Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

UGR TT Ferrari F430

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by John Reed
    This one is a lot of fun to debut as it has always been one of my favorite cars in terms of styling and just overall feel and it was indeed a pleasure to get to work with this project.

Presenting Jonah's Underground Racing twin turbo Ferrari F430 Spyder F1

Short list of features:

Underground Racing "R" twin turbo system with air/water intercoolers (1000hp package)
    Underground Racing built engine package/fuel system
    MoTeC engine management system

Pictures:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Video here:

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well.... I think something just pushed a TT gallardo off the list.

I had been wondering how long it would be until they would tackle the F cars!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I love that company oh so much! I'd still take a TT Gallardo though Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSpiredM3 Click here to enlarge
    I love that company oh so much! I'd still take a TT Gallardo though Click here to enlarge
    Hell no... twin turbo Gallardo's are played out, everyone has one Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have to wonder how part throttle drivability is in those cars using piggybacks and stand alone...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    I have to wonder how part throttle drivability is in those cars using piggybacks and stand alone...
    Please elaborate... the UGR cars seem to have a good reputation for their drivability.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    this is relevant to my interests

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Overall, it's just a lot harder to tune for part throttle than WOT, much more goes into it as far as relevant maps that need to be modified especially under boost. I'm not knocking UGR in anyway, their cars seem to run like scalded dogs, however I have heard of a few TT Gallardo owners (happy nonetheless) that don't really drive them around that much due to "streetability" (bucking/bogging) issues.

I guess whenever you run out of room in the OEM ECU it's easy to run into problems using standalone or piggyback "tuning". Definitely not a fan of interupting CAN data flow aka piggybacking. It's simply not tuning.

This car could perform otherwise, I really have no experience with it (obviously) just curious really.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    HPF cars seem to run perfect with piggy/standalones in all conditions. We'll see when I get mine back

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Definitely not a fan of interupting CAN data flow aka piggybacking. It's simply not tuning.
    It isn't really piggybacking, its more of a parallel arrangement. The motec controls engine completely, the factory computer is left in place to handle the integration with the chassis. Very very similar to HPF's setup with the AEM (coincidentally -- something John Reed also had his hand in...).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSpiredM3 Click here to enlarge
    HPF cars seem to run perfect with piggy/standalones in all conditions. We'll see when I get mine back
    Good deal!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spdu4ea Click here to enlarge
    It isn't really piggybacking, its more of a parallel arrangement. The motec controls engine completely, the factory computer is left in place to handle the integration with the chassis. Very very similar to HPF's setup with the AEM (coincidentally -- something John Reed also had his hand in...).
    With standalone I can believe it if the tuner knows what theyr'e doing, with other cars (TT Gallardos, Murci's, etc) using piggybacks which do interupt CAN flow, well, that's what I wonder about.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good deal!

With standalone I can believe it if the tuner knows what theyr'e doing, with other cars (TT Gallardos, Murci's, etc) using piggybacks which do interupt CAN flow, well, that's what I wonder about.
    I agree with your belief and the using of piggybacks that you will never get it 100% right. I have also found that a lot of new ECU's self correct what ever tuning the piggy back is telling it.

The Motec though is a wonderful and expensive system. It even has the capability of giving it Air fuel ratio targets and it self tunes. Motec has a forum and you can read a lot of interesting information from various tuners and the developers of its capability and you will be surprised what vehicles it has already supported. As far as I know the F430 mustve been a walk in the park as all the base maps already exist from all the race car development so you not really starting with a total blank.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm still trying to find a dyno for this damn car.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    I agree with your belief and the using of piggybacks that you will never get it 100% right. I have also found that a lot of new ECU's self correct what ever tuning the piggy back is telling it.

The Motec though is a wonderful and expensive system. It even has the capability of giving it Air fuel ratio targets and it self tunes. Motec has a forum and you can read a lot of interesting information from various tuners and the developers of its capability and you will be surprised what vehicles it has already supported. As far as I know the F430 mustve been a walk in the park as all the base maps already exist from all the race car development so you not really starting with a total blank.
    George, that makes absolute sense to me!

Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge

Can the Motec just be applied to anything though? I mean, a car like the GT3 has race maps available, so in that case, a twin turbo kit should be a walk in the park applying this logic, correct?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Can the Motec just be applied to anything though? I mean, a car like the GT3 has race maps available, so in that case, a twin turbo kit should be a walk in the park applying this logic, correct?
    Correct you can put standalone (Motec, Bosch, etc) on anything. Getting the factory ECU/CAN network to work in synch can sometimes be a PITA however.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Badass car!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Incredible car and good information in this thread. I would still go with the TT Gallardo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    awesome find, im curious why they didnt wait for the new model to come out, the 456 italia right? larger displacement, DI, could be a tuner's dream today on twin turbos Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I need a better job

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    awesome find, im curious why they didnt wait for the new model to come out, the 456 italia right? larger displacement, DI, could be a tuner's dream today on twin turbos Click here to enlarge
    Well.... much smaller market and not as willing to mod.

The F430 is getting older and cheaper... people will buy and mod it now. Sort of like the Gallardo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    When tuning a standalone system, 75% of the headache is tuning things you would consider basic such as start up maps under various temperatures and map adjustment under various conditions such as barometric changes or temperature changes. Once these are done the part thottle and full throttle maps are pretty basic With a car like the GT3 there are thousands of maps probably available. Boosting it you will add another parameter to tune for but should not be too difficult for a experienced tuner.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    These guys make some bad ass cars.