Motor Trend tests the AMS Alpha 12 GTR

Good video and somewhat informative

We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    2 of them are suppose to show up to the Chicago 1/2 mile. Can't wait to see them blasting down the air strip.
    PTF PROTuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wonder what it would take to do a slow-mo video of a launch like they do? Special camera or just higher framerate normal GoPro type setup?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very impressive how the stand alone integrates with all the stock electronics. Now if I could only get a job doing that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by amclint Click here to enlarge
    I wonder what it would take to do a slow-mo video of a launch like they do? Special camera or just higher framerate normal GoPro type setup?
    I'm sure Motor Trend has a professional grade slow motion camera. I don't think a GoPro could slow it down that much :p
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Very impressive how the stand alone integrates with all the stock electronics. Now if I could only get a job doing that.
    AMS used to use the COBB AccessPORT & have the maps downloaded into the factory ECU. I guess they needed something more powerful. Switzer's uses Syvecs standalone for all of their Porsche packages (996 & 997) and every GTR package except their "intro level" P600 (COBB AP tune, cat-back exhaust & drop-in filters).

I'm pretty sure BoostLogic is the only GTR Package vendor that strictly uses the COBB AP for all levels; Jotech sells their packages with the COBB AP as the default option, but they give you the option to run the ProEFI or Syvecs standalones
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    AMS used to use the COBB AccessPORT & have the maps downloaded into the factory ECU. I guess they needed something more powerful. Switzer's uses Syvecs standalone for all of their Porsche packages (996 & 997) and every GTR package except their "intro level" P600 (COBB AP tune, cat-back exhaust & drop-in filters).

I'm pretty sure BoostLogic is the only GTR Package vendor that strictly uses the COBB AP for all levels; Jotech sells their packages with the COBB AP as the default option, but also allows you to go with the ProEFI or Syvecs standalones
    The Cobb AccessPort is definitely a cool product, but as AMS found out, and as you know, you are still limited by the stock ECU hardware. All depends on design goals.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    The Cobb AccessPort is definitely a cool product, but as AMS found out, and as you know, you are still limited by the stock ECU hardware. All depends on design goals.
    Exactly -- I'm sure as long you're using the the stock turbos + motor, there's no significant difference in performance between a COBB, Syvecs & ProEFI tuned GTRs. But the minute you add bigger turbos & a built motor (introducing variables the OEM ECU wasn't designed for), it starts to fall behind the standalones. BUT in addition you get a lot more features from the Syvecs & ProEFI -- Launching with Anti-lag, Rolling Anti-Lag, E85/Flex-Fuel Integration, a more sophisticated Launch Control, etc
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna