Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

1 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Vargas N55 Turbo Upgrade Dyno

Hey guys,

We got the N55 up and running again a couple days ago (new VANOS system, etc) and I had a chance to get the car on the dyno today to confirm what I've been feeling on the road tuning it.

Before I share the results I want to remind everyone despite my issues with Vargas which I've stated in the other post I'm being as objective as possible about this. I really want this car to make 500whp. Click here to enlarge

Some general notes on the car:

1) 2011 N55 auto with the CPE DP, ETS IC, JB4, meth, BMS CP, BMS intake, E40 fuel.
    2) We've been doing a lot of back end flash development the last week but apparently this car is not compatible with the Cobb flash tuner until we update the DME. So this testing was done running the OEM flash. There is some more power in this car with a flash map and also more power with the stock turbo once the flash is done.
    3) The JB4 is running N55 ISO v.5.2. The only difference with 5.2 vs. 5.1 is we corrected the timing advance reading. Looking over the timing tables which are finally fully exposed via the flash we noticed the JB4 was reporting timing higher than actual by around 20%. So that was corrected in the JB4 firmware for more accurate logging.

Results:

I'll add more data as I have it. But bottom line, this turbo is not making the boost it should be. I don't know yet whether the issue is with the Vargas diverter valve, the wastegate setup, or the turbo itself. I do know the JB4 is applying 100% duty cycle to the boost solenoid requesting the maximum possible boost. The boost profile is significantly lower than stock down low (to be expected) but up top I expected the turbo to hold 20psi @ 5500rpm and 18psi @ redline. But it's at only 17psi & 15psi respectively. It does make a little more power than stock up top but what it gives up on the low end does not justify the gains. Frankly with the extra lag this turbo is a serious downgrade. Click here to enlarge

I've not decided where to go from here with the car. We'll probably park it for now and get back to stock turbo back end flash map tuning.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    PS. Tony, I read a few of your posts and you are way off base. I'm not trying to hurt your business or reputation. Although, in my opinion, you're doing that on your own with your extremely unprofessional replies. That was one of the reasons we can no longer endorse your products as I've mentioned before. As soon as any bad news comes out you go in to defensive mode rather than just trying to solve the problem. But you do know turbos. So, if you have any ideas to get more boost out of this thing let me know. The dyno log is in the first post. With more timing I think it would make 20rw more. So would the stock turbo. But what we need is 20psi @ 5500rpm tapering to 17-18psi @ redline, to have a chance at the 500rw you promised/predicted with this turbo.

If you read the thread on n54tech you'd see I don't have all negative things to report. Just that it's a net negative overall. And given your public attitude towards us I don't feel compelled to try to hide any of my displeasure. As far as positives go for example this turbo makes 50-60whp more than OEM @ 6000rpm. That is a good thing. It's just that I expected 120-150whp more @6000rpm. It's not laggy in the same sense of a 6466 not making any boost before 4000rpm. It's laggy in the sense that it makes much less boost than stock down low.

For reasons already stated I have no further interest in working with your products at least not directly. You'll note one of my complaints was that you like to sell prototypes to customers as if they were final products. That is what has effectively happened here and I fear might happen to your other N55 customers.

As far as a resolution I'd like an OEM core back to install on the car and want to ship this prototype back to you for a refund. With a redesign or some hardware tweaks this turbo may do what you want it to do. But I'm out of ideas on the software end and not interested in taking the hardware apart to try to engineer it.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unfortunate that you hit a wall on this n55 project .

Is any other members running vtt turbo setup on there n55 just curious to compare the results..

Any info we get from new turbo setup is great info for the community.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

4 out of 6 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Terry. I think you would hurt yourself if you throw the turbo out. You are now the pioneer on the N55 front. Would be nice if you could provide a working tune for this car. I'm really looking forward to you being able to push the car to its limits. Really dont want to be forced to change to COBB

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 335i-BB Click here to enlarge
    Terry. I think you would hurt yourself if you throw the turbo out. You are now the pioneer on the N55 front. Would be nice if you could provide a working tune for this car. I'm really looking forward to you being able to push the car to its limits. Really dont want to be forced to change to COBB
    The tuning is good enough to see what the turbo can do vs stock. It's the new turbo that is disappointing. To be candid I'm starting to think Tony just 'guessed' on the design and what power it might make. Made some claims which many including myself fell for. And now we're finding out it makes just a fraction of what he thought it would. I have no doubt Tony can fix this turbo kit. As he said it's often a long process of development to arrive at a final product. But given his personality and for other reasons we're jumping ship. I'd rather hitch my wagon to FFTEC or RB both of which are much more professional and reputable in my opinion.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think I know what it is @Terry@BMS. I'm going to dig some info up and show you. I just want to make sure my facts are backed up before I post some $#@!. I don't want any BS or drama from any vendors.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Okay, What I believe it is is the exhaust turbine and housing. Both need to be larger to produce the hp needed with that larger compressor wheel.

Terry, you need to check the back pressure of the turbo in the exhaust side. This similar situation happened to another guy when he went bigger turbo. He made the compressor size bigger but the turbine exhaust side the same and it wouldn't boost more than 14 psi.

His quote
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1 Click here to enlarge
    well I went out and drove it, still not making full boost, but its hard to tell driving it on the crowded streets without getting pulled over.

I hooked up the backpressure line to my analog boost gauge. I set the Eboost2 to read peak boost recall. Heres the results:

over 30+ psi of backpressure to 11.8psi boost pressure. Click here to enlarge You guys were right. I talked to comp and they said that they think the turbo is being over-spun, creating the backpressure.

apparently putting a bigger compressor wheel exducer will help this? this is getting beyond my expertise here, Im im not sure what to think anymore. He assured me that the new turbine wheel in not flowing less, but it is spinning so fast, thats its creating a restriction.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-ind...garrett-5.html

^^ that's the original thread. I read all 23 pages if you guys want to. In the end it was the exhaust turbine and the housing, it was too small for the air it was pushing.

I haven't followed all of the n55 turbo build thread so I'm not sure what he has done. I'm pretty sure it's that, or the wastegate issue as I said on n54tech.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Okay, What I believe it is is the exhaust turbine and housing. Both need to be larger to produce the hp needed with that larger compressor wheel.

Terry, you need to check the back pressure of the turbo in the exhaust side. This similar situation happened to another guy when he went bigger turbo. He made the compressor size bigger but the turbine exhaust side the same and it wouldn't boost more than 14 psi.

His quote

http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-ind...garrett-5.html

^^ that's the original thread. I read all 23 pages if you guys want to. In the end it was the exhaust turbine and the housing, it was too small for the air it was pushing.

I haven't followed all of the n55 turbo build thread so I'm not sure what he has done. I'm pretty sure it's that, or the wastegate issue as I said on n54tech.
    Its not back pressure. We have years of experience with turbochargers, you just know what to look for when you are seeing a bad combination, ie huge comp wheel, small turbine. The parts on these are nicely matched, the stock turbine housing is a good size, and the manifold is huge, the car has a 6" downpipe on it, if anything is to be learned from the N54 with its very TINY turbine housings is, you only see the big build up of back pressure up top, down low you are in the ultra efficient 1:1 range, as you move it 2:1, then up top a bad 3:1. The only way you will completely kill boost with back pressure is either a full plugged cat, or a tiny turbine wheel, that just cannot flow any exhaust, this is a 60mm turbine wheel, the problem here isn't BP. I have no illustrated multiple ways to troubleshoot the problems. If Terry doesn't want to figure it out, he doesn't have to. We will get it on a car and get it tuned properly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    PS. Tony, I read a few of your posts and you are way off base. I'm not trying to hurt your business or reputation. Although, in my opinion, you're doing that on your own with your extremely unprofessional replies. That was one of the reasons we can no longer endorse your products as I've mentioned before. As soon as any bad news comes out you go in to defensive mode rather than just trying to solve the problem. But you do know turbos. So, if you have any ideas to get more boost out of this thing let me know. The dyno log is in the first post. With more timing I think it would make 20rw more. So would the stock turbo. But what we need is 20psi @ 5500rpm tapering to 17-18psi @ redline, to have a chance at the 500rw you promised/predicted with this turbo.

If you read the thread on n54tech you'd see I don't have all negative things to report. Just that it's a net negative overall. And given your public attitude towards us I don't feel compelled to try to hide any of my displeasure. As far as positives go for example this turbo makes 50-60whp more than OEM @ 6000rpm. That is a good thing. It's just that I expected 120-150whp more @6000rpm. It's not laggy in the same sense of a 6466 not making any boost before 4000rpm. It's laggy in the sense that it makes much less boost than stock down low.

For reasons already stated I have no further interest in working with your products at least not directly. You'll note one of my complaints was that you like to sell prototypes to customers as if they were final products. That is what has effectively happened here and I fear might happen to your other N55 customers.

As far as a resolution I'd like an OEM core back to install on the car and want to ship this prototype back to you for a refund. With a redesign or some hardware tweaks this turbo may do what you want it to do. But I'm out of ideas on the software end and not interested in taking the hardware apart to try to engineer it.
    Prime example right here, send me an email business to business to ask for a refund, nah, only people with mutual respect for other businesses do that sort of thing. Lets just post in thread on the forums while throwing back handed comments out and pretending you aren't. Send it back, you can have your money. You can find your own core and let us know what you paid. RB has a bunch, buy one from him. There is no need for a redesign, we will put the turbo on a different car, figure out the tuning and get it right. You hit a wall with boost on your single and figured it out, but you want to play nice with fftec so actually figured it out, you hit a wall with boost here and its the turbo, of course its the turbo. If you say so bud. As far as makes less boost down low, um hello!!! We double the wheel size, you have got to be kidding me man, the turbo spools insanely fast for the wheel combo it has in there. You act like you are trying to play nice, you may be fooling some people, but you aren't fooling me. Please get me the turbo back, and I will wash my hands of this situation and get it in the hands of the PTF guys and breathe a sigh of relieve. I wish you guys the best. Take care

Edit: taking a look at that log, ANYONE who knows how to read a turbo log can see PLAIN AS DAY, the turbo spools up quickly then flattens out then starts to spool again. This can ONLY be caused by the gate cracking or boost being bled off, turbos do not spool, slow themselves down, then speed back up, the speed of the turbo is dictated by the exhaust gases being diverted around the turbine. Remember all of Terrys claims on how much spool he could make with just tuning alone on twins or the ST, well now he has an obvious case of a turbo spool being killed by tune, and he wants to tell everyone. Yup guys, verdict is in, terrible spool look at that. You really should be consistent Terry, its not hard to see what you are doing here. Its going to be great to have someone who wants this to work get their hands on it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Edit: taking a look at that log, ANYONE who knows how to read a turbo log can see PLAIN AS DAY, the turbo spools up quickly then flattens out then starts to spool again. This can ONLY be caused by the gate cracking or boost being bled off, turbos do not spool, slow themselves down, then speed back up, the speed of the turbo is dictated by the exhaust gases being diverted around the turbine. Remember all of Terrys claims on how much spool he could make with just tuning alone on twins or the ST, well now he has an obvious case of a turbo spool being killed by tune, and he wants to tell everyone. Yup guys, verdict is in, terrible spool look at that. You really should be consistent Terry, its not hard to see what you are doing here. Its going to be great to have someone who wants this to work get their hands on it.
    This is the main reason why I think it's a WG or boost leak somewhere. It's spooling twice, the first time quick the second not so much.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    This is the main reason why I think it's a WG or boost leak somewhere. It's spooling twice, the first time quick the second not so much.
    Exactly, its so obviously in the tune, the tune is controlling all that. The turbo is a piece of mechanical equipment. It is at the beck and call of the exhaust energy, nothing more. If its being bypassed or the compressed air it is building is bleeding off, its not going to work right. As I said we will get it tuned by someone who actually wants it to work and go from there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Exactly, its so obviously in the tune, the tune is controlling all that. The turbo is a piece of mechanical equipment. It is at the beck and call of the exhaust energy, nothing more. If its being bypassed or the compressed air it is building is bleeding off, its not going to work right. As I said we will get it tuned by someone who actually wants it to work and go from there.
    That's how we'll know for sure. Slap it on another car and have another tuner tune it and we'll see. We don't know anything just yet.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    holy $#@!, for once I'm thankful for having APR in the VAG scene with their questionably high prices and "better than thou" attitude.

sometimes, it just makes sense to do tuning and development in house. Less finger pointing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    holy $#@!, for once I'm thankful for having APR in the VAG scene with their questionably high prices and "better than thou" attitude.

sometimes, it just makes sense to do tuning and development in house. Less finger pointing.
    Yes hind sight is 20/20. I now 100% wish I just waited a little longer and had it tuned by people I can trust. If people can't see what terry is doing here they are blind, I just broke it down in the install thread, but its not my place to be too negative in his thread. I don't appreciate when he does it, and I will respect his thread. I do think they issues here are tune related and nothing to do with the turbo. We will get it back and take care of it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 335i-BB Click here to enlarge
    Really dont want to be forced to change to COBB
    You realize to even maximize the performance on the stock turbo, you're gonna have to go flash tune. It was the same thing with the N54 and until COBB released ProTuning, nobody was safely going above 370 WHP (stock timing curve, stock fueling, incomplete data logging, let's just crank up the boost). Now low/mid 400 WHP can be achieved safely with a quality tune on stock turbos, all you need is the supporting octane and bolt-ons.

It'll be interesting to see how the N55 responds to ProTuning, the gains made on the various fuels (Pump, Race, E85) and how the aftermarket turbo options play out with proper tuning.

It's ironic that even with Open Source & the BB Flash, COBB is still the best, most consistent, and successful user flash.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes hind sight is 20/20. I now 100% wish I just waited a little longer and had it tuned by people I can trust. If people can't see what terry is doing here they are blind, I just broke it down in the install thread, but its not my place to be too negative in his thread. I don't appreciate when he does it, and I will respect his thread. I do think they issues here are tune related and nothing to do with the turbo. We will get it back and take care of it.
    If you know how to read a log you'd see PWM is around 100% which means the solenoid is fully open. The tune is trying to pull the wastegate closed as much as it possibly can. So either the wastegate isn't closing due to some internal issue or the turbo is poorly designed. I'm not a turbo wheels guy but I design control systems and fully understand the various things that may be wrong with this setup. They may be easily fixed. You should have fixed them when the car was up there and not rushed to send it back for tuning. I do not think the DV is leaking as the turbo would not make 15psi @ redline with a leaking diverter valve. I will do a run later today with a mighty vac on the wastegate and the DV unplugged.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

9 out of 9 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I've been following this on both forums for a few days now and all i'm going to say is attitude, professionalism and constructive criticism go a LONG way.

It will be VERY difficult for me or any of my N55 colleagues or shop to conduct business with hostility, rude or defensive behavior. There's no reason or excuse for any of that, regardless of who is right, wrong or in the know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you know how to read a log you'd see PWM is around 100% which means the solenoid is fully open. The tune is trying to pull the wastegate closed as much as it possibly can. So either the wastegate isn't closing due to some internal issue or the turbo is poorly designed. I'm not a turbo wheels guy but I design control systems and fully understand the various things that may be wrong with this setup. They may be easily fixed. You should have fixed them when the car was up there and not rushed to send it back for tuning. I do not think the DV is leaking as the turbo would not make 15psi @ redline with a leaking diverter valve. I will do a run later today with a mighty vac on the wastegate and the DV unplugged.
    Again showing your complete inexperience with turbochargers and obviously the N55 platform. Its QUITE obvious the turbo starts to spool, the DME pops the gate, and then reels it back, as it spools again. If its at 100% then whats cycling it Terry? Might be interesting to find out. Had this same problem tuning stage 3, took a second to figure out. How bout that ST kit you got over there. You know the one you cant get to hold boost, and is spooling at 4750-5000 RPM on the street, not to mention the turbo is smoking. Let me guess, the turbo is poorly designed that's why it wont hold boost, actually no its a simple solenoid issue. Bottom line is, you do not even know if the N55 solenoid is up to the task of making more boost do you, be honest. Of course you don't. You have never dealt with it. No one does, I trusted you to tune it and find the other issues the N55 might have to keep it from its full potential, everyone did! But since you are trying to bash us, instead of using common sense and pointing out or trying to find the 20 things it could be, you tune something for an hour, throw it on the dyno and say its not working. I would be curious to see your initial N54 tuning before all the back end flash, and everything else came along, compared to what you can do now. Please just get your car to a shop and give me my turbo back, I as soon as its off and you have a it ready to ship. I will send you back everything you are owed, and we can forget this whole fiasco. The fact that this is being handled on the forums instead of in private is also a testament to your way of doing things.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

7 out of 11 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    So either the wastegate isn't closing due to some internal issue or the turbo is poorly designed.
    Wouldn't it make more sense to figure this out BEFORE creating a thread like this? Tony won't allow your posts in his threads anymore, so you back him up againt a wall and create you're own thread. Your actions speak more than your logs do. At least you could email or call him up first instead of doing this on a public forum. Common decency.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boostedMPLS Click here to enlarge
    I've been following this on both forums for a few days now and all i'm going to say is attitude, professionalism and constructive criticism go a LONG way.

It will be VERY difficult for me or any of my N55 colleagues or shop to conduct business with hostility, rude or defensive behavior. There's no reason or excuse for any of that, regardless of who is right, wrong or in the know.
    This exactly for both of you, + rep.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Again showing your complete inexperience with turbochargers and obviously the N55 platform. Its QUITE obvious the turbo starts to spool, the DME pops the gate, and then reels it back, as it spools again. If its at 100% then whats cycling it Terry? Might be interesting to find out. Had this same problem tuning stage 3, took a second to figure out. How bout that ST kit you got over there. You know the one you cant get to hold boost, and is spooling at 4750-5000 RPM on the street, not to mention the turbo is smoking. Let me guess, the turbo is poorly designed that's why it wont hold boost, actually no its a simple solenoid issue. Bottom line is, you do not even know if the N55 solenoid is up to the task of making more boost do you, be honest. Of course you don't. You have never dealt with it. No one does, I trusted you to tune it and find the other issues the N55 might have to keep it from its full potential, everyone did! But since you are trying to bash us, instead of using common sense and pointing out or trying to find the 20 things it could be, you tune something for an hour, throw it on the dyno and say its not working. I would be curious to see your initial N54 tuning before all the back end flash, and everything else came along, compared to what you can do now. Please just get your car to a shop and give me my turbo back, I as soon as its off and you have a it ready to ship. I will send you back everything you are owed, and we can forget this whole fiasco. The fact that this is being handled on the forums instead of in private is also a testament to your way of doing things.
    100% PWM = 23" vacuum. I've been using JB products long enough to know if PWM is at 100% it's at full vacuum.

Can the wastegate rod be manually adjusted on the N55 like on the N54?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Tony you burned your bridges with me before I sat in this car to tune it so don't turn around now and play the victim. Maybe if everyone was more up front with sharing data on your other projects there would be more satisfied Vargas customers out there today. I said all along I'll share the data good bad or ugly. That is what I am doing. And that applies to RBs, your turbos, FFTEC, or with anything I test. The idea with data is to use it to further develop the product. Obviously this thing didn't go to plan on several levels but it is what it is. It's a prototype that shows some promise but is no where near ready to be sold to the public. Yet I read about people ordering this turbo, people asking me if they should ask for a refund, etc? How can you even take orders on untested products like you did for the S2 turbos and this one is beyond me. Anyway I've spoken my peace about your business practices and this thread is not about my opinion on those.

On the FFTEC N54 single I'm not really sure what you are talking about. We were the first as far as I know to publicly control a single turbo using the OEM solenoid and I posted my experiences with that project. At no point that I'm aware of has the FFTEC kit failed to do exactly what it is supposed to be doing. And even if something didn't work right I have full confidence that FFTEC would work with me or any customer to resolve it in a speedy and professional way. After the OEM solenoid testing I moved on to MAC solenoid testing. That is a completely new solenoid to me and requires quite a bit of programming to get the JB4 to control it properly. It's in no way analogous to what I'm going through with your N55 kit. Your kit uses the OEM solenoid and wastegate which the JB4 has been controlling on 25,000+ cars for years. In it's simplest format I should be able to throw your turbo on, set the proper duty cycle curve for the turbo, and hit the boost targets. That was your responsibility in this. Not to set the AFR. Not to ensure the throttle body is open. Not to set the timing. Just to setup the turbo to hit its boost target. Now why it's not hitting it I can't say. If you would have kept the car up there rather than rushing it down here with the blown VANOS you could go continue your R&D on it and find out why. As it is I'll poke around with it until the OEM turbo arrives.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alex325i Click here to enlarge
    Wouldn't it make more sense to figure this out BEFORE creating a thread like this? Tony won't allow your posts in his threads anymore, so you back him up againt a wall and create you're own thread. Your actions speak more than your logs do. At least you could email or call him up first instead of doing this on a public forum. Common decency.
    You've missed a few threads, I think.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boostedMPLS Click here to enlarge

It will be VERY difficult for me or any of my N55 colleagues or shop to conduct business with hostility, rude or defensive behavior..
    lmfao. Tell us Moar about ur team of colleagues waiting to buy turbo upgrades. Bahahaha ya
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast