Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

335is owners "BEWARE!"

Well it all started about 3 months ago I finally got the Vargas Stage 2s turbos and getting Dzenno from PTF to tune them up.

Anyways we hit a snag with the Cobb AP (It would not load in new MAPs) so all we got the day was 404hp and 404 tq, sp it took a while for Cobb to resolve the issue, and once they did I was go to contact Dzenno and get these things tuned and start enjoying the car again, and then it happened.... the half engine came on and decided to hang out, the error was on the inlet side and of course the 30FF that goes along with it.

So because of that I could not do anything more modding (made the wife happyClick here to enlarge ) or and more tuning until I could figure out what is going on with it.
    So weeks go by and many oil changes later, because I refuse to believe that a 2011 335is with 45,000km had a major mechanical problem, so I guess I was fooling myself and hoping that it would fix itself, well it didn't happen, it was getting worse, the error codes would show up after a week, then after a couple of days, and then finally after 10 to 20 mins driving the car, and it only did it driving in the city and never on the highway, if it made it to the highway without the engine light popping up. I was so bad that a Mazda 3 bet my ass, when that happen I called Ivo@ColumbusAuto and Dzenno @ PTF to help me out with my issues.

They both looked at my codes and what I been going though with the car, and they both came to the same conclusions that my ledgers are $#@!ed up and need replacing. But my car shouldn't have this happening because it should have the updated RECTANGRINGs made out of Teflon.

So Dzenno wanted me to try a new map because he and cobb was doing some playing around with the vanos and it may solve my problem and it did for like 45mins and back to where I started from.Click here to enlarge

So Ivo replaced the oil cap, and that didn't work, replaced both CONTROL VALVE SOLENOIDs (vanos) and that didn't work next would be the timing and then the ledges and guess what it was the ledges and even with the Teflon it dug in and scored the ledges. Ivo believes the original ledges was bad from the factory

So now I should have my car back tomorrow and looking for that God damn Mazda 3 and kick it ass to you know where.

Thanks to Ivo @ Columbus Auto and Dzenno @ PTF for spending so much time in to trying to fix it the best way possible.

So here are some pics of the old ledges.

They was taken from his iPhone so some are not that clear.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Holy crap your cam ledges got that messed up? That's not something you see every day on N54s
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh boy, I thought the driveline was the sput and piss now this. I haven't had any issues yet other than driveline issues. I am currently at 52k miles

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    it happens.. sucks but what can you do.. does your car burn any oil?
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    it happens.. sucks but what can you do.. does your car burn any oil?
    I thought it did and bugged the BMW dealer about it, but there are other 335is that live by me and they have the same oil consumption as I do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    oil starvation of the cylinder head can lead to premature bearing wear... who knows..

dealer fixing this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    Holy crap your cam ledges got that messed up? That's not something you see every day on N54s
    I know right! But it happens, and I hear the M4 is to come out in the spring so I hope the problem does not carry over to it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by farbmw Click here to enlarge
    I thought it did and bugged the BMW dealer about it, but there are other 335is that live by me and they have the same oil consumption as I do.
    Well I hope it doesn't happen to you but if it does you know what it is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    oil starvation of the cylinder head can lead to premature bearing wear... who knows..

dealer fixing this?
    No Ivo@ Columbus Auto is fixing it, I am fully modded they won't touch it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    what about 2009 and 2008 models, same problem?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
    what about 2009 and 2008 models, same problem?
    @dzenno I think his was a 2008 and I think the RECTANGRINGs was made out of steal and not Teflon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Your first 5 pictures look like one half of the cam ledge, is the 6th picture the other half? I'd like to see the splitline on the other half; if the wear isnt consistant past the splitline, then the runout of the ledge in the picture is bad and ovalized. Whether it stems from manufacturing or use is beyond me. Are cams scored too? Do they require replacement?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm almost sure the S55 will also have this issue happen Click here to enlarge BMW just seems to carry over problems with time from one platform to the next and cam bearing ledges is one of them unfortunately, not just on the N54 either

For anyone with a persistent 2A82 (intake) or 2A87 (exhaust) vanos code that doesn't go away with an oil change or vanos solenoid cleaning/replacement it is most likely one of the cam bearing ledges.

BMW Technical Service Bulletin

SI B11 02 08
    Engine February 2008
    Technical Service

[Sorry, no Graphics]mikeo

SUBJECT
    N54: Power Reduction - DME Fault 2A82 VANOS Inlet is Stored

MODEL
    All E60, E61, E90, E92, E93 with the N54 engine from SOP

SITUATION
    The "Service Engine Soon" (MIL) lamp is illuminated and a power reduction is clearly perceptible. This situation may occur after driving for some time with the engine already at full operating temperature. If the ignition is cycled, the engine then usually performs normally.

The following faults are stored in the DME:

2A82 VANOS intake - stiff; jammed mechanically - fault currently not present - fault would cause warning lamp (MIL) to light up

3100 Boost-pressure control, deactivation - Boost-pressure buildup prohibited - fault currently not present - fault does not cause warning lamp (MIL) to light up

CAUSE
    The VANOS fault is usually caused by an insufficient oil pressure supply to the inlet VANOS adjustment unit.

To effectively move the camshafts to the target positions, in the specified time and under all engine conditions, sufficient oil pressure supply to the VANOS control pistons must always be available.

When the engine operation requires that VANOS quickly advance the intake camshaft, fault 2A82 may be set if the intake camshaft is "late", or does not reach the target position. In this situation, engine power may be reduced and a check control message displayed. The consequential fault 3100 can also be set in the DME fault memory as well.

If this fault is stored under these conditions, the possible cause is that the camshaft hook ring seals (3) have worn a groove into the camshaft bearing ledge (1), causing a drop in oil supply to the VANOS unit.

[GRUSB1107U79.JPG]
    Camshaft bearing ledge

Intake camshaft

Hook ring seals

[GRUSB1107U78.JPG]
    Note the deep grooves worn into the intake camshaft bearing ledge by the camshaft hook ring seals.

[GRUSB1107U77.JPG]
    Acceptable camshaft bearing ledge – minor wear marks from the rotation of the camshaft are normal.

If excessive wear to the camshaft bearing ledge is found, it is only necessary to replace the intake camshaft sealing rings and the intake camshaft bearing ledge.

PARTS INFORMATION
    Part Number
    Description
    Quantity

11 31 1 705 512
    Intake camshaft hook ring seals

11 12 7 550 913
    Intake bearing ledge

WARRANTY INFORMATION
    Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code
    11 31 21 26 00

Main Work*

Labor Operation:
    11 31 028
    Removing and installing or replacing

Labor Allowance:
    Refer to KSD

*Main Work:
    Use this labor operation number when this is the only repair being performed, or if this is the main repair when performed along with other repairs at the same time. If this is not the main repair, refer to KSD for the associated (+) labor operation code.

[ Copyright 2008 BMW of North America, LLC ]
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 11-13-2013 at 09:48 AM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i believe the newer part is a one piece ring less likely to separate which would than score the ledges

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i believe the newer part is a one piece ring less likely to separate which would than score the ledges
    My 335is had the one piece ring, which did not solve the problem

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    Your first 5 pictures look like one half of the cam ledge, is the 6th picture the other half? I'd like to see the splitline on the other half; if the wear isnt consistant past the splitline, then the runout of the ledge in the picture is bad and ovalized. Whether it stems from manufacturing or use is beyond me. Are cams scored too? Do they require replacement?
    The pics are of both the BEARING LEDGE and CARRIER. I told Ivo to keep the parts and I will take better pics and the cams are fine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My 335is had the one piece ring, which did not solve the problem
    yea i figured i was just pointing that out.. the failure rate of those vs the old design def seem much improved though

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yea i figured i was just pointing that out.. the failure rate of those vs the old design def seem much improved though
    True that, I just wish I had one of the cars that it would not fail.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    FML car threw VANOS codes this morning. Going to clean off the solenoids and pray.

I'll bet a penny the next S motor has this problem as well. BMW doesn't like to fix design flaws in the head (cam ledge) or crank (rod bearing shenanigans). $#@!'s weak.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

True that, I just wish I had one of the cars that it would not fail.
    They're called Stock / Unmodded; or "Honda's"
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    They're called Stock / Unmodded; or "Honda's"
    So your saying my wish will only come true if I had a "unmodded/stock(which is saying the same thing twice) or Honda (which is the worst car for me), Damn that IS something to think about!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Stock cars develop this issue too Click here to enlarge at least its not rod bearings like the S65
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    Stock cars develop this issue too Click here to enlarge at least its not rod bearings like the S65
    You see far more N54s than I do, how much of a problem do you anticipate this being? I’ve never seen that type of scoring on the ledges before. So naturally I’m now paranoid.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not very common but it does happen..google cam bearing ledges bmw..not n54 only..i wouldn't be too worried
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    Not very common but it does happen..google cam bearing ledges bmw..not n54 only..i wouldn't be too worried
    It’s seriously obnoxious how many issues there are across platforms w/ BMW. Yea my friend had an E39 M5 slice up the cam ledges twice in 50K miles, no signs of oil starvation or anything like that, car was a daily driver and was well cared for.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast