Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

n54 open downpipe

Any power gains with the open downpipe, some say u will loose 10-15hp and other say u will gain hp?

what's the advantages and dis of the open downpipe?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Not with stock turbos. Maybe with a large single. I'll add a cutout to my exhaust to find out. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Not with stock turbos. Maybe with a large single. I'll add a cutout to my exhaust to find out. Click here to enlarge
    they said the open downpipe will help to spool faster, is it true?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wouldn't it sound like a high revving 4 banger Civic? LOUD!!!
    08 535i 6MT - JB4 G5 ISO - Luke performance flash - E40 & BMS 100% Meth - AR design catless DP - ETS 5" intercooler - BMS DCI - BMS OCC - ER chargepipe - HKS BOV - K-sport coilovers - UUC evo SSK - CDV deleted - ACS spoiler - Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hkninja Click here to enlarge
    Wouldn't it sound like a high revving 4 banger Civic? LOUD!!!
    sure

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
    they said the open downpipe will help to spool faster, is it true?
    With the factory turbos it did not help much (track and dyno tested it) but with a larger slower spooling turbo. We'll see.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm running an open dump and I hate it. I would NEVER put that on a BMW. That is what you're talking about right? an open wastegate dump? you can't possibly mean a turn down, like no exhaust at all.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh, I see you are talking about a turn down. The drone would be absolutely horrible. Like Terry said, the best solution for that would be electric cutouts. I really don't think you'd see any HP losses. that's a myth that doesn't apply to FI. I imagine you'd see some decent guys on upgrade turbo cars. I know the SC M3 guys are seeing gains with cutouts.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    With the factory turbos it did not help much (track and dyno tested it) but with a larger slower spooling turbo. We'll see.
    It all depends on the pressure differential across the turbine, right?

If there is much above ambient pressure in the downpipes, then the exhaust needs to be opened up either through larger diameter piping or a cutout. However there will be a point of diminishing returns where larger diameter just means louder, not more power.

Simple way to test would be to hook a boost gauge to the downpipes. You could have a small 1/8 NPT bung welded into the downpipes (Macht Schnell downpipes have this already, through it is a misplaced EGT bung), and run a copper line up to dissipate the heat, then hook the boost gauge to that.

For the love of god, unless this is a track only car don't take the exhaust off your BMW.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

I should clarify by saying at ~400rw dropping the factory catback and running completely open downpipes yielded no power gains on the dyno or track other than the weight reduction gains.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I should clarify by saying at ~400rw dropping the factory catback and running completely open downpipes yielded no power gains on the dyno or track other than the weight reduction gains.
    That's a quality data point.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    boost controlled cutouts ftw.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    u will run the open downpipe on the 135i 5862 turbo?
    about 50lb weight reduction
    Last edited by 135idct; 10-29-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
    u will run the open downpipe on the 135i 5862 turbo?
    about 50lb weight reduction
    I left the design up to FFTEC but my concept of what I'd like (in a perfect world) is a 3.5" downpipe off the turbo going to a manual cutout somewhere around the passenger seat, straight back connecting to the OEM muffler connection. Resonator and midpipes will come out obviously.

So when I'm driving around the car will stay relatively quiet. And when I want maximum exhaust flow (like at the track) I can easily open it up.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

N54 sounds like $#@! with no exhaust. Here's my car with open catless downpipes

M3.
    Mazda3 that is Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Could be the video...but I think it sounds good to me, more like a race car than with exhaust that's for sure lol
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    I'm running an open dump and I hate it. I would NEVER put that on a BMW. That is what you're talking about right? an open wastegate dump? you can't possibly mean a turn down, like no exhaust at all.
    What do you hate about the screamer pipe?.. i love the sound of them Click here to enlarge.. and especially on your motor, it wouldn't open unless you were pretty high rpm?

i mean.. getting 700+WHP from a turbo BMW isn't exactly something you'd usually think as ok to do to these cars imo hahaha.. slap a big turbo with a ton of boost and EWG on, and it's going to make a tonnnnnnn of noise!
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It shouldn't make an appreciable difference. Be careful of the heat though... definitely not a good mod besides weight imho.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    How can you hate the gate!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LOL. It's obnoxious. SO LOUD. I'll try to grab some vids today.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    at what power level do we see gains in removing the secondary cats?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I removed mine on my 335i at ~440HP and seemed to pick up a couple from the butt dyno. obviously i have no hard evidence but my car was consistently faster than other N54s around with similar mods. I ran a MR.5 custom exhaust, Matt Schnell 3" catless DP, stock exhaust to the secondary cats that were removed and replaced with vibrant resonators and then to magnaflow mufflers. i personally thought it was too quiet but did seem to pick up a few HP.