Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Supposedly their aluminum block has REALLY strong cylinder walls too. I read that Ford actually licensed out the "Plasma Lining" technology that Nissan uses for the GTR, but they do it more "hardcore" and precise in their aluminum GT500 5.4 DOHC motors. Less friction, weight, and more strength than traditional Iron Sleeve/Aluminum block combo.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

The core GT500 buyer would run from it with that trans... Granted the new Camaro ZL1 will give an auto trans option but Shelby would not likely put his name on the GT500 with an auto trans. I'm a fan of heel/toe and rev matching on my damn own, dont get me wrong. Those trannies do wonders but I still wanna bang my own gears

That aluminum 5.4 is good to around 800 or so crank hp stock
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Sticky, it's cool, they already have an auto option for you. Click here to enlarge
    In the GT500?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    The core GT500 buyer would run from it with that trans... Granted the new Camaro ZL1 will give an auto trans option but Shelby would not likely put his name on the GT500 with an auto trans. I'm a fan of heel/toe and rev matching on my damn own, dont get me wrong. Those trannies do wonders but I still wanna bang my own gears

DCT isn't an automatic but the point is for the performance advantage it offers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yep, I followed Evo Performance and Lethal Performance very closely when that new block came out. I almost traded in for a GT500. But I like that I have something different, and my 135i fits like a glove. I just LOVE driving it, no matter if it is the fastest or not.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    In the GT500?
    Lol it was a joke. I basically was calling the DCT an automatic. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Lol it was a joke. I basically was calling the DCT an automatic. Click here to enlarge
    I know, and I'm not fond of that joke.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yep, I followed Evo Performance and Lethal Performance very closely when that new block came out. I almost traded in for a GT500. But I like that I have something different, and my 135i fits like a glove. I just LOVE driving it, no matter if it is the fastest or not.
    Honestly I would buy a 2011up GT (Brembo optioned) with the FRPP blower and throw in some H&R coilovers. That will run down some pretty big dogs for around $40K and still have a full warranty.

The GT500 with the aluminum block is impressive handling wise. But still a handful for say a auto-x course. The 3 is a hot car, but honestly the 3 series is the Mustang of the BMW lineup. They are everywhere. $#@! I got my wife a 11 328Xi M Sport just to be less like a normal 328Xi but I am the only one who notices the difference LOL
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    DCT isn't an automatic but the point is for the performance advantage it offers.
    No clutch = automatic for me... That being said Shelby would never go for it he is very much against any Mustang with his name having no clutch!
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Wait, what? I thought we concluded that DCT is an automatic in the 1m vs M3 thread. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Honestly I would buy a 2011up GT (Brembo optioned) with the FRPP blower and throw in some H&R coilovers. That will run down some pretty big dogs for around $40K and still have a full warranty.
    I priced one up and it actually came out to a little over $50k with everything I wanted. All we have around here is an Autocross course anyway, well and street races. What really killed it for me was the interior, not "digging" it at the moment. Lol and your iPod just lays in that compartment?

I already have the Z for my project car anyway. The 135i just gets easy mods that are cost effective, like JB4/DCI/FSB Meth kit.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Hey I like anything that's fast, I say rock what you enjoy and can pay for...

$50K is high for a fully optioned GT, my friend just got his last Friday. His was $41200 out the door with the Brembos, FRPP Blower installed and the GT500 wheel/tires. But admitedly Blaizon's coupe had me thinkin for a minute, that's why I got the Mrs the Xi.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

No clutch = automatic for me... That being said Shelby would never go for it he is very much against any Mustang with his name having no clutch!
    No offense, but Shelby's time has passed. Time to march on with technology and dual clutches are just flat out faster.

Two clutches, not one, so twice as good as an automatic.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Ah my mistake. I see you were saying GT and add a blower. I priced a GT500, the displacement, valvetrain and low compression ratio make for some crazy numbers with little mods. The regular 5.0 with some boost would site as hell be fun too!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Perhaps... But when he dies his cars will skyrocket in the years to come. Especially the last model he touched.

That being said the market demographic for the GT500 wants to drag race in very large numbers, some of the hardcore will swap in auto trannies to drag with. That owner wont be on an auto x course anythime soon if ever much less a road course. So a DCT style trans would not sell to them... We'll see how the ZL1 Camaro sells in stick vs auto when it drops.

The M3 demographic will auto-x and road race in very large numbers. BMW also built those DCT cars in higher numbers so getting the 6spd is a bit rare in comparison from what I understand.

Not to mention faster and fun are not always the same thing. The GTR is bloody fast and totally uneventful to drive in anger. The typical buyer for each car is vastly different in most cases. Few cross over and fewer would want a DCT style trans GT500

Ford has been doing 4V per cylinder heads since the mid 90's, Modular engine blocks and returnless style fuel systems. The new 5.0 motor is not exactly a technological slug. They did IRS from 99-04 in Cobra's as well. They went back to the SRA after the outcry from the serious drag racers as road races like me are a minority LOL. I would say that compared to the Camaro motor Fords are light years ahead and the new 5.0 a beast out of the box. Mods make that thing go crazy.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Perhaps... But when he dies his cars will skyrocket in the years to come. Especially the last model he touched.
    His original cars yes, but these new mass produced cars by Ford that just use his name for marketing, no.

That being said the market demographic for the GT500 wants to drag race in very large numbers, some of the hardcore will swap in auto trannies to drag with. That owner wont be on an auto x course anythime soon if ever much less a road course. So a DCT style trans would not sell to them... We'll see how the ZL1 Camaro sells in stick vs auto when it drops.
    I assume some of the guys who like to drag race like every tenth they can get and enjoy consistency for bracket racing. The GTR would not be as fast as it is without it. Ford will eventually put one in, just a matter of when they do.

BMW also built those DCT cars in higher numbers so getting the 6spd is a bit rare in comparison from what I understand.
    I don't think so, the DCT is a more expensive option so it is a pretty close split with a greater number of manuals I think.

Not to mention faster and fun are not always the same thing. The GTR is bloody fast and totally uneventful to drive in anger. The typical buyer for each car is vastly different in most cases. Few cross over and fewer would want a DCT style trans GT500
    I agree, the point is offering the option. I would love to see it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

All valid points Sticky... I like where your head is at!

In the end while mass produced this is likely the last Shelby influenced Mustangs. The original cars already have their place, these new cars will be the "last" of a legacy. Is what it is.My money would buy the GT with some choice options to go faster for less.

DCT in a GT, Boss or Laguna Seca could have some appeal the customers would be more receptive for sure. But i wont hold my breath on a Shelby having one. Ford has something in the works, durability is an issue since few Mustangs stay stock for long LOL. I would not personally buy it, I prefer a more direct experience and the ultimate experience is more to me than the lap time.

The GTR is fast because of electronics, its a freak of nature in many ways. Nice car, after driving several stock and modded ones. I cant put a finger on it its just not exciting vs other cars out there. But that's another story.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

DCT in a GT, Boss or Laguna Seca could have some appeal the customers would be more receptive for sure. But i wont hold my breath on a Shelby having one. Ford has something in the works, durability is an issue since few Mustangs stay stock for long LOL. I would not personally buy it, I prefer a more direct experience and the ultimate experience is more to me than the lap time.
    The Laguna Seca would make a lot of sense with it.

The GTR is fast because of electronics, its a freak of nature in many ways. Nice car, after driving several stock and modded ones. I cant put a finger on it its just not exciting vs other cars out there. But that's another story.
    I don't think it is a exciting either and think it is a robot but it uses technology well, like the dual clutch which really IMO is the most important part.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Have you driven a DCT yet? ill tell you its just as fun, and more so..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

I dont think the market this car targets really want DCTs, that will add cost to the car and reduce the appeal of an affordable budget supercar. Yes I said it, an affordable supercar. Because that is what domestics are becoming lately. Keep the manual, stiffen up the suspension and throw in the IRS with LSD and you have a great platform with that 5.8 TT. $#@! it sounds great if true.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    I dont think the market this car targets really want DCTs, that will add cost to the car and reduce the appeal of an affordable budget supercar. Yes I said it, an affordable supercar. Because that is what domestics are becoming lately. Keep the manual, stiffen up the suspension and throw in the IRS with LSD and you have a great platform with that 5.8 TT. $#@! it sounds great if true.
    Option... give it an option.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Have you driven a DCT yet? ill tell you its just as fun, and more so..
    Driven in both 6spd and DCT form, fast in both cases. However my preference is the 6spd car were I to purchase one.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Just saw this as well. How can Ford Inside News completely get something like this wrong?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Just saw this as well. How can Ford Inside News completely get something like this wrong?
    Probably just using any way to hype up a car, whether rumors are true or not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast