Close

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Beginning of a modern BMW Tuning revolution? Introducing the free BimmerBoost.com MSD80 / MSD81 'true opensource' N54 flash program/utility

As many visitors to this website know, the community here pulled together and has developed a truly free and open tuning solution for BMW vehicles equipped with the MSD80 / MSD81 Siemens ECU such as those with the popular N54 motor (135/335). How did this come about? Well, a certain vendor known for milking the community dry at any opportunity to line his own pockets managed to twist what was portrayed as an open source tuning solution into a $400 closed source flashing tablet. He pissed off the wrong BMW community.

Click here to enlarge

The membership here pulled together and now BimmerBoost.com is happy to present its free N54 flash utility available for download under the downloads tab you should see toward the top of this page. The fact that this community was able to accomplish what nobody else had in record time speaks for itself. BimmerBoost.com proves the best and brightest the BMW tuning community has to offer reside here. Quality over quantity prevails.

This is a monumental achievement for several reasons. One, BimmerBoost users showed they will not just sit around and complain about vendors taking advantage of them. They will do something about it and do something they have. Secondly, it shows how powerful this network of websites has become essentially opening up tuning for a platform where codes are guarded like nuclear secrets not only by BMW but by tuners themselves. That speaks volumes to the resourcefulness and talent of this community.

I would personally like to thank the community here and express my respect and gratitude. These members in particular deserve a thanks from everyone for helping make this happen:

@Terry@BMS @klipseracer @Roy Cormier @ajm8127 @flash guy @lulz_m3

To the members who donated for cables, spare ecu's, etc., please PM me if you would like to be added to the names listed to get your due credit as I did not keep a list of the names. I will edit you into this post.

It's interesting to note that it was the vendor who attempted to extort the community (again) that helped this happen as quickly as it did. If it was not for burning the wrong bridges in the past certain people would not be as galvanized as they were. He essentially shot himself in the foot a long time ago. Bravo sir, my hat is off to you. Your own greed and arrogance cost you money and put a forum you try to keep down in the strongest position it has ever been. I want to send you a fruit basket filled with Procede's.

Regarding source code, due to said vendor stating he wished to take the code others have worked on it will be distributed under a license by BimmerBoost.com to developers. This is also to prevent individuals who have expressed a desire to steal the software and then sell it illegally profiting off the free and honest work of members here. The software license agreement covers distribution, simply look it over. Android ports for mobile devices are in the works as well as specific editions for tuning options such as the BMS JB4. All versions are developed under the copyright BimmerBoost.com holds (AND WILL ENFORCE) on the software.

Thank you to everyone involved and those who supported the effort. It is interesting the youngest and smallest (by volume) of the major BMW sites is having the biggest impact in real world tuning for its users. Who really is the best? I leave that up to you to judge.

This is just the beginning. As you have noticed our new downloads section above allows members to exchange files and maps. A member can upload a tune they created themselves to get feedback for example or have others test it. A member can upload a file specifically for a certain type of fuel. A member can upload a private download that only their tuner can access and the tuner can then post this same private file for the user to download. A member can specify what other members can download their file. There are a multitude of options.

Going forward, BimmerBoost hopes to open up tuning on multiple BMW platforms. The N63/S63 motors hopefully will come next but let's all just be happy for now that this even took place.

On a personal note, I hope the N54 community in particular realizes the enthusiasm that started this site is alive and well as proven by this collaboration. There is a large difference between playing around and trolling forums and then actually concentrating that energy into something productive. This is the result of positive practice and effort, not irrelevant OT posting/flaming. One should be paid attention to, the other should not.

Congratulations to the N54 community and the BimmerBoost community, you changed the course of BMW tuning history today.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    A+ sir

The POWER of innovation and entrepreneurship is truly alive
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So much win here Click here to enlarge great work!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Major props and respect! @Terry@BMS @klipseracer @Roy Cormier @ajm8127 @flash guy

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    wow impresive STICKY, way to go amigo, I want to thank everyone on this, no more ASS Wipes trying to screw us around!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This Awesome. Congrats and thanks.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice work to all involved. I take it you need a Windows laptop or bootcamp to run this?
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R / Koni Sport | BBS LM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very excite! Stuff like this restores my faith in humanity! As soon as I get my BT cable I'll be balls deep in one of Terry's backend flashes! Thanks to all involved.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If anyone is in the NE Florida area/SE Georgia area and wants to make a trip to Jacksonville i can Flash maps for you. Just shoot me a pm.

Click here to enlarge
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I still can't believe how fast this was developed! Great job to everyone involved in making this happen. Now I just have to grow the balls to tune my 1M....Click here to enlarge
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    +10,000 page views. Great job sticky!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks to everyone involved! I can't wait to see the future of this

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Amazing work, thank you to all involved!
    H O O N

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Thanks to the community for this! Its indeed the most technical forum that I have seen and its a pleasure to be a member on this growing forum. Thanks for all that have participated in getting this to work.

I just scored on a used BT cable for 150!!!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    Thanks to the community for this! Its indeed the most technical forum that I have seen and its a pleasure to be a member on this growing forum. Thanks for all that have participated in getting this to work.

I just scored on a used BT cable for 150!!!
    I got mine for $6 Click here to enlarge
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    I got mine for $6 Click here to enlarge
    thats a robbery!!! lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great work Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Awesome!!! Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    If anyone is in the NE Florida area/SE Georgia area and wants to make a trip to Jacksonville i can Flash maps for you. Just shoot me a pm.
    Why can't you be in so-cal @lulz_m3 ?! I would love to get someone to give me a quick rundown on tunes and flashes and learn as much as possible since I'm new to tuning.

Anyways, This has been a great achievement for BB and the N54 community! Very awesome work done by all involved.
    2010 335i Coupe- Monaco Blue Metallic

CF performance spoiler // VMR V701 18x8.5 (front) 18x9.5 (rear)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good Job, and Congrats to all involved. Thank you to those who spared time and parts as well!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Maybe I'm missing it, but where are the download links to the source, binaries, and/or license agreement?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyone in So Cal with a cable want to do some flashing !!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Fantastic! Good job to everyone on board as this is truly something special to come from BB!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Congrats!
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Regarding source code, due to said vendor stating he wished to take the code others have worked on it will be distributed under a license by BimmerBoost.com to developers. This is also to prevent individuals who have expressed a desire to steal the software and then sell it illegally profiting off the free and honest work of members here. The software license agreement covers distribution, simply look it over. Android ports for mobile devices are in the works as well as specific editions for tuning options such as the BMS JB4. All versions are developed under the copyright BimmerBoost.com holds (AND WILL ENFORCE) on the software.
    Does this mean you won't be releasing the source code? There are a number of licenses under which the source can be released which directly protects against the risks you've identified. The most obvious being the GNU Public License.

Not releasing the source code would be a flip on shiv level proportions. Let the community benefit from a truly open source flashing solution.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

0 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Found the download link..
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    Congrats!
    Does this mean you won't be releasing the source code? There are a number of licenses under which the source can be released which directly protects against the risks you've identified. The most obvious being the GNU Public License.

Not releasing the source code would be a flip on shiv level proportions. Let the community benefit from a truly open source flashing solution.
    Yeah, this is my concern. It seems this is quickly being backpedaled to "sorta open source". If developers have no power to branch, release, and host source code on their own, I wouldn't qualify that as open source. It's more like Microsoft's approach back in the day to get Windows source code. You could sorta get the source, but couldn't really do much other than see how it worked and put yourself in a legal predicament. At some point the license is so encumbered that is really isn't what I would call open source as it goes against the spirit of what that means... I consider GPL v2, GPL v3, and Apache to be good examples. The reasons given in that paragraph highlight why you shouldn't go open source at all.

Using open source software to make money is part of the deal. Terry@BMS certainly can now use it to leverage the JB4 by letting people do the flash-under for low cost. If the copyright holder is using the supposed open source license to pick and choose winners that is totally a shiv move... Something as simple as GPL allows the copyright holder to sue if someone uses the source to build their own closed source binary/commercial product and force the modified source to be released.

Anyway, I'll look at the BB flasher download tonight, see if it includes the source and/or license and draw my conclusion then. This certainly raises eyebrows...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast