Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Motor Trend McLaren P1 test - 9.8 sec @ 148.9 mph. Fastest ever tested by MT

What's harder to make, an F1 race car or the road-going McLaren P1? McLaren ought to know, as it makes both. If you ask someone there, such as Mark Vinnels, the head of product development, he'll pause for a second, think, and then say, "The road car."Why? Consider that the P1 is a rear-drive hybrid with 904 horsepower but isn't penalized with a gas-guzzler tax. Consider that it's mostly carbon fiber, from passenger tub to the five body panels to the mostly naked interior. Consider that its exterior is sculpted primarily for airflow, and that it makes so much downforce (1323 pounds at 160 mph) that McLaren has to adjust the wing at high speed to avoid breaking things. Consider that the P1 uses concepts from McLaren's F1 efforts, many of which (active aerodynamics and suspension, brake steering) were banned from the sport. Consider that the top speed is an electronically limited 217 mph. Consider that it shoots flames.I consider these things while getting into VP5, for Validation Prototype 5 (of 5), a U.S.-spec Volcano Yellow P1 with 10,319 miles on the odometer. It's the brightest thing at this grey airport, which sits 18.4 miles south of the Bond villain-esque McLaren HQ and which you might recognize from a popular British car show. (Some say they saw a figure in a white driving suit off in the distance.)

The engine started, and I don't remember much of what followed, other than the feeling of being absolutely consumed. I exited with shaky hands, dribbling expletives and drool. Here's what I do remember: At the end of our day, when no one was looking, I hopped in the P1 with our VBox data recorder. I slowly drove out of view to the far end of the runway (nothing to see here, folks), activated race mode, waited the required 40 seconds for the suspension to lower 2.0 inches and wing to rise 11.8 inches, and then activated launch control. Then I was going 160 mph. Here's what happened: The P1 took 2.6 seconds to reach 60 mph, 4.8 to 100, 6.4 to 120, and then passed the quarter mile in 9.8 seconds at 148.9 mph. Forget the Veyron. The P1 is the quickest production car tested in Motor Trend's 65-year history.

Now seems like a good time to mention that when you hit the E-mode button, the engine turns off, transforming the quickest production car we've ever tested into a zero-emissions electric car with 6.2 miles of range and acceleration similar to that of a Civic Si. You can plug it in, too. Tiny electric range means the gas engine will be on most of the time. And when it is, the electric motor acts like a 177-hp power adder, offsetting turbo lag by providing torque the moment you touch the throttle. For some theater, you can opt for boost mode, which holds back electric power until you press the cutely named IPAS button on the steering wheel. It feels like hitting nitrous. Stupefying straight-line acceleration isn't the P1's focus. It was on the checklist, sure, but it almost feels like a byproduct. I like to imagine it was discovered somewhere during development, around the part where, during durability testing, it had to undergo 200 back-to-back launch control runs. (Our sympathies for that test driver's stomach.)

It passed that test. Why wouldn't it? This is McLaren after all, whose executive chair, Ron Dennis, famously shrank the floor plan of the company's assembly hall a small amount so the tile would fit better. This meticulousness and design logic permeate the P1. Like the 12C, it doesn't have a locking differential because the brakes and stability control system provide ample wheel speed control. Why add the weight? You don't even notice it until you turn stability control off and leave long stripes of 315/30R20 Pirelli Corsa behind. Same goes for anti-roll bars and downforce resistance bars (or heave springs). Supplant them with a hydraulic system of lines and accumulators and you gain far better control than what an aluminum tube can offer. The P1's roll stiffness, for example, increases 3.5 times when you switch from Normal to Race mode. We weren't able to record the P1's lateral limits, but they felt similar in magnitude to the acceleration. Reaching for them is not as difficult as the performance figures might make you think. It's instead about relearning what you know about the limits of modern performance cars. The downforce, tires, and brakes take the P1 to territory unknown to street cars. You're conscious of the potential, but the balance and the stability control system let you think with enough time you could reach it. In Race, where I spent the majority of the day (wouldn't you?), the car offers high levels of slip before intervening -- just under half a turn of correction. It's enough to make you feel like you can go to the point of no return and turn around. My brief time with the P1 felt like leaping blindly into unexplored area. It was like landing on an alien world where you need to reset your preexisting definitions and expectations about the capabilities of cars. The trouble wasn't driving it, but comprehending what was happening.

Why was the P1 harder to make? Because hyperbole isn't supposed to be real.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2vtiecdUW

Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What's NOT to love about this car. Seriously is there anything?
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh to be an automotive tester. Must be a tough day a the office when not just one but two McLaren P1's show up. That is exactly what happened to the guys at MotorTrend who got their lucky mitts on one the world's newest supercars and what is now officially the fastest car they have ever tested. The acceleration numbers you will see below come from a VBOX data recorder so this was not achieved on a drag strip.

Click here to enlarge

That said, the numbers are insane. 0-60 comes in 2.6 seconds. Yes, ridiculously fast but it is going to be difficult to further chip away at 0-60. The telling numbers are what happens past 60 miles per hour with 100 hit in 4.7 seconds (what sports cars used to get to 60 in to be considered fast) and 1/4 mile flashes by in 9.8 seconds at 148.9 miles per hour.

Pretty damn impressive and honestly what one should expect for their $1.2 million dollars. The turbo V8 with an output of 727 horsepower and 531 pound-feet of torque goes up to 904 horsepower and 663 pound-feet of torque when combined with the electric motor.

Quicker, faster, and more efficient than a Bugatti Veyron that now looks like a bloated sledgehammer with its quad turbo sixteen cylinder motor. It would be interesting to see just how much the P1's curb weight undercuts the Veyron despite the hybrid drivetrain but unfortunately MotorTrend did not weigh it.

Regardless, this is the new supercar standard.

McLaren P1
    POWERTRAIN/CHASSIS
    DRIVETRAIN LAYOUT Mid-engine, RWD
    ENGINE TYPE Twin-turbo 90-deg V-8, alum block/heads
    VALVETRAIN DOHC, 4 valves/cyl
    DISPLACEMENT 231.8 cu in/3799 cc
    COMPRESSION RATIO 8.1:1
    BATTERY TYPE Lithium-ion
    POWER (SAE NET) 727 hp @ 7500 rpm (gas)/177 hp (elec)/904 hp (comb)
    TORQUE (SAE NET) 531 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm (gas)/192 lb-ft (elec)/664 lb-ft (comb)
    REDLINE 8300 rpm
    TRANSMISSION 7-speed twin-clutch auto.
    AXLE/FINAL-DRIVE RATIO 3.31:1/2.27:1
    SUSPENSION, FRONT; REAR Control arms, coil springs, adj shocks, hydraulic anti roll and downforce resist; control arms, coil springs, adj shocks, hydraulic anti roll and downforce resist
    STEERING RATIO 12.2:1 (est)
    TURNS LOCK-TO-LOCK 2.2
    BRAKES, F;R 15.4-in vented carbon ceramic disc; 15.0-in vented carbon ceramic disc, ABS
    WHEELS, F;R 9.0 x 19-in; 11.5 x 20-in, forged aluminum
    TIRES, F;R 245/35R19; 315/30R20 Pirelli P Zero Corsa
    DIMENSIONS
    WHEELBASE 105.5 in
    TRACK, F/R 65.3/63.2 in
    LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT 180.6 x 76.6 x 46.8 in
    TURNING CIRCLE 39.0 ft
    SEATING CAPACITY 2
    CARGO VOLUME 4.2 cu ft
    TEST DATA
    ACCELERATION TO MPH
    0-30 1.2 sec
    0-40 1.7
    0-50 2.1
    0-60 2.6
    0-70 3.0
    0-80 3.5
    0-90 4.1
    0-100 4.7
    0-110 5.5
    0-120 6.3
    0-130 7.4
    0-140 8.5
    0-150 9.9
    0-160 11.6
    PASSING, 45-65 MPH 0.9
    QUARTER MILE 9.8 sec @ 148.9 mph
    CONSUMER INFO
    BASE PRICE $1,150,000
    PRICE AS TESTED $1,150,000
    STABILITY/TRACTION CONTROL Yes/Yes
    AIRBAGS Dual front, front side, front knee
    BASIC WARRANTY 3 yrs/Unlimited miles
    POWERTRAIN WARRANTY 3 yrs/Unlimited miles
    ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE 3 yrs/Unlimited miles
    FUEL CAPACITY 16.9 gal
    RECOMMENDED FUEL Unleaded premium

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Britishboost! Nice!

I still can't get over looking down the acceleration chart and seeing single digits all the way down to the 0-160 spec. What an amazing machine.
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    Britishboost! Nice!
    I'm trying hard man. I'm really trying.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    60-130 in 4.8s. Smokin'

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I need to figure out a better solution for cross forum navigation and content discovery. Especially considering how much content from other platforms will now be added.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I need to figure out a better solution for cross forum navigation and content discovery. Especially considering how much content from other platforms will now be added.
    Yeah... it works well on GermanBoost, as I can see your blog page for all of the covered brands. The discussion boards are a little more tricky, but I just use the New Posts link to cover that.

boostnetwork.com could cover all of them... ??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah... it works well on GermanBoost, as I can see your blog page for all of the covered brands. The discussion boards are a little more tricky, but I just use the New Posts link to cover that.

PASSING, 45-65 MPH 0.9

Farts taking longer than that to generate
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

The GermanBoost front page only covers German cars.

Yeah I'll have to come up with a central site page. Not sure what it will be yet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No laptime? Car flies.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    No laptime? Car flies.
    Top Gear will probably keep that laptime a secret until they broadcast it.
    You can guess the correct laptime on Youtube.
    But the actual time probably won't be revealred untill june, when the new Top Gear series start.
    Top Gear will let the 918 go head to head with the P1.
    They already announced this.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works