Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Non US cars flashing issues workaround

There's been some problems when flashing non US-spec cars with US bin files. Files work but there's some persistent fault codes about DMTL pump (non US cars doesn't have one), coding missing, etc.

If you use TunerPro Difference Tool and copy all of the defined values from the modified bin to the the copy of your original bin, the car wont start.

That's because the Load Target tables are not identical.

US and EU Load Target 1 RPM

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

US and EU Load Target 1

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

As you can see the US Load Target header begins from 1775 and EU values from 1300.

The solution is to copy the defined items which differ without Load Target # RPM and Load Target # values. You have to change the Load Target # values manually to your bin. If you're not familiar with these values, just leave the value under the 1300 header to stock and copy rest of the values from the modified bin.

I hope this helps you non US car owners. At least, this workaround solved my non compatible flash issues. I do not guarantee that it's the case with every car. And as normal, I don't take responsibility if you brick your car by modifying these values.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by -335i- Click here to enlarge
    Files work but there's some persistent fault codes about DMTL pump (non US cars doesn't have one), coding missing, etc.
    So how then would I prevent these fault codes from popping up?
    Having these codes in my DME is a dead give away that I messed with the DME if I need to go to the dealer...
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    So how then would I prevent these fault codes from popping up?
    Having these codes in my DME is a dead give away that I messed with the DME if I need to go to the dealer...
    You need to flash the DME with your original bin... Force write first and after that do the normal write. That should do it.

After you modify the copy of your original bin with the proper values, you don't have DMTL or Coding Missing faults anymore.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good post. It's always best to modify your original bin, assuming there is an XDF for it. If there isn't things get sticky, but there's still hope, just need to go slowly. You're very lucky the table memory addresses were the same or you'd have to point some of the tables to the right ones using locations you find from modeling them in other programs. No fun.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There's been some problems when flashing non US-spec cars with US bin files. Files work but there's some persistent fault codes about DMTL pump (non US cars doesn't have one), coding missing, etc.

If you use TunerPro Difference Tool and copy all of the defined values from the modified bin to the the copy of your original bin, the car wont start.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

US and EU Load Target 1

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

As you can see the US Load Target header begins from 1775 and EU values from 1300.

The solution is to copy the defined items which differ without Load Target # RPM and Load Target # values. You have to change the Load Target # values manually to your bin. If you're not familiar with these values, just leave the value under the 1300 header to stock and copy rest of the values from the modified bin.

I hope this helps you non US car owners. At least, this workaround solved my non compatible flash issues. I do not guarantee that it's the case with every car. And as normal, I don't take responsibility if you brick your car by modifying these values.
    I'm surprised this isn't being appreciated more. Very good post and solution thank you sir!

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    When i Asked Cobb about this a year ago they just told me to go back to stock and reflash my ap.. Did not help ofc and I've been running with the fault ever since. Is there no way to get COBB to sort this? I'm not comfortable to do the things you explained.. And it is $#@! annoying have engine light on at all times..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have an european 135i (IJEOS), and I never had issues with BMS flash.
    great for you if you solved your issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trebila Click here to enlarge
    I have an european 135i (IJEOS), and I never had issues with BMS flash.
    great for you if you solved your issue.
    That's because you're flashing directly a BMS file (or a modified copy) to your Euro car.

I have tried like the OP to flash a Euro stock bin modified with the US values from various BMS flashes and every time the cars wouldn't start. If I flash the US bin then the cars start fine.

OP thanks that's a good find! Wish I could rep you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I never had an issue flashing BMS flash on my european car.
    I tried your solution to flash my car with BMS tables on my original OEM flash, and after flashing, car doesn't start...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I never had an issue flashing BMS flash on my european car.
    I tried your solution to flash my car with BMS tables on my original OEM flash, and after flashing, car doesn't start...
    My car is I8A0S and the check engine light was popping up on time to time. I did also have 3 different DMTL fault codes 2A13, 2A17 and 2A18 + 2FA3 coding missing fault. You haven't had any of these faults with US bin?

Did you change all of the defined parameters which the difference tool found? Or did you actually leave the Load Target 1 RPM and Load Target 2 RPM parameters as they were on stock bin? I changed the Load Target 1 & Load Target 2 values manually viewing the charts on HEX just for sure because sometimes copy & paste with DEC values is putting minus before the copied value.

There's also some differences in Diagnostic Code HEX values. For example: BMS.bin diagnostic code value = 11 / original.bin = C6. This could point on memory mapping mismatch and if that's the case, it definitely could affect the car not to start... If I remember right I did leave all of those values to stock.

I'm not an expert in the field of car programming. Hell, I've just flashed my DME at the first time about 3 weeks ago. I started to solve these problems and wanted to post my findings right away to help others wrestling with the same issues. I'ts good to have more people to try these and have feedback to point out the true problems. If the Diagnostic Code items are also messing up the starting. I'll ask permission from the admins to modify my first post and add the findings there.

And thanks for the V8Bait about pointing me to right direction (cannot rep).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had the DTML code when Terry shared his flash, a year ago, so Terry modified them, and I never had another issue with his flash (IJEOS).

today, I tried to copy all the BMS tables on my Original flash, then I switch back to EU OEM load(RPM) breakpoints to keep the original header starting at 1300rpm, as you stated, but the car doesn't start with this flash, so I uploaded back BMS E85 AT, and car runs fine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had the DTML code when Terry shared his flash, a year ago, so Terry modified them, and I never had another issue with his flash (IJEOS).

today, I tried to copy all the BMS tables on my Original flash, then I switch back to EU OEM load(RPM) breakpoints to keep the original header starting at 1300rpm, as you stated, but the car doesn't start with this flash, so I uploaded back BMS E85 AT, and car runs fine.
    Did you do force & normal write with that modified bin?

When I first had the issue, I flashed back to the original bin. There was still one DMTL code and coding missing faults present. Then I did the force write and normal write, codes were gone. Maybe there's some stuff left inside the DME?

When I copied all of the the defined items to the original bin, car was not starting. Again force & normal write with original.

Then I modified original bin with BMS flash values leaving these items to stock: Load Target # RPM, Load Target # and Diagnostic Codes. Then I altered only the Load target # values (typing with HEX) similar to BMS flash, leaving the value under the 1300 header to stock... Everything is working and no codes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R3dnax Click here to enlarge
    When i Asked Cobb about this a year ago they just told me to go back to stock and reflash my ap.. Did not help ofc and I've been running with the fault ever since. Is there no way to get COBB to sort this? I'm not comfortable to do the things you explained.. And it is $#@! annoying have engine light on at all times..
    Maybe you could give COBB a little hint about this? They are pro guys and I'm sure they can address these kind of things with ease... if it's a issue big enough for them. There's a huge markets in USA + no EU 335's to test with. So I guess "few" AP's sold to Europe is not their main concern + the cars do work with US flash & you're flashing it to stock anyway before inspection/dealer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Originally when I used the difference tool with the Vishnu Flex Fuel Beta, my car wouldn't start. (Australia) I sent Shiv my rom file and he sent back a rom that did work. I never did find out how or why, so I am guessing this is the reason. This is good to know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kabnine Click here to enlarge
    Originally when I used the difference tool with the Vishnu Flex Fuel Beta, my car wouldn't start. (Australia) I sent Shiv my rom file and he sent back a rom that did work. I never did find out how or why, so I am guessing this is the reason. This is good to know.
    Can you please PM me your original bin, the flex fuel beta bin you compared your original bin with and the file modified by Shiv so I can dig the differences between the 3 files?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you do force & normal write with that modified bin?

When I first had the issue, I flashed back to the original bin. There was still one DMTL code and coding missing faults present. Then I did the force write and normal write, codes were gone. Maybe there's some stuff left inside the DME?

When I copied all of the the defined items to the original bin, car was not starting. Again force & normal write with original.

Then I modified original bin with BMS flash values leaving these items to stock: Load Target # RPM, Load Target # and Diagnostic Codes. Then I altered only the Load target # values (typing with HEX) similar to BMS flash, leaving the value under the 1300 header to stock... Everything is working and no codes.
    I did a normal write which took 14 min, instead of 1-2 min.
    I kept BMS load target values, with EU (original) load (rpm) breakpoints (starting at 1300rpm).

have you tried the opposite, to copy the undefined items values from your original bin to a US BIN?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I did a normal write which took 14 min, instead of 1-2 min.
    I kept BMS load target values, with EU (original) load (rpm) breakpoints (starting at 1300rpm).

have you tried the opposite, to copy the undefined items values from your original bin to a US BIN?
    Yep, and that was not working... the DMTL codes and Program Missing is in the undefined values.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry... I was reading your post in a hurry.

No, I have not tried that, but I guess there will be conflict with load target values anyway.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry... I was reading your post in a hurry.

No, I have not tried that, but I guess there will be conflict with load target values anyway.
    Not sure.
    I've changed a BMS bin with EU load (RPM) breakpoints, and no issue.
    it seems to be even more smooth at low load.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not sure.
    I've changed a BMS bin with EU load (RPM) breakpoints, and no issue.
    it seems to be even more smooth at low load.
    What version of the xdf file you're using with your IJE0S? I'm not seeing Load Targets in the IJE0S.xdf downloaded from N54Tech.

IJE0S

Click here to enlarge

IA80S

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I use the XDF file with the 3D fuel scalars, not the one from N54tech.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

US and EU Load Target 1

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Olé tus wevos...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hello, my name is Oliver and I am from Spain. Having the same problem

Elm327 cable to use with tunerpro program?

you can download and use this tunerpro the tunerpro RT??

Thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oliver335i Click here to enlarge

Thanks.
    Anyone?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oliver335i Click here to enlarge
    Thanks.
    The flashing program (BB Flash) is available here in the dowloads section. It lets you flash binary files that you can edit with tuner pro. Only BB Flash can flash the files, not tuner pro. To use BB Flash you need a Bavarian Technic cable, single vin version (or no vin) is enough. Only this cable works, no Elm327 cable is supported by the BB flash program.
    Finally you'd better flash full programs to begin with, not make a mix of Euro/US, to make sure everything is working fine.
    Hope this helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast