Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

11 out of 11 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Another Custom Single Turbo N54 in the works

Hey Guys,

Figured I'd share my build/progress in converting to single. This thread will hopefully allow me to share my progress and get any feedback/assistance I might need as I come across different obstacles.

The current plan is to go with the following setup

-PTE 6266 Gen 2, Ported S cover, T4 Divided 1.00 A/R, 3 5/8" V-band Discharge
    -twin PTE 46mm Wastegates
    -custom fabbed twin scroll manifold, downpipe, and dump tubes
    -MAC solenoid

I realize there's other ancillary things I will need to upgrade (I have a list, lol), but the initial project is just get the aspiration conversion done. Don't want to do too many projects at once. Any constructive feedback/criticism is welcome.

Here's the pictures! (sorry, some of these were taken through my old potato, i have since acquired a new spud)

Getting started with the tear-down...
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    RBs out. They look to be in excellent condition. Such tiny!

Click here to enlarge
    RB's next to a PTE 6266 JB (not mine, this one is going on a Supra soon)

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    That bottom lip of the flat surface where the exhaust ports are is razor sharp! Cut the crap out of myself on it.
    -'09 135i MT - Custom 6466 ST - 680whp Click here to enlarge
    -'08 135i AT - 6466 ST - dead
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Congrats and goodluck!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Manifold Materials ordered. Ordered 2 O2 bungs as well.

Click here to enlarge
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    goodluck!
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    GL man keep us posted
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Xearom3 Click here to enlarge
    Manifold Materials ordered. Ordered 2 O2 bungs as well.

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...0e65720c-1.png
    That's pretty thin material, might wanna consider going to sch10 pipe for the manifold or use 321SS if you want to stick to tubing. Other than that, good luck with the build!
    H O O N

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Same exact turbo I'm using on my e92. Good luck on the build!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Snertz Click here to enlarge
    That's pretty thin material, might wanna consider going to sch10 pipe for the manifold or use 321SS if you want to stick to tubing. Other than that, good luck with the build!
    x2 Sch10 at the least.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    x2 Sch10 at the least.
    Hmm... Well the materials I've ordered are already shipped. Plus, it seems the place I ordered it from doesn't offer 321 stainless. Since it wasn't terribly expensive, Ill give the 16g a try first. Will keep everyone posted.
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Get it coated, and fabricate a brace to hold up the turbo on that material. Its not the best to make a manifold from. Be sure something will hold the weight of the turbo off the manifold tubing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by williams Click here to enlarge
    Get it coated, and fabricate a brace to hold up the turbo on that material. Its not the best to make a manifold from. Be sure something will hold the weight of the turbo off the manifold tubing.
    This is what I had planned to do. There's some convenient bolt holes left from the removal of the boost canisters / Coolant reservoir that i can use to mount a bracket to, to support the weight of the turbo.
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    This is what I had planned to do. There's some convenient bolt holes left from the removal of the boost canisters / Coolant reservoir that i can use to mount a bracket to, to support the weight of the turbo.
    do not mount the turbo solidly to the chassis of the car! Mount it to the block because they need to move together as the engine shifts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mycoupe Click here to enlarge
    do not mount the turbo solidly to the chassis of the car! Mount it to the block because they need to move together as the engine shifts.
    would a good rubber flexible mount be alright to mount the turbo with?

or does the engine move THAT much on it's own mounts?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    mount it to the block.
    08' 135i - Cobb Custom E70, FBO, LSD, Suspension stuff... FOR SALE
    LSXOCET - 550hp LS3 @ 1600 lbs curb weight... being built
    (OLD) 11 Camaro SS - 10.20@135 naturally aspirated @630rwhp.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Hmm... Well the materials I've ordered are already shipped. Plus, it seems the place I ordered it from doesn't offer 321 stainless. Since it wasn't terribly expensive, Ill give the 16g a try first. Will keep everyone posted.
    It doesn't matter if it has shipped, Colombia River takes things back with no questions asked, we buy things from them all the time, trying to build a manifold out of 16G pipe is a disaster, it plain will just not work and will end up cracking very quickly. If you are going through all this work why are you going to skimp and use the complete wrong materials to save a few bucks, do it right the first time or you will spend more money doing it twice in a short period of time, mark my words.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You need to bring someone in to help you who has some experience, the things you are doing so far as going to end causing you many headaches in the end. This is a great forum to get advice and you did the right thing coming here, but in order for it work, you have to take the advice. Send that material back, get weld els, and do not mount any that is hung from the motor to the chassis.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    That 16g is going to fail pretty quickly. Cheap ebay manifolds even use thicker materials these days.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    how much more expensive is correctly sized 321?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    In for lulz , I second all the advise above and add that whomever is building the manifold should know both the material and mounting ideas are bad ideas if they were competent fabricators .. I wish you luck tho
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    In for lulz , I second all the advise above and add that whomever is building the manifold should know both the material and mounting ideas are bad ideas if they were competent fabricators .. I wish you luck tho
    i was assuming it was OP who was the fabricator, full DIY style?

the only 321 pieces i can find look like... at least twice the price, maybe 2.5x

still, better off going with the material that'll actually suit no?

ED: and the thickest i can find is 16ga.. if you make a 321 manifold, i assume you have to built a support for it?
    Last edited by Flinchy; 07-09-2014 at 01:16 AM.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok, not mounting it to the chassis. That makes sense. I wasn't thinking when I said that.

On the materials thing, what do I need to actually get then? 321? Thicker 304? What?
    Also, Columbia River doesn't offer 321SS or anything thicker than 16 gauge that I can find on their website. Anyone have a better source for this stuff?

PS. Guys, no need to flip out. I'm here to get some pointers/assistance, just chill lol.
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Ok, not mounting it to the chassis. That makes sense. I wasn't thinking when I said that.

On the materials thing, what do I need to actually get then? 321? Thicker 304? What?
    Also, Columbia River doesn't offer 321SS or anything thicker than 16 gauge that I can find on their website. Anyone have a better source for this stuff?

PS. Guys, no need to flip out. I'm here to get some pointers/assistance, just chill lol.
    No one is flipping out, when you ask for advice and it is given, then you say thanks anyways I am going to stick with what you have because you already ordered it, then there is really no point in asking for advice, my biggest piece of advice after reading your posts is, do not try to do this on your own, you do not know enough to do it right and it is going to end up coming out poorly. Do a google search for weld els, that is the material you need to use at least SCH 10.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would PM as many people that build they're own kits as you could to find out specifics it they're not willing to share on a public forum.
    Take some time to do more research. Good Luck with it! Cant wait to see what design you come up with Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    No one is flipping out, when you ask for advice and it is given, then you say thanks anyways I am going to stick with what you have because you already ordered it, then there is really no point in asking for advice, my biggest piece of advice after reading your posts is, do not try to do this on your own, you do not know enough to do it right and it is going to end up coming out poorly. Do a google search for weld els, that is the material you need to use at least SCH 10.
    Ok, so now 'I'm' saying that I'm not going to listen? When did I say that? I just responded asking what specifically I need to be using... Now you say that posting this thread is pointless, and that I should give up because somehow I'm incapable? Also, what makes you so sure that I am doing this alone?

Maybe I'm mis-reading, who knows. Thanks for the tip, will look into it.
    -'97 318is - Daily
    -'82 320i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just noticed what wastegates you're going to use. I might add that there might not be space for two of those. PTE wastegates are much bigger than TIAL, esp the 46mm. I would rec 38mm Tial MVS for tight spaces like this you will encounter.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast