Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Post proTuning Freaks is tackling the Porsche 997 Turbos - Intro and 997.1 Turbo tuning results

It's our pleasure to be part of the Porsche community on this board. We've been part of the Germanboost network but for those that may not know us here we are an aftermarket tuning company based out of Toronto, Canada and Rockville, Maryland, US. Our primary focus for many years has been forced induction tuning, live remote tuning (aka e-tuning). We have considerable experience tuning direct injection platforms like the 997.2 turbos coming from BMW's direction injection motors, namely N54 and N55.

With the N54 we've pushed the platform furthest of any custom flash tuner in the World and have taken multiple power and track records in the past. We are a very committed group of car enthusiasts and the company was born out of passion towards a hobby we all loved for many years.

@COBB Tuning's AccessPort and AccessTuner platform has been the driving force behind all of the custom tuning services we offer thus far on a number of platforms and the reasons for this are many that we can discuss here for those interested.

In case you're interested in the work we've done so far you can do go to our facebook page or follow us on Instagram, even a google search on BMW COBB protune, BMW protune should provide some good results to some work we've done. Our priority has always been the enthusiast, providing the highest level of quality service in custom tuning and support to our customers and just as we've done with the BMW's N54 and N55 platform we hope to be given a chance here and push along further together with the community.

We've had a fair share of testing done on our shop's 997.1 turbo over the past few weeks and we'll be sharing some pictures and data we've gathered so far with the Cobb AP while doing dyno testing and, much more importantly, street and track testing and data gathering. We also have a 997.2 Turbo S (PDK) as our project car which we are tuning in parallel with the 6MT 997.1 turbo.

We are looking to work with everyone here and become part of the community with our contributions that we hope you'll find useful, fun, interesting as much as we do and have always especially when it comes to refinement in performance tuning and pushing the envelope. We're excited and hope you'll find our information on the 997.1 and 997.2s useful and interesting whether you own a Porsche 997.1/.2 turbo/GT2 or looking to learn about the platform in general.

Click here to enlarge

Here are some initial results with our custom 997.1 custom tuning. The car has the following modifications:

KLINE Exhaust (currently running DECAT pipes, tuning with 200cell cats to follow)
    997.2 Intercoolers
    IPD Plenum
    Pump 93 (98 RON) octane
    OEM everything else.

Weather Conditions: 30C Ambient, 70% Humidity, 101.4 kPa Barometric Pressure, in other words HOT! Weather conditions are the worst they can possibly be for this part of Canada and outside the 2-3 months of summer we get the conditions do improve

As we always believed in full disclosure with our results and never worried about showing only the highest peak numbers for the sake of marketing we decided to still post these results in the worst of conditions for us. We are strong believers in transparency in our tuning and results and, when the weather improves, we can/will show numbers in much better weather conditions if anything as a comparison for those interested in seeing them.

Dyno numbers overview:
    - Stage 2 93 octane OTS (Off The Shelf, preloaded and comes with the Cobb AccessPort): 492WHP 506WTQ
    - Our initial PTF Stage 2 custom map: 535WHP 562WTQ

Gains of +43WHP +56WTQ over the OTS Stage 2 93 octane map with more than +70WHP and +70WTQ in midrange!

Unfortunately we didn't get to dyno the car when it was bone stock but we will try to do so for baseline reasons next time if anything to show what our project car does on the OEM tune with the modifications in place. If we go by what is typically seen on a properly calibrated Mustang dynos out there we know very well a bone stock 997.1 turbo will put down in the neighbourhood of 390-420whp 390-420wtq on pump 93 octane on a Mustang AWD dyno.

As all dynos read differently and conditions do vary this number isn't concrete obviously but it does give you a rough idea on what you can expect from an OTS tune, a custom tune and some minimal boltons on a 997.1 with Cobb's AccessPort and pump gas. OTS maps provide great gains and excellent drivability without our custom tuning already but being off the shelf they do leave some room for customization for any given car's particular modifications, octane, conditions, elevation, type of driving, etc which is where we can help.

This was certainly not an all out tuning session for the 997.1 and much more is certainly to come with this car modification and tuning wise. As for the 997.2TTS unfortunately we didn't have time to do any custom tuning due to time constraints. Those numbers we're hoping to have available shortly.

Click here to enlarge

I do apologize for the format of the graph as its just a picture of a printed graph at this time. I do promise to provide more aesthetically pleasing dyno graph JPGs down the road .

If any questions at all feel free to drop me a line over PM or email me at any time (email in my sig below). For those that have ordered a Cobb AccessPort through us to take advantage of our custom tuning service bundled offer, thank you, and we look forward to working with you.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    To kick things off, here are some results on our 997.1 6MT with a COBB AP Stage 1 93 octane map a few weeks ago, fully stock hardware.

100-200km/hr:
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

60-100mph:
    Click here to enlarge

60-130mph:
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Awesome, the P-car community just picked up a solid new asset...Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks Tony! Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

60-130 with just a pro-COBB tune and no aftermarket exhaust is effing quick, good job

Be interested to see with exhaust and race gas Click here to enlarge
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    60-130 with just a pro-COBB tune and no aftermarket exhaust is effing quick, good job
    Be interested to see with exhaust and race gas Click here to enlarge
    Thanks @Group.america. Looking forward to it as well Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Very cool! Seems like a natural progression to me.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks @bobS
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is good stuff @dzenno@PTF. Need to see some graphs from cars you've tuned though.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Here are some initial results with our custom 997.1 custom tuning. The car has the following modifications:

KLINE Exhaust (currently running DECAT pipes, tuning with 200cell cats to follow)
    997.2 Intercoolers
    IPD Plenum
    Pump 93 (98 RON) octane
    OEM everything else.

Weather Conditions: 30C Ambient, 70% Humidity, 101.4 kPa Barometric Pressure, in other words HOT! Weather conditions are the worst they can possibly be for this part of Canada and outside the 2-3 months of summer we get the conditions do improve Click here to enlarge

As we always believed in full disclosure with our results and never worried about showing only the highest peak numbers for the sake of marketing we decided to still post these results in the worst of conditions for us. We are strong believers in transparency in our tuning and results and, when the weather improves, we can/will show numbers in much better weather conditions if anything as a comparison for those interested in seeing them.

Dyno numbers overview:
    - Stage 2 93 octane OTS (Off The Shelf, preloaded and comes with the Cobb AccessPort): 492WHP 506WTQ

Gains of +43WHP +56WTQ over the OTS Stage 2 93 octane map with more than +70WHP and +70WTQ in midrange!

Unfortunately we didn't get to dyno the car when it was bone stock but we will try to do so for baseline reasons next time if anything to show what our project car does on the OEM tune with the modifications in place. If we go by what is typically seen on a properly calibrated Mustang dynos out there we know very well a bone stock 997.1 turbo will put down in the neighbourhood of 390-420whp 390-420wtq on pump 93 octane on a Mustang AWD dyno.

As all dynos read differently and conditions do vary this number isn't concrete obviously but it does give you a rough idea on what you can expect from an OTS tune, a custom tune and some minimal boltons on a 997.1 with Cobb's AccessPort and pump gas. OTS maps provide great gains and excellent drivability without our custom tuning already but being off the shelf they do leave some room for customization for any given car's particular modifications, octane, conditions, elevation, type of driving, etc which is where we can help.

This was certainly not an all out tuning session for the 997.1 and much more is certainly to come with this car modification and tuning wise. As for the 997.2TTS unfortunately we didn't have time to do any custom tuning due to time constraints. Those numbers we're hoping to have available shortly.

Click here to enlarge

I do apologize for the format of the graph as its just a picture of a printed graph at this time. I do promise to provide more aesthetically pleasing dyno graph JPGs down the road Click here to enlarge

If any questions at all feel free to drop me a line over PM or email me at any time (email in my sig below). For those that have ordered a Cobb AccessPort through us to take advantage of our custom tuning service bundled offer, thank you, and we look forward to working with you.

Dzenno@PTF
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 07-02-2014 at 10:22 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For the sake of some real world comparisons, here are some numbers from some other cars on this same dyno on pump octane, although a different day/conditions:

2010 Murcielago 446 WHP
    Gallardo Superleggera 407.1 WHP
    Z06 Corvette stock 404WHP 418WTQ
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    997.1 Porsche Turbo is their best car ever IMHO (sans the super models)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That good stuff Dzenno but man try to get me a cleaner looking graph to work with!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge

997.2 Intercoolers
    IPD Plenum
    Pump 93 (98 RON) octane
    OEM everything else.

Weather Conditions: 30C Ambient, 70% Humidity, 101.4 kPa Barometric Pressure, in other words HOT! Weather conditions are the worst they can possibly be for this part of Canada and outside the 2-3 months of summer we get the conditions do improve Click here to enlarge

Dyno numbers overview:

http://www.PorscheBoost.com/images/i...ateline1-1.jpg

I do apologize for the format of the graph as its just a picture of a printed graph at this time. I do promise to provide more aesthetically pleasing dyno graph JPGs down the road Click here to enlarge

Dzenno@PTF
    The IDP plenum, is worth the $? My engine is coming out for injectors etc, should I do this? What whp does it give on your car (93 custom tune) and what do you think it might be worth on a id1000cc injector E85 tune?
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    The IDP plenum, is worth the $? My engine is coming out for injectors etc, should I do this? What whp does it give on your car (93 custom tune) and what do you think it might be worth on a id1000cc injector E85 tune?
    To be honest, a local customer I've helped out numerous times bought the IPD plenum for me as a gift just recently and I put it on. I'm yet to test it back to back against OEM to see if it truly adds power on the same tune, same day, same dyno type scenario. What I've seen in the logs with it so far I'm really not sure what to say. Some have dynoed like longboarder back to back and he's seen it gain power on his 997.2 in midrange. I "think" I have as well but I won't say anything for sure until I've had more time to look at it closely. I'd throw those injectors on and run E85 and not worry about the plenum at the moment. There are SO many parts out there that claim superiority over OEM that I have a very hard time believing but I won't name any or say this does/doesn't work at this point. With time those things will be brought to light but it requires appropriate testing and attention to detail before claiming something as "not worth" changing. Sometimes its not about power, its about quality of the part or throttle response, etc. I do think if anything I've felt a slight positive change in throttle response. Mine is a 74mm and I don't see any point on VTGs to go with the 84mm and the larger throttle body, but again, this is just from what I know based on other FI platforms and changing charge piping diameter etc.

You don't need to pull the motor down to get this installed although if it does make it a bit easier. Took me about two hours to get it in there on the first try going very slow but if I were to do it again it'd probably take about 45mins.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    That good stuff Dzenno but man try to get me a cleaner looking graph to work with!
    Its not that bad. Next time it'll be more official and aesthetically pleasing but the point here is in the numbers/gains for the minimal mods and what's possible with custom tuning on pump gas.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    To be honest, a local customer I've helped out numerous times bought the IPD plenum for me as a gift just recently and I put it on. I'm yet to test it back to back against OEM to see if it truly adds power on the same tune, same day, same dyno type scenario. What I've seen in the logs with it so far I'm really not sure what to say. Some have dynoed like longboarder back to back and he's seen it gain power on his 997.2 in midrange. I "think" I have as well but I won't say anything for sure until I've had more time to look at it closely. I'd throw those injectors on and run E85 and not worry about the plenum at the moment. There are SO many parts out there that claim superiority over OEM that I have a very hard time believing but I won't name any or say this does/doesn't work at this point. With time those things will be brought to light but it requires appropriate testing and attention to detail before claiming something as "not worth" changing. Sometimes its not about power, its about quality of the part or throttle response, etc. I do think if anything I've felt a slight positive change in throttle response. Mine is a 74mm and I don't see any point on VTGs to go with the 84mm and the larger throttle body, but again, this is just from what I know based on other FI platforms and changing charge piping diameter etc.

You don't need to pull the motor down to get this installed although if it does make it a bit easier. Took me about two hours to get it in there on the first try going very slow but if I were to do it again it'd probably take about 45mins.
    I think an independent IPD plenum test would be very helpful.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Thanks! I'll "just" do injectors now and E85 Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I think an independent IPD plenum test would be very helpful.
    I agree, after a while Mod A+B+C+D does not get more hp and talk with A+B+C+D+E

these tests by Dzenno are great though because I can test my times and whp etc agains theirs... based on my one reading = 517 rwhp and 3.4s 60-100 is about right given they are at 3.23s 60-100 mph, better gearing and about 492 awhp

I should have kept the 997.1 and got the Protune Freaks COBB service... oh well we live and spend more money anyway

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd like to see 100-200 or 60-130 mph times with a 997.2 turbo PDK + software Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lfelunden Click here to enlarge
    I'd like to see 100-200 or 60-130 mph times with a 997.2 turbo PDK + software Click here to enlarge
    Its coming. The car is an absolute beast Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Its not that bad. Next time it'll be more official and aesthetically pleasing but the point here is in the numbers/gains for the minimal mods and what's possible with custom tuning on pump gas.
    Have you used the VBOX-PBOX power measurement tool, it seems very close to accurate on the few measurements I have done on BMW 540i and the 996 TTS, awfully good little tool if you do not have a dyno all the time

BMW 540i 240 rwhp (which is close to the 290 or so crank)
    TTS 996 517 rwhp (we measured crank = 600 bhp at local)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Posted in the 1st post Click here to enlarge use it all the time
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Some pics from the past dyno. Mike's always a great help..

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

We weighed both the 997.1 and the 997.2 on all 4 corners on the way onto the rollers for proper Mustang dyno calibration followed by a run to 165mph with coating in neutral to record parasitic losses. This is a pic of the 997.2 pdk car on the scales:

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OP edited and promoted to article.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast