Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

SLP ZL-1 Camaro dyno numbers - 617 whp

This is an LS7 block with forged internals, forged crank, and a TVS 2300 blower. It hits 617 whp. The M3 with a blower is capable of just about 600 whp on stock internals. And people call it weak?

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice to know what dyno Insideline uses now as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hate how automobile magazines feed the fanboys. Now in every article related to GT2 RS some ignorant kid will come and say i would take a Camaro instead of that Porsche and such.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    I hate how automobile magazines feed the fanboys. Now in every article related to GT2 RS some ignorant kid will come and say i would take a Camaro instead of that Porsche and such.
    There will always be stupid people.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Lol, just like one of my friends. "I'll take a camaro SS over and e90 m3." what a stupid $#@!.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Lol, just like one of my friends. "I'll take a camaro SS over and e90 m3." what a stupid $#@!.
    they arent even in the same price range... lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This is an LS7 block with forged internals, forged crank, and a TVS 2300 blower. It hits 617 whp. The M3 with a blower is capable of just about 600 whp on stock internals. And people call it weak?

Barely. The S65 will pop at 600 whp, this car comes stock almost that. With a pulley swap you could probably hit 700 on stock motor. Blown motors are always built to handle boost, they are generally stronger.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Barely. The S65 will pop at 600 whp, this car comes stock almost that. With a pulley swap you could probably hit 700 on stock motor. Blown motors are always built to handle boost, they are generally stronger.
    Nah, the S65 is fine at 600 whp. People used to say the S54 would pop at 400 whp and it can do 700.

It's a matter of tuning, the internals are forged and VERY stout. People underestimate these motors.

Blown motors aren't always stronger, the LSA is a perfect example with cast internal pieces. I would argue the S65 internals have to be stronger due to the stress it is subjected to at high revs. That is one of the reasons the S54 for example is so strong.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    theres more to it than just manufacturing process. i can show you a cast crank that can handle 1000 hp, its just thicker, everywhere. Casting isnt the devil, it used to be. And just because something is forged doesnt automatically make it very very strong. It is very strong for how much it weighs, but I can show you a cast rod from a diesel thats stronger than a forged rod from an S65. It is all relative.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    theres more to it than just manufacturing process. i can show you a cast crank that can handle 1000 hp, its just thicker, everywhere. Casting isnt the devil, it used to be. And just because something is forged doesnt automatically make it very very strong. It is very strong for how much it weighs, but I can show you a cast rod from a diesel thats stronger than a forged rod from an S65. It is all relative.
    Casting isn't the devil but most of the GM aftermarket guys know the LS9 is more capable than the LSA. GM did it not only to lower costs but protect the ZR-1. Also, considering the stress of the M3 parts at high revs I would bet the forged parts are stronger than the cast GM parts. It also is not as big of a difference comparing S65 to LSA as it is comparing S65 or LSA to diesel.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    This car has a full warranty and the blessing of GM, their will only be a total of 69 built. I would say that comparing the power output of a fully warrantied package vs an aftermarket system is fruitless. Yielding more power is possible but keeping it warrantied got this setup.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    This car has a full warranty and the blessing of GM, their will only be a total of 69 built. I would say that comparing the power output of a fully warrantied package vs an aftermarket system is fruitless. Yielding more power is possible but keeping it warrantied got this setup.
    I'm not being argumentative but I don't think any aftermarket Camaro has GM's blessing. I owned a gen 5 Camaro and did the whole blower thing (twice). And I looked into just about every aftermarket blower option and what I found was this: GM will not warrant any aftermarket blower application. Hell, they won't even warrant the LS9, TVS blower kit for the LS3 even though it is a direct bolt-on and is marketed to Camaro owners.

Even the Callaway kit is not covered under GM's warranty. Callaway does, however, offer their own 3-year 36,000 mile warranty when you buy their overpriced kit.

I'm sure it's the same with SLP and this kit featured here. GM will not fix any problems with the drivetrain of the SLP car under a GM 100,000 mile warranty.

Also, in my mind this kit isn't so special. LS3 Camaros on stock internals will make 600 whp with a Kenne Bell 2.8 Blower and LT's on 8 psi and 93 octane. I'm not saying it's the best idea to run 600 whp on the stock LS3 internals but it is being done.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Keep in mind that SLP built the SLP Firehawk that was a limited production super Firebird some years ago. They were based in Toms River, NJ at that time and built a sick car for what it was at the time. Plus they were offering dealer installed/GM warrantied parts for the F Body cars as well during the 90's and early 2K.

In terms of the power I was merely pointing out that since the car has a warranty it's not tuned to the max or at the edge. The ZL-1 is a complete vehicle not just a blower package and as such is engineered to a higher standard than many(not all) blower kits. (No matter the brand or car) This is a car meant to be a throwback ala Shelby and their Super Snake conversions for GT500's.

http://slpcamaro.com/zl-models/zl1/

http://slpcamaro.com/wp-content/uplo...-Statement.pdf I also stand corrected here in that GM blessed the use of the ZL-1 name. While they do not stand in the way of SLP's building the car it is SLP's warranty.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you're going balls out with a modern SBC unless it's an LSX block stick with the LS9 not an LS7. One block was meant for boost the other not, yes I've seen some impressive numbers out of race LS7s but if you want it to last (ie 30k+ miles on street, track, etc) more meat between bores and less displacement is better. Esp considering they are using the same size TVS as on the ZR1.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i just can't seem to like anything about this car.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terminator-N54 Click here to enlarge
    i just can't seem to like anything about this car.
    IMO it's one of the worst interiors ever created, designed by Rubbermaid apparently. Then again I've never been a Camaro fan though there is no denying the potential of a SBC and how cheap parts are, etc.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh hell... Lets be clear that interior is as ugly as the Pontiac Aztek was ugly on the outside. That's fugly fo sho
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    If you're going balls out with a modern SBC unless it's an LSX block stick with the LS9 not an LS7. One block was meant for boost the other not, yes I've seen some impressive numbers out of race LS7s but if you want it to last (ie 30k+ miles on street, track, etc) more meat between bores and less displacement is better. Esp considering they are using the same size TVS as on the ZR1.
    Exactly the LS7 is a great all motor setup with the right combo of cam, heads and compression... The LS1/2/3 blocks are better for boost and of course the LS9 is the Kingpin of them all.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is a good point but this technically is an aftermarket package.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Exactly the LS7 is a great all motor setup with the right combo of cam, heads and compression... The LS1/2/3 blocks are better for boost and of course the LS9 is the Kingpin of them all.
    Is the LS9 the kingpin when built LS3's are making way more power?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is a good point but this technically is an aftermarket package.
    Technically yes, though at one time they were considered an OEM like Saleen. I dont think they hold that status any longer. It is a post purchase package.

Is the LS9 the kingpin when built LS3's are making way more power?
    I wouldnt compare a stroked and/or fully forged LS2-3 to a LS9. To very different animals IMO but to answer you question head on. I wouldnt buy a ZR1 or Z06 if boost was my goal. I would buy a Grand Sport and get a ECS blower setup. Add in a custom spec cam and worked heads that's gonna crush a stock ZR1 for around the same overall cash outlay.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Keep in mind that SLP built the SLP Firehawk that was a limited production super Firebird some years ago. They were based in Toms River, NJ at that time and built a sick car for what it was at the time. Plus they were offering dealer installed/GM warrantied parts for the F Body cars as well during the 90's and early 2K.

In terms of the power I was merely pointing out that since the car has a warranty it's not tuned to the max or at the edge. The ZL-1 is a complete vehicle not just a blower package and as such is engineered to a higher standard than many(not all) blower kits. (No matter the brand or car) This is a car meant to be a throwback ala Shelby and their Super Snake conversions for GT500's.

http://slpcamaro.com/zl-models/zl1/

http://slpcamaro.com/wp-content/uplo...-Statement.pdf I also stand corrected here in that GM blessed the use of the ZL-1 name. While they do not stand in the way of SLP's building the car it is SLP's warranty.
    Personally, I think this ZL-1 is just a bunch of aftermarket parts pieced together. The only things I like about this car are the wheels, brakes, and coil-overs.

The problem with the limited edition gen 5 Camaros is that there are too many different brands making them. They lose the uniqueness. And you can make your own by reading the forums for a couple months and seeing what works best and what you like and even though yours isn't one of the numbered special addition cars, it's just as special and considering you can install the same parts as the ones used in these special editions, nothing is really different except for badging, which only adds like 15-20 hp anways. jk Click here to enlarge

Even though the 2012 Chevy ZL1 will come with a 1.9L blower, I'd still take it over the SLP.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wouldnt compare a stroked and/or fully forged LS2-3 to a LS9. To very different animals IMO but to answer you question head on. I wouldnt buy a ZR1 or Z06 if boost was my goal. I would buy a Grand Sport and get a ECS blower setup. Add in a custom spec cam and worked heads that's gonna crush a stock ZR1 for around the same overall cash outlay.
    Your thinking makes sense to me.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    Personally, I think this ZL-1 is just a bunch of aftermarket parts pieced together. The only things I like about this car are the wheels, brakes, and coil-overs.

The problem with the limited edition gen 5 Camaros is that there are too many different brands making them. They lose the uniqueness. And you can make your own by reading the forums for a couple months and seeing what works best and what you like and even though yours isn't one of the numbered special addition cars, it's just as special and considering you can install the same parts as the ones used in these special editions, nothing is really different except for badging, which only adds like 15-20 hp anways. jk Click here to enlarge

Even though the 2012 Chevy ZL1 will come with a 1.9L blower, I'd still take it over the SLP.
    I hear ya bro... I think the fact that SLP has a history with doing cars with GM direct puts them in the area of a Callaway. They have serious engineering behind them and are a pseudo GM tuner of sorts. But with Earnhart, Hurst, Baldwin-Motion and others doing their own versions it wears thin to a degree. Unlike a Roush or SMS Mustang who are actually OEM's its a diffferent ballgame for them.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hear ya bro... I think the fact that SLP has a history with doing cars with GM direct puts them in the area of a Callaway. They have serious engineering behind them and are a pseudo GM tuner of sorts. But with Earnhart, Hurst, Baldwin-Motion and others doing their own versions it wears thin to a degree. Unlike a Roush or SMS Mustang who are actually OEM's its a diffferent ballgame for them.
    All very true.