So the whole issue was just a spring?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    awesome news.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So the whole issue was just a spring?
    I hope so! If this doesn't solve it, say goodbye.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sooo..... Changed out the 1 bar spring to the 1.5 bar today. Did a log and same $#@!. Looks like it's straight compressor surge lol. I'm guessing turbo is blown in this case from all the past abuse when $#@! wasn't working right.. Idk. I'm going to see what my tuner says and yep.... I don't know. I'm getting mixed feelings. A part of me wants to see what this thing is capable of after what it has now. I think I'm going to buy a pte 6262 or something in that range. I'm going to call Comp turbo since they're kinda local I want to see what I can get and check sizing etc. Click here to enlarge no fun.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Sooo..... Changed out the 1 bar spring to the 1.5 bar today. Did a log and same $#@!. Looks like it's straight compressor surge lol. I'm guessing turbo is blown in this case from all the past abuse when $#@! wasn't working right.. Idk. I'm going to see what my tuner says and yep.... I don't know. I'm getting mixed feelings. A part of me wants to see what this thing is capable of after what it has now. I think I'm going to buy a pte 6262 or something in that range. I'm going to call Comp turbo since they're kinda local I want to see what I can get and check sizing etc. Click here to enlarge no fun.
    Whats it doing exactly? Its very possible that turbo is making too much air down low and surging the hell out of the compressor. We see that a lot in certain cars, volvos for one and right now I have been working back and forth with a tuner in Canada with the Dodge Caliber SRT turbo upgrades. The company there using, were going with bigger comp wheels and the turbos were lasting like 20-50 miles, they sent me one and I told them the compressor was surging, too much air when the throttle isnt open enough, basically just backs up in there and the tries to spin the compressor backwards, they really don't like it, the thrust is always gone. If you are surging, easiest way to fix it is to go up one size on the turbine AR. Kills a little spool, but spool is what is killing you as you cant cram it all in, you can also go with a bigger throttle body, better flowing intake manifold, or better head, all with help eliminate part throttle surge, assuming that is even what is happening here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Whats it doing exactly? Its very possible that turbo is making too much air down low and surging the hell out of the compressor. We see that a lot in certain cars, volvos for one and right now I have been working back and forth with a tuner in Canada with the Dodge Caliber SRT turbo upgrades. The company there using, were going with bigger comp wheels and the turbos were lasting like 20-50 miles, they sent me one and I told them the compressor was surging, too much air when the throttle isnt open enough, basically just backs up in there and the tries to spin the compressor backwards, they really don't like it, the thrust is always gone. If you are surging, easiest way to fix it is to go up one size on the turbine AR. Kills a little spool, but spool is what is killing you as you cant cram it all in, you can also go with a bigger throttle body, better flowing intake manifold, or better head, all with help eliminate part throttle surge, assuming that is even what is happening here.
    Thanks man, I just don't understand why. It's slow as hell spool as it is, and my EFR flowed more than this turbo at lower rpms. So I don't thin it's the engine either. I got cams as well on top so it should help flow.. I'm guessing the turbo got unbalanced or soemthing happend to it while my kit was messed up. I had boost leak, exhaust leak all that bad stuff. Maybe it over spun the turbo and cause an unbalance? It surges from 4.5-5.5k rpm then after that holds 23 psi or w/e i set it at and flows great 43lbs a min. @VargasTurboTech Does that sound like a bad balance turbo or idk. I've never heard of that and you're a turbo manufacturer LOL. so I'm sure you're an expert at this. I really appreciate your help!
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @VargasTurboTech I have a question regarding turbos in general. Can a turbo be unbalanced and still work properly the way mine is? I hear no noise from turbo, no oil, no smoke nada. the turbo seems fine. My tuner says the turbo has become unbalanced from the past when I had a boost leak and exhaust leak. He said the turbo might have been overspun and reason for my surge etc. Have you ever heard of soemthign like that!??
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @VargasTurboTech I have a question regarding turbos in general. Can a turbo be unbalanced and still work properly the way mine is? I hear no noise from turbo, no oil, no smoke nada. the turbo seems fine. My tuner says the turbo has become unbalanced from the past when I had a boost leak and exhaust leak. He said the turbo might have been overspun and reason for my surge etc. Have you ever heard of soemthign like that!??
    Turbo unbalance not a magical thing, weight has to removed from the heavy spot to bring the wheels into perfect dynamic balance, if the turbo was the balanced the only way to knock it out is to either change the orientation of the wheels, IE disassembling the shaft from the compressor, or removing metal, IE one or both of the wheels touching the housing and removing metal, if your turbo has not touched the housing, (this where "turbo siren" usually comes in" when the compressor touches the housing. Its a simple test, take your intake off and grab the shaft and see how much play it has, its going to have some, as the bearings are a full float design and when the engine is running the oil pressure takes that up with a film of oil the bearings ride on. If it does not have enough to contact the housing, try to push it all the way to one side and turn and see if you can get it touch, it you cant, it has not come unbalanced. Problem is, when you get this situation you also get smoke, etc. So I doubt this is your problem. Shops who cannot find issues are usually pretty quick to point the finger at the turbo. I am not there so I cant say for sure, but check the shaft play, that should give you more information.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Turbo unbalance not a magical thing, weight has to removed from the heavy spot to bring the wheels into perfect dynamic balance, if the turbo was the balanced the only way to knock it out is to either change the orientation of the wheels, IE disassembling the shaft from the compressor, or removing metal, IE one or both of the wheels touching the housing and removing metal, if your turbo has not touched the housing, (this where "turbo siren" usually comes in" when the compressor touches the housing. Its a simple test, take your intake off and grab the shaft and see how much play it has, its going to have some, as the bearings are a full float design and when the engine is running the oil pressure takes that up with a film of oil the bearings ride on. If it does not have enough to contact the housing, try to push it all the way to one side and turn and see if you can get it touch, it you cant, it has not come unbalanced. Problem is, when you get this situation you also get smoke, etc. So I doubt this is your problem. Shops who cannot find issues are usually pretty quick to point the finger at the turbo. I am not there so I cant say for sure, but check the shaft play, that should give you more information.
    @VargasTurboTech Perfect thank you so much. I have done this already and I have no shaft play whatsoever. I will try what you stated to push it toward one side and to turn it to see if it makes contact. Reason is that when my turbo surges then when it stops surging at 5.5k rpm from then on the boost is solid, and it flows 43 lbs/min till 6.5k rpm redline. This turbo can flow about 60 lbs/min, so I'm guessing it's doing okay if it can flow that much. What do you think? Sound like tuning issue?
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @VargasTurboTech Perfect thank you so much. I have done this already and I have no shaft play whatsoever. I will try what you stated to push it toward one side and to turn it to see if it makes contact. Reason is that when my turbo surges then when it stops surging at 5.5k rpm from then on the boost is solid, and it flows 43 lbs/min till 6.5k rpm redline. This turbo can flow about 60 lbs/min, so I'm guessing it's doing okay if it can flow that much. What do you think? Sound like tuning issue?
    Surge can be a real pain in the ass, but surge is only one thing, the air in the charge piping trying to reverse and spin the shaft and wheels backwards and pushing it back in axially. This causes tremendous stress on the strust assembly and if surge is really bad it can burst comp wheels etc. Why are you calling it surge? Compressor surge is also very very NOISY. When you get surge you will hear it, sounds like air buffeting when you have one window cracked in the car, but much louder. My guess is you are not surging but have another problem.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Surge can be a real pain in the ass, but surge is only one thing, the air in the charge piping trying to reverse and spin the shaft and wheels backwards and pushing it back in axially. This causes tremendous stress on the strust assembly and if surge is really bad it can burst comp wheels etc. Why are you calling it surge? Compressor surge is also very very NOISY. When you get surge you will hear it, sounds like air buffeting when you have one window cracked in the car, but much louder. My guess is you are not surging but have another problem.
    I'll record a video inside cabin. It sounds like surge, Cha Cha Cha during spool. I definitely hear it haha. My log shows the lbs/min jumping up n down so something is definitely happening. Maybe it's still the wg spring?

I upped the spring to 1.5 bar and turned the mbc all the way to zero. So I should be boosting 22 psi wg spring correct? I was only hitting 17psi. My guess is that the exhaust gasses are so strong, it's still pushing the WG flap open. Is this a posibility?
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'll record a video inside cabin. It sounds like surge, Cha Cha Cha during spool. I definitely hear it haha. My log shows the lbs/min jumping up n down so something is definitely happening. Maybe it's still the wg spring?

I upped the spring to 1.5 bar and turned the mbc all the way to zero. So I should be boosting 22 psi wg spring correct? I was only hitting 17psi. My guess is that the exhaust gasses are so strong, it's still pushing the WG flap open. Is this a posibility?
    Oh ok, well if you hear it, then you hear it, its surging. A lot of things could cause it, What size is the AR on your turbine?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh ok, well if you hear it, then you hear it, its surging. A lot of things could cause it, What size is the AR on your turbine?
    I believe .63he said 10cm^2 or something idk.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gLSxXYT0dw
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I believe .63he said 10cm^2 or something idk.

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gLSxXYT0dw[/url]
    a .63 should be about perfect for that car. Question, are the cobalts drive by wire, or do they have a throttle cable? I am ignorant to all things Cobalt. If it is a drive by wire system, I could easily see this being in the tune, make sure the tuner is logging for throttle closures, if the engine is reacting to the tune in a negative way and closing the throttle a significant amount, either to control boost or otherwise, that could easily cause this mid range surge you are experiencing, if you have a throttle cable, then its not possible. Just more things to consider.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm pretty sure its wire. I told him to check the TB closure and make sure its open during WOT. Everything is fine. Some people helped me with boost lines I'm about to try all their recmonedatinos
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @VargasTurboTech Here you go. This is a vid of the compressor surge. I fixed some of the boost lines, the car feels better but still surges. Hopefully with these new routed lines my tuner can see something idk.

Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Update: Got a new more legit boost leak tester. Hooked the $#@! up today did a boost leak since I never did one with the new motor in. Found a huge mother fukcing leak. Bigger than anyone would have guessed and in the stupidest place ever... Intake mani gasket..
    @VargasTurboTech @BoostAddict

Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I figured you would have done a boost leak test long before changing springs etc. Also you had this car at a mechanic and he didn't find that? That's crazy, I'm just glad you found something, let us know how it works out once you get it fixed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I figured you would have done a boost leak test long before changing springs etc. Also you had this car at a mechanic and he didn't find that? That's crazy, I'm just glad you found something, let us know how it works out once you get it fixed.
    Well, the thing is I had that manifold on before on the last engine. I paid my tuner also a mechanic to come down here for 5 days and to a motor swap along with more things in the built etc. We ran into snags and lasted 2 days longer than it should have. I didn't think we'd have a leak cause I already did one on the last engine 2 months prior. But I guess anything can happen. And the spring I did cause everyone on the evo forums were having issues so I thought that would be it. So this one should be the last issue. It's a pretty huge leak.
    Burger Motorsports

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456