Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Sound Performance built PTE 6266 CEA BMW N55 single turbo E82 135i

Just a rev video was posted. I'm surprised there aren't more details around on this and why no shots under the hood?

Would love to know about the tuning too.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    6266 n55...... Interesting.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    6266 n55...... Interesting.
    That's what I though.t

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hardware is the easy part, lets see it actually run. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd like to even see the hardware at this point...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    An N55 is much easier to built a single it for than an N54. Its already set up for the lines, O2's etc, as long as its a 2011 tuning will be straight forward too. These will be common very soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, I'd think hardware upgrades would be fairly easy on these compared to the N54, but isn't tuning still a challenge on these? And isn't the motor not nearly as strong from the factory?
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, I'd think hardware upgrades would be fairly easy on these compared to the N54, but isn't tuning still a challenge on these? And isn't the motor not nearly as strong from the factory?
    2011's are fully flash tunable, saying the engine is not as strong is 100% speculation no one knows for sure. People said the same thing about the N54

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds good! More info needed!
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    2011's are fully flash tunable, saying the engine is not as strong is 100% speculation no one knows for sure. People said the same thing about the N54
    Ok, I thought they had been torn down and found it was all cast. My B. So only 2011 is fully flashable? Gotta love it when manufacturers keep a motor and change the ECU. I'm looking 2014 RAM Cummins 2500's and there seems to be quite a few challenges in the aftermarket on them.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    looks promising!
    135i N55 DCT / JB4 / CP-E 5" DP / BMS CP / CTS Turbo 7" FMIC / KW V3 / M3 Bushings / M3 Front Control Arms / 3.25" SS exhaust / to be continued...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Need more details on this but this would be nice to see completed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    2011 and first half of 2012 is flashable, but not to the same level as N54's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JET Click here to enlarge
    I spoke with PTF and they confirmed they have basically the same control of the N55 as they do the N54 at this point, but the tuning approach is much different between the two motors, and its a learning process to get the N55 to where the N54 is

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JET Click here to enlarge
    Looks like a fun project! I've not seen any single turbo N55s around these parts. Some day when one turns up we'll look in to the tuning.

PS. The N55 Cobb stuff is simply awful and no where near as good as their N54 stuff. For single turbo N54 automatic cars I prefer the maps we wrote in Cobb's environment. But with the N55 it's a real headache getting it to do what you want it to do consistently.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Looks like a fun project! I've not seen any single turbo N55s around these parts. Some day when one turns up we'll look in to the tuning.

PS. The N55 Cobb stuff is simply awful and no where near as good as their N54 stuff. For single turbo N54 automatic cars I prefer the maps we wrote in Cobb's environment. But with the N55 it's a real headache getting it to do what you want it to do consistently.
    If you are talking OTS maps, you are 100% correct, literally awful from everything we have heard, but who really runs OTS maps these days, if you are gonna spend the money to upgrade, get a tune, its the only way to fly..Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    If you are talking OTS maps, you are 100% correct, literally awful from everything we have heard, but who really runs OTS maps these days, if you are gonna spend the money to upgrade, get a tune, its the only way to fly..Click here to enlarge
    lol no the OTS maps are not usable. I'm talking about the custom tune mapping. We use it to tune your Stage2 turbos on N55s for back end flash mapping. It works nicely for changing around the AFR, fuel trims, and maximum timing curves. That's basically all we can do with it. No VANOS control, no speed delimiter, and the N55 load/boost targeting is completely awful. I've been toying around with it even though we don't require it with the JB4 running boost and it's vomit inducing.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol no the OTS maps are not usable. I'm talking about the custom tune mapping. We use it to tune your Stage2 turbos on N55s for back end flash mapping. It works nicely for changing around the AFR, fuel trims, and maximum timing curves. That's basically all we can do with it. No VANOS control, no speed delimiter, and the N55 load/boost targeting is completely awful. I've been toying around with it even though we don't require it with the JB4 running boost and it's vomit inducing.
    I've got some pretty different feedback from 2-3 customers running the stage 2's with the custom tuning, they are happy as can be. I can only take your word and their word, we have no real world experience to go on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've got some pretty different feedback from 2-3 customers running the stage 2's with the custom tuning, they are happy as can be. I can only take your word and their word, we have no real world experience to go on.
    It's possible it can be figured out, I'm not sure, but I'm definitely pulling my hair out in the process.

For example here is a log from earlier today. The boost curve is the typical 20psi tapering to 17psi curve I find works well with your N55 Stage2 turbo.

What I'm trying to do is get the DME boost target (what boost curve the flash wants to run), the red line, to better mirror the actual boost curve we're running. But no matter what I change and I think I've been through every table now, the DME tapers its boost target to around 10psi at redline. I'll keep chugging away on it but it's been a huge time waste so far. If you're telling me you have flash only customers running more than 10psi at redline that is at least promising that it can be done in there somehow.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's possible it can be figured out, I'm not sure, but I'm definitely pulling my hair out in the process.For example here is a log from earlier today. The boost curve is the typical 20psi tapering to 17psi curve I find works well with your N55 Stage2 turbo.

What I'm trying to do is get the DME boost target (what boost curve the flash wants to run), the red line, to better mirror the actual boost curve we're running. But no matter what I change and I think I've been through every table now, the DME tapers its boost target to around 10psi at redline. I'll keep chugging away on it but it's been a huge time waste so far. If you're telling me you have flash only customers running more than 10psi at redline that is at least promising that it can be done in there somehow.
    Lukes car is flash tuned by PTF. He is only running 93 fuel but the logs show at least 13psi redline:
    http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003520

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by curare Click here to enlarge
    Lukes car is flash tuned by PTF. He is only running 93 fuel but the logs show at least 13psi redline:
    http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003520
    Looks like 13psi @ 6500rpm. I'm not sure what to make of that log though. If you look at their "req boost psi" which I believe that is the same as our DME BT it's showing a target of only around 9psi yet boost is much higher and throttle is 100% which is unnatural behavior for the N55 DME. Based on that I'd guess they just disabled the throttle safety all together and are tuning it off duty cycle. That isn't what I'm looking to do here. I just want a DME boost set point of 14-17psi at redline on the flash side.

In the Cobb N55 software there are some wonky features like setting the DME to run a set boost level across the board regardless of throttle position, etc. Also not useful for what I'm looking to do.

The N55 Cobb software definitely needs a lot of work. I hope (for the platforms case) they stick with it and improve it.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 07-19-2014 at 12:33 AM.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You assume wrong. Not a single safety has been disabled. Logged req boost psi is just a bogus channel. You need to spend more time with the software to make these calls. It was quite a bit more complicated to figure out than the N54 but its been figured out and can be done. With the upgraded n55 hybrids we can hit higher loads no problem and the car loves it Click here to enlarge

That timing curve in your log looks really off for 93 and there are heavy throttle closures that need attention.
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 07-19-2014 at 08:29 AM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    You assume wrong. Not a single safety has been disabled. Logged req boost psi is just a bogus channel. You need to spend more time with the software to make these calls. It was quite a bit more complicated to figure out than the N54 but its been figured out and can be done. With the upgraded n55 hybrids we can hit higher loads no problem and the car loves it Click here to enlarge

That timing curve in your log looks really off for 93 and there are heavy throttle closures that need attention.
    When do we get to see a ptf turbo on an n55? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    Odd that boost target loggable parameter is not accurate. I guess I'm not surprised. The Cobb OTS maps already reduce the throttle safety by around 50%. It would be easy to reduce it by 90% or 100% if you wanted by setting the values all to .998 or .999. I noticed if you want to use their "fixed" DME BT you need to also disable the throttle or it just closes when boost goes over the calculated load. Too bad because otherwise that would be a neat way to tune single turbos.

Thanks captain obvious. Not going to waste my time dialing in the various tuning maps until the boost reference (what all those tables are indexed on) is doing what I want it to do.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 07-19-2014 at 04:51 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    So you have a large turbo N55 car running 17-20psi at redline using this software? Log of it?
    They have done everything it seems, but no info on anything. Comes around the corner, says we did it a long time ago. No logs or info... I really don't understand PTF. They have great products, but it's like secrecy...
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast