Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

BimmerBoost Step-by-Step

So many threads regarding the BB app and I know these are getting out of hand but as the realization that flash/piggy combo is the next level of evolution for the n54 I was hoping the more experience software people on here can fill in a basic tutorial.

1.) Two methods of flashing
    a.) Flash only to control everything including boost
    b.) Flash to control everything but boost where a piggy will control boost.

2.) Difference between the xdf and bin file
    a.) Bin file is what BB software will read and save as a .org file but is this BIN file modified or not when flashing?
    b.) XDF, still unsure where you get the starting point for an xdf file, is it your BIN file I'd assume and you'd use TunerPro to edit?
    c.) So if you edit an xdf file, now you have a bin file and xdf file, which should be written using BB to the ECU?

3.) If you have an existing flash on the ECU, I heard it is not recommended to try to flash directly over top and should flash to stock first. Even if this is not necessary, how can you find a stock ECU software in NCS-EXPERT to flash the ECU back to stock. I don't have this because my ECU was flashed with vishnu.

I hate being that guy since I know a lot of this was beat to death but at hundreds of pages on the BB thread it is difficult to accurately get clear answers.

Thanks! Also feel free to impart an addt'l relevant knowledge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

6 out of 6 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    my answer based on my limited knowledge and experience, im sure there are experts whom can give you clear answers ..

currently there is two XDF for N54 and they are based on ECU type you have. the file is more like guide for the TunerPro its not an file use to flash it just tell tunerPro how it can interact to Bin file and display the tables it contain. BIN file or ORG is the file will be edit or changed with tuned one to flash ECU.

the BIN file contain all variable that control engine, BB read it just get stock data from your ECU so for any reason you always can flash it back to good working bin file you can call it backup. This case apply for stock cars in your case you have Vishnu as far as i know you can't flash with BB as there is sort of protection but you always can try with force write

NCS-EXPERT will not do any good for you in your case as its coding software not flashing. you need Winkfp with latest SP data files (google SP-daten-E89_v49 and download it). once you have every thing in place do the following:

- make sure your tune is off incase you have piggyback (map 0).
    - connect battery charger
    - run INPA and check connectivity.
    - run winkfp, click comfort mode (F1), update ZUSB (F3), Enter Vin (F4), Done (F8), Prog. ZB-Update (F3) and wait for around 25 to 40 min to finish
    - once flash completed, wait 5 min, take the key off and lock the car for while then start the engine.
    - now you have stock updated ECU.

thats all from my side Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Thanks so much. I'd give you a thumbs up but can't so either way, thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Rep for everyone
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Oilphase Click here to enlarge
    my answer based on my limited knowledge and experience, im sure there are experts whom can give you clear answers ..

currently there is two XDF for N54 and they are based on ECU type you have. the file is more like guide for the TunerPro its not an file use to flash it just tell tunerPro how it can interact to Bin file and display the tables it contain. BIN file or ORG is the file will be edit or changed with tuned one to flash ECU.

the BIN file contain all variable that control engine, BB read it just get stock data from your ECU so for any reason you always can flash it back to good working bin file you can call it backup. This case apply for stock cars in your case you have Vishnu as far as i know you can't flash with BB as there is sort of protection but you always can try with force write

NCS-EXPERT will not do any good for you in your case as its coding software not flashing. you need Winkfp with latest SP data files (google SP-daten-E89_v49 and download it). once you have every thing in place do the following:

- make sure your tune is off incase you have piggyback (map 0).
    - connect battery charger
    - run INPA and check connectivity.
    - run winkfp, click comfort mode (F1), update ZUSB (F3), Enter Vin (F4), Done (F8), Prog. ZB-Update (F3) and wait for around 25 to 40 min to finish
    - once flash completed, wait 5 min, take the key off and lock the car for while then start the engine.
    - now you have stock updated ECU.

thats all from my side Click here to enlarge
    +1 Repped. XDF files follow bins and are specific to them, so XDF files are specific to whatever code you have on your computer (I8A0S etc). The XDF just lets tuner pro know which parts of the BIN are what, so you can edit them.

For OP-

2007 flashing should get a disclaimer- they need a good strong charger to hold voltage over 12 the ENTIRE time, and the right computer. Newer cars work with any computer and weaker chargers. 2007's like some cheap netbooks, AMD based computers or 4th gen Haswell intel based computers. Macbooks are ok too I've heard, but everything else is a crapshoot and probably won't work. 2007 cars must read before attempting a flash so they know their computer will communicate properly... it should take 60-70 minutes to read. If it takes distinctly more or less time, your computer or your charger is probably not going to work.

Not gonna get into tuning, that's a thread amongst itself for every table. Start with small changes to things you know how they work. 3D fuel scaler you can adjust with datalogs of your trims to keep them accurate, AFR targets, timing, load... most are self explanatory but require small adjustments and logs to verify.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd think you can flash over vishnu without worry. But you can read it and compare in TP beforehand to be sure... this will confirm the ROM was not altered.

I have a 08 built 10/07 with msd80 and have no issues flashing