aren't effective in lower temps and they are good for higher temps. but this isn't true, ceramic brakes like normal brakes are effective in lower temps, but in higher temps unlike normal brakes they are still effective.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Well then Chevy can't match BMW on what the warranty covers as I loved BMW replacing my brake parts all the time.
    Yep, BMW FTW..
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

That's not really true. The ceramic brakes manufactures always point to the high effect of ceramic brakes in higher temps. in a customer's mind, this means the brakes aren't effective in lower temps and they are good for higher temps. but this isn't true, ceramic brakes like normal brakes are effective in lower temps, but in higher temps unlike normal brakes they are still effective.
    This is 100% true, Carbon Ceramics are not like the Formula1 brakes which need high temps to work, they just need a bit and it builds up quickly. I have driven quite many modern cars with ceramics and they have amazing stoping power even when "cold"
    On most modern cars the brake system is used to keep them warm. On my car however.. there is no such system, only the old school brake booster of the M3, this means that if I do a long autobach run at high temps, and a truck pulls in front of me.. I have almost no stopping power instantly, therefore I have adopted the habit of left-foot braking a touch every 2-3 minutes massage them warm Click here to enlarge
    1995 BMW M3GT nr:111/350 TwinTurbo and some other mods.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Why?

Who is going track this heavy boat every weekend?

The whole point of carbon ceramic brakes to prevent brake fade during longs periods abuse/heat on the track.

A complete waste of money on a DD giant sedan. Owners of the 1M or M3 would get much more use out of them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast