Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

8 out of 8 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

DEFIV Fabrication Direct Port Methanol Setup - Tuning Begins

After the direct port methanol setup was completed, strapped on and shaken down we sourced a BT Cable from @LostMarine so that @rick@defiv could begin tuning in earnest.

The last log from that day is here: http://datazap.me/u/uniter/defiv-fab...ce-added?1-5-6 Rick was able to add in additional timing as well as pull out timing advance / IAT compensation values (DEFIV is experimenting with their own IAT sensor but softening the compensations tables does the same ATM.)

The DEFIV Plate can accommodate a fuel rail, methanol and nitrous nozzles all at the same time.

Here's a shot of the nozzles spraying in a test run:

The Procede is doing a good job of managing the PWM Meth injection system and introducing more timing advance on top of our flashed values. I'm sure that any HFS-4 system could do the same.

All in all I'm enjoying the new-found power, I'm confident that I'm getting well metered equivalent flow into each cylinder.

On to the pics:
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

"its stock"
    Click here to enlarge
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    whoa!! nice job, i just saw you uploaded this log on datazap so i came right over here hoping for a thread on it hahah
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Yeah @rick@defiv still has more tuning up his sleeve, I just have to let the car go long enough for him to do it!
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is soooo freaking cool!

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    very nice. did the plate affect the fitment of the aftermarket charpe pipe?
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    It pushes the TB inlet like an inch offset. So yeah the fitment changes, ER or STETT CPs should be fine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Nope. Fits eerily well to my surprise.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you have to use longer intake manifold studs to clear the plate? I've always thought this could be done by biasing the IAT sensor during WOT conditions only, but had to wait for the software gurus to figure it out. Even with the checkvalve nozzles, I'm still concerned with flashback though. Any servicability issues with the nozzles under the mani? Any pics of the runners in the adapter plate showing nozzle fittment? I've wanted to do this for so long!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rick@defiv Click here to enlarge
    Nope. Fits eerily well to my surprise.
    Awesome stuff!
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Also, a few timing dropouts in that log. Did you measure actual flow at 14V? Did you capture bank 2 fuel trims?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    Also, a few timing dropouts in that log. Did you measure actual flow at 14V? Did you capture bank 2 fuel trims?
    Longer intake mani studs were created.

Bank 2 wasn't cap'd, there's more important parameters to data log (like bank 1 & 2 AFR.) What do you mean by 'actual flow at 14v'? This is using the digital hall sensor to measure the flow. The Procede guys tell me it's just an 'arbitrary number' which differs with each setup.

There are some timing drops; this is the result of 3 experimental flashes and road logging done yesterday. A smooth tune will require a bit more of Ricks time massaging all the tables into order.

We've discussed biasing the IAT sensor when we have methanol flow and WOT; also we conducted some measurements of the in-port IAT sensor (which seems to be working.) There's definitely a few avenues for addressing IAT compensation.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    this is some exciting stuff...can't wait to see the fully tuned results Click here to enlarge

throw some logs into VD too and post up those charts

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The adapter plate looks interesting. Any close up photos so I can see how meth nozzle clearance is, how traditional injectors would mount, etc?
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    nice setup! The meth flow does seems to vary by up to 5 points... my experience is steady within a value of 1 at max DC day to day, run to run. Prob not a big deal, but I'd at least think about it. I take it no check valves... I think AQ offers nozzles with them. Measuring the flow would be good to know where you're at in volume.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    The adapter plate looks interesting. Any close up photos so I can see how meth nozzle clearance is, how traditional injectors would mount, etc?
    I'll email you a 3D drawing once I've finished the design in Solidworks-I did countersink the nozzles, which are entering each port at a 45 degree angle from the bottom edge to accommodate additional injectors to be more centrally located in the port. Essentially, It will be like a standard port injection setup as far as angles are concerned, just upside down.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    nice setup! The meth flow does seems to vary by up to 5 points... my experience is steady within a value of 1 at max DC day to day, run to run. Prob not a big deal, but I'd at least think about it. I take it no check valves... I think AQ offers nozzles with them. Measuring the flow would be good to know where you're at in volume.
    They are aquamist 0.4mm checkvalved nozzles, we're still collecting data, but yes that is something I had noticed as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Sounds great. Maybe this will be the solution to our single turbo fueling woes. Six normal low pressure fuel injectors with the JB4 running them. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds great. Maybe this will be the solution to our single turbo fueling woes. Six normal low pressure fuel injectors with the JB4 running them. Click here to enlarge
    That's the idea...Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice. The days of using DI for cooling and efficiency and PI for volume will soon be upon us.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    What do you mean by 'actual flow at 14v'?
    Powering the pump at 14 volts, 100% FAV DC and measuring 'actual' flow in a cup.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Please tell me you will at least setup some type of batch fire compatibility. I challenged Shiv to this task many years ago, and he didn't step up to the plate. If you can do this, I'd seriously consider the JB4 for the first time actually.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2300+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/
    Or the BX8 Enthusiast Group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/353105035077862/
    Cars: 2005 E46 330i - Sold | 2007 E90 335i - Crashed | 2009 E93 335i - Current | 1996 E36 328i Sedan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Anything we can do to safely get more fuel in will be on the table. I'd be happy to program the JB4 to batch fire injectors once the hardware is available to me.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anything we can do to safely get more fuel in will be on the table. I'd be happy to program the JB4 to batch fire injectors once the hardware is available to me.
    Some people get worked up over the sequential vs batch. But IMO, batch fire would be totally sufficient.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2300+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/
    Or the BX8 Enthusiast Group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/353105035077862/
    Cars: 2005 E46 330i - Sold | 2007 E90 335i - Crashed | 2009 E93 335i - Current | 1996 E36 328i Sedan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Please tell me you will at least setup some type of batch fire compatibility. I challenged Shiv to this task many years ago, and he didn't step up to the plate. If you can do this, I'd seriously consider the JB4 for the first time actually.
    I feel bad for you, you were preaching this until blue in the face and everyone was giving you $#@!. Now that someone did it, everyone is acting like they turned lead into gold. I guess all it takes is someone to do it...Click here to enlarge We all know you were out there trying to make it happen over a year ago...Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Need to calm that timing down a bit, but looks good otherwise. Great project!
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast