Close

    • Holy @$%# the 2018 McLaren 720S M840T V8 dynos just shy of 700 wheel horsepower stock

      Dear lord that is a ton of power from a completely stock car! 698 wheel horsepower to be accurate so not exactly 700 to the tires but close enough. This level of power certainly explains the test numbers we are seeing as well as the real world performance.


      The torque curve drops a bit in the higher rpm range. Peak power comes at roughly 6500 rpm. The previous generation McLaren M838T sure revved out a bit more and made its peak power further up in the rpm band.


      If you would like to compare this graph to stock and tuned McLaren 570S, 650S, and 675LT M838T models check out this article from last year.

      What else is there to say? The 720S is significantly stronger than a tuned 675LT. The car is an absolute beast.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Holy @$%# the 2018 McLaren 720S M840T V8 dynos just shy of 700 wheel horsepower stock started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 31 Comments
      1. SpeedLimit?'s Avatar
        SpeedLimit? -
        488 owners need not attempt to race a 720s...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
        488 owners need not attempt to race a 720s...
        Nobody better attempt to race a 720S.
      1. SpeedLimit?'s Avatar
        SpeedLimit? -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Nobody better attempt to race a 720S.
        I'm pretty sure it was Steve Sutcliffe who said Mclaren told him confidentially that the 720s is faster than the P1 on certain tracks. After seeing this dyno I understand why...
      1. subaru335i's Avatar
        subaru335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
        I'm pretty sure it was Steve Sutcliffe who said Mclaren told him confidentially that the 720s is faster than the P1 on certain tracks. After seeing this dyno I understand why...
        So much for confidentiality lol
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        The 720S being this close to the P1 for a fraction of the cost makes it more impressive than the P1 IMO.

        I understand the P1 is a technology showcase but look at what the 720S does without all that fancy hybrid crap.
      1. ezec63's Avatar
        ezec63 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The 720S being this close to the P1 for a fraction of the cost makes it more impressive than the P1 IMO.

        I understand the P1 is a technology showcase but look at what the 720S does without all that fancy hybrid crap.
        Agreed and its probably much "easier" and fun to drive being so much smaller/lighter and not worrying about wiping out 3 Million dollars if you spin out.
      1. Abacus38's Avatar
        Abacus38 -
        Keep driving those 12c prices down lol
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Abacus38 Click here to enlarge
        Keep driving those 12c prices down lol
        650S should see a bit of a tumble too.

        My next car is a McLaren.
      1. Abacus38's Avatar
        Abacus38 -
        I feel bad for those 675Lt owners
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Abacus38 Click here to enlarge
        I feel bad for those 675Lt owners
        I'm not shedding any tears for people that can put up $400k without thinking.
      1. danb's Avatar
        danb -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Nobody better attempt to race a 720S.
        There are videos out there showing a stock 570S nearly beating a 488 in a half mile, standing start race; and ONE that I've seen where the 570S actually beats a 488 twice in a roll-on race! So, a 720S is in an entirely different league than a 488 in reality.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by danb Click here to enlarge
        There are videos out there showing a stock 570S nearly beating a 488 in a half mile, standing start race; and ONE that I've seen where the 570S actually beats a 488 twice in a roll-on race! So, a 720S is in an entirely different league than a 488 in reality.
        Agreed.

        Care to post those vids?
      1. danb's Avatar
        danb -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Agreed.

        Care to post those vids?


      1. 135idct's Avatar
        135idct -
        on race gas or 93?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
        on race gas or 93?
        Pump. I'd assume 93.
      1. danb's Avatar
        danb -
        Ok, so I went to Park Place McLaren in Dallas last Thursday to drive the 720S, prior to placing my order. Man is that a slick car! When you see it up close, you immediately notice all of the aero trickery going on. It's a very pretty car, IMHO. The interior materials and switch gear have been improved, but I do not like the way the instrument cluster reads in comparison to my 570S. To my mind, they got it right with the 570S, so why change it? It's quite cluttered with info and just doesn't seem to be laid out as well...

        The sound with the sports exhaust is nice, but never intrusive or LOUD. If you are looking for sporty, I might forgo the factory sport exhaust and add an aftermarket one of your choosing. The "new" engine is very sweet. It is so very smooth--makes you want to rev it more than the 570S. There is noticeably less turbo lag than previous Mclaren's and throttle response once on boost is much better than in the past. Small adjustments to the throttle can be made, whereas previously, this was not possible. The ride quality and handling is remarkable. The plush ride of the 650S remains, even with slightly different settings for ride--now normal, sport and track. This is a car that you can drive daily and not become fatigued. It can even be driven slowly and smoothly in traffic, thanks to the newly reduced turbo lag. Handling and balance is impeccable and I was never able to get close to it's limits on the street. The steering is just a tad weightier than in the 570S, which is actually welcome, as it doesn't feel quite as alive in your hands. Overall, the chassis has a "tied-down" feeling that you don't get with the 570S, which is much more communicative and edgy. No doubt this difference in feel is the linked-shocks and aero working in the car's favor. The brakes on the 720S are otherworldly, especially when you brake from speed and the rear spoiler acts as an air brake to stabilize the rear of the car. It's as fast a car as you would probably ever want. It just revs so quickly. In fact, I was getting on the highway in second gear at about 5000 rpm, and as soon as I went to floor it, the power just faded, as it had hit the rev limiter so much faster than I had anticipated. The engine felt like it just wanted to keep pulling and pulling.

        So, one of the questions frequently asked is, "is it worth $300k?" My answer would be, "and then some." Mine is speced out to around $308k, if I forgo the front end lift, which the dealer tells me is not smart, as it will hurt the resale value. But, I am struggling to afford the car as is, so every penny I can save is actually welcome. My car should be delivered to me in a year, so I have plenty of time to save for my "dream car."
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by danb Click here to enlarge
        But, I am struggling to afford the car as is
        Sounds like you're barely getting by Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by danb Click here to enlarge
        Ok, so I went to Park Place McLaren in Dallas last Thursday to drive the 720S, prior to placing my order. Man is that a slick car! When you see it up close, you immediately notice all of the aero trickery going on. It's a very pretty car, IMHO. The interior materials and switch gear have been improved, but I do not like the way the instrument cluster reads in comparison to my 570S. To my mind, they got it right with the 570S, so why change it? It's quite cluttered with info and just doesn't seem to be laid out as well...
        Excellent post and summary, thank you.

        I can't wait to see a thread on your car. What color is it going to be?
      1. danb's Avatar
        danb -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Sounds like you're barely getting by Click here to enlarge
        I DO have the 570S to trade, then i need to come up with the other $150k or so. I am used to trading "up," but this is a new high for me. I have my mind set on it, though...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by danb Click here to enlarge
        I DO have the 570S to trade, then i need to come up with the other $150k or so. I am used to trading "up," but this is a new high for me. I have my mind set on it, though...
        I have a feeling you'll make it work.

        Now I need to figure out how to get a 720S... won't be on my radar for 3 years.