Close

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 338

Thread: 03 EVO 8 Build

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    3,909
    Rep Points
    2,484.2
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25



    Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, I wasn't expecting to spend this much money on this car but after some research, to keep DD a 10 sec car, I'm definately going to need to upgrade Tranny and TC. A was also hoping that the internals were built but they're not, so that's even more money. Oh well, I wanted a 10 sec car, you have to pay to play I suppose. I'm hoping to get an X1 this fall though so I can stop DDing the EVO.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed


  2. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    3,909
    Rep Points
    2,484.2
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25



    Yes Reputation No
    UPDATE: Currently my shop is rewiring the 400lph e85 walboro fuel pump to 14v so it can push enoug fuel to the fuel rail. They are aslo converting it from MAF to speed density. We are still waiting on the transmission to show up. I'm also working on getting a built transfer case with a mitsu OEM LSD in it. I'm really hoping the car is done in 2 weeks. Once I get it back in 2 weeks, the only thing left to do will be build the motor or buy the stroked short block and relocate the HVAC and install the 2 din stereo/nav.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed


  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jerzee
    Posts
    2,306
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    This is gonna be a serious ride when its done... Great build up sir
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    3,909
    Rep Points
    2,484.2
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25



    Yes Reputation No
    Thanks. I can't wait. I stopped by the shop Monday to get a couple things out of the car and boy do I miss it LOL. We're shooting for ~515-525HP on stock block. Really we're limiting TQ to ~415 which should translate to the HP numbers above. I think I have my big turbo sold so I'm having the shop check the shaft play on the GT35r on the car now. In the back of my mind I'm hoping it needs to be rebuilt so I can send it to Forced performance and have it upgraded to a HTA3582r. Same billet wheel as my big turbo just the same 3582r size. I'll gain almost 500rpm in spool Click here to enlarge The next decision is on the motor and there are so many options it's very difficult to decide. Whichever motor I get will be a long rod setup so I can rev it to 9k RPMs. I can stick with 2.0 which would be the cheapest, I can put a 4G64 crank in it which is your typical 2.3L stoked 4G63, I can go with a 2.4L 4G64 motor which is becoming more and more popular these days because they are so cheap and i can also put the 4G64 block in with the 4G63 crank which is a 2.1L and I don't need the long rods to rev to 9K. long rods would give me a 10k rev limit on this setup. So many choices.... what to do, what to do....

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    This is gonna be a serious ride when its done... Great build up sir
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed


  5. #55
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Points
    2,896.3
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    29


    Yes Reputation No
    I find it interesting that you guys are running longer rods to rev the motor higher, whats the Rod/Stroke ratio of the factory rods? I thought shorter rods were typically better for higher RPM use, helps keep the piston speeds down and allows a better R/S ratio.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

    Click here to enlarge

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jerzee
    Posts
    2,306
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    If the FP upgrade is on your mind you might as well go for it now... In terms of motor I would do a stroker setup myself. Take the added displacement and size a nice turbo for near perfect throttle response and great tq. My 92 Talon was a 2.2 stroked setup with a clipped 20G at the time (Circa 2000) I bought it with the built motor but went from a clipped 16G to a 20G bad move on my part. She got laggier and was slower overall, the right size turbo lesson was learned from there on in.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,540
    Rep Points
    1,746.0
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Yes Reputation No
    Nice build. I sugest a 2.4l that you can rev out to 9-10k. You will be changing your cams I assume if you are going to rev above 8200?

    How is the fit and finish of the evo in comparison to the BMW?

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    3,909
    Rep Points
    2,484.2
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25



    Yes Reputation No
    It has everything to do with rod angle. Sure the 2.3L stroked 4G63 with standard rod lenght can rev up to 9K without slapping the valves due to my headwork but how long can the crank and that rod hold up. Not nearly as long as the longer rod with shorter piston due to the decrease in rod angle.


    2.3 or 2.4 with a R/s of 1.5:1 ratio- max angularity of 19.47*
    2.4 with a R/s of 1.56:1 - max angularity of 18.75*
    2.2 with a R/s of 1.659:1- max angularity of 17.58*
    2.0 with a R/s of 1.7:1- max angularity of 17.06*

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    I find it interesting that you guys are running longer rods to rev the motor higher, whats the Rod/Stroke ratio of the factory rods? I thought shorter rods were typically better for higher RPM use, helps keep the piston speeds down and allows a better R/S ratio.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed


  9. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    3,909
    Rep Points
    2,484.2
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25



    Yes Reputation No
    Just don't have the $700 to spend unless I have to you know. If the turbo has shaft play now, then i can justify spending the $700 now because the car is already apart and the turbo needs to be freshened up anyways. If it doesn't need to be fixed now, that's $700 toward the motor rebuild.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    If the FP upgrade is on your mind you might as well go for it now... In terms of motor I would do a stroker setup myself. Take the added displacement and size a nice turbo for near perfect throttle response and great tq. My 92 Talon was a 2.2 stroked setup with a clipped 20G at the time (Circa 2000) I bought it with the built motor but went from a clipped 16G to a 20G bad move on my part. She got laggier and was slower overall, the right size turbo lesson was learned from there on in.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed


  10. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    3,909
    Rep Points
    2,484.2
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25



    Yes Reputation No
    Head is already fully built with Kelford 272 cams and supertech dual springs and Ti retainers.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Nice build. I sugest a 2.4l that you can rev out to 9-10k. You will be changing your cams I assume if you are going to rev above 8200?

    How is the fit and finish of the evo in comparison to the BMW?
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed


  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,540
    Rep Points
    1,746.0
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Head is already fully built with Kelford 272 cams and supertech dual springs and Ti retainers.
    I understand you already have cams but I was thinking you would probably want different cams if you are reving 2k higher than before no?

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jerzee
    Posts
    2,306
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Just don't have the $700 to spend unless I have to you know. If the turbo has shaft play now, then i can justify spending the $700 now because the car is already apart and the turbo needs to be freshened up anyways. If it doesn't need to be fixed now, that's $700 toward the motor rebuild.
    I totally understand bro... My motor build was not planned at all for the Vette. I've spent wisely whenever and wherever I could.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    3,909
    Rep Points
    2,484.2
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25



    Yes Reputation No
    I had bought a set of HKS 280/280 cams for the larger turbo I have but I think the kelford 272s will be ok with this turbo. I'm not sure yet. I'll have to do some reading. the good thing is I already have a larger set of cams so if the 280s are better for the super high RPMs that's what I'll go with. i know that i'll lose low end with the 280s, that's why i stuck with a 272 cam for this build/turbo.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    I understand you already have cams but I was thinking you would probably want different cams if you are reving 2k higher than before no?
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed


  14. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    delaware
    Posts
    154
    Rep Points
    206.6
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Build looks great man. Its nice to see a nicely done evo. It makes me miss mine. I dont know if you look into intake manifolds at all but my AMS intake manifold made a nice difference.
    07 e92 335i 6spd FBO for now

    03 z06. 402 with a YSI. 910whp 756wtq at 15psi 93 and meth. Current

    2007 e90 335 6at Rb turbos, Fbo, meth 11.7 at 124mph 17psi 93 and meth. Sold

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,540
    Rep Points
    1,746.0
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by litz4244 Click here to enlarge
    Build looks great man. Its nice to see a nicely done evo. It makes me miss mine. I dont know if you look into intake manifolds at all but my AMS intake manifold made a nice difference.
    His is a ported stock mani iirc.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    3,909
    Rep Points
    2,484.2
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25



    Yes Reputation No
    I almost bought one but I read that I would lose some low end torque and got knows the car is laggy enough already. I just put on a Baschur ported intake mani and throttle body. I haven't driven the car yet so I can't tell you if it made any difference but I heard that was a pretty good way to go.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by litz4244 Click here to enlarge
    Build looks great man. Its nice to see a nicely done evo. It makes me miss mine. I dont know if you look into intake manifolds at all but my AMS intake manifold made a nice difference.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed


  17. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    delaware
    Posts
    154
    Rep Points
    206.6
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    His is a ported stock mani iirc.
    Yeah i know he does. I should have put looked into after market intake manifolds. The volume of air the 35r will create at high boost a nice intake manifold will help out alot. It did with min.
    07 e92 335i 6spd FBO for now

    03 z06. 402 with a YSI. 910whp 756wtq at 15psi 93 and meth. Current

    2007 e90 335 6at Rb turbos, Fbo, meth 11.7 at 124mph 17psi 93 and meth. Sold

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    delaware
    Posts
    154
    Rep Points
    206.6
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    I almost bought one but I read that I would lose some low end torque and got knows the car is laggy enough already. I just put on a Baschur ported intake mani and throttle body. I haven't driven the car yet so I can't tell you if it made any difference but I heard that was a pretty good way to go.
    You will lose some low end but not enough to make a difference. On mine I gained 16whp with that ams mani on a turbo trix 50 trim kit on 21 psi on 93 no meth. After my car was smashed by a drunk driver we put my set up on my buddies evo. We swapped out to a 35r. He was on hks 280s, ams intake mani, turbotrix turbo kit with 35r, full bushur 3inch cat back, my shep trans and tcase, headstuds, 255 intank, and 850cc injectors, and meth he put down 505 whp. Its been so long I forget the trq and i want to say he was on 28 psi. It went constant 11.3s at 128mph. There was no noticable torque loss.
    07 e92 335i 6spd FBO for now

    03 z06. 402 with a YSI. 910whp 756wtq at 15psi 93 and meth. Current

    2007 e90 335 6at Rb turbos, Fbo, meth 11.7 at 124mph 17psi 93 and meth. Sold

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    3,909
    Rep Points
    2,484.2
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25



    Yes Reputation No
    I have a set of HKS280 in my garage right now. If I can't get into the 10s I may go with the AMS intake mani with boomba TB and the HKS280 cams. I'm hoping for 10s like this though. It'll be on a conservative e85 tune @ ~30psi and 515HP/415TQ. That's limiting the boost because of the stock block.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by litz4244 Click here to enlarge
    You will lose some low end but not enough to make a difference. On mine I gained 16whp with that ams mani on a turbo trix 50 trim kit on 21 psi on 93 no meth. After my car was smashed by a drunk driver we put my set up on my buddies evo. We swapped out to a 35r. He was on hks 280s, ams intake mani, turbotrix turbo kit with 35r, full bushur 3inch cat back, my shep trans and tcase, headstuds, 255 intank, and 850cc injectors, and meth he put down 505 whp. Its been so long I forget the trq and i want to say he was on 28 psi. It went constant 11.3s at 128mph. There was no noticable torque loss.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed


  20. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    delaware
    Posts
    154
    Rep Points
    206.6
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    I have a set of HKS280 in my garage right now. If I can't get into the 10s I may go with the AMS intake mani with boomba TB and the HKS280 cams. I'm hoping for 10s like this though. It'll be on a conservative e85 tune @ ~30psi and 515HP/415TQ. That's limiting the boost because of the stock block.
    Totally understandable man. I was just sharing my experience. I will be excited to see it on e85. I wouldnt worry so much about the stock block since its iron block and be more concerned about the pistons. But i think you will be fine. I wish you nothing but luck and cant wait to see that thing rip. Its always nice to see well done evos. Car and set up looks great man.
    07 e92 335i 6spd FBO for now

    03 z06. 402 with a YSI. 910whp 756wtq at 15psi 93 and meth. Current

    2007 e90 335 6at Rb turbos, Fbo, meth 11.7 at 124mph 17psi 93 and meth. Sold

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    3,909
    Rep Points
    2,484.2
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25



    Yes Reputation No
    Thanks. I'm just waiting to get this tranny. I bought it off a forum member almost 3 weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived and I still don't have a tracking number either. That's one thing I much prefer is the BMW crowd versus the EVO crowd. I'm also still trying to decide between shep building my TC or just buying one already built. It took shep 2 weeks from when they received my TC to when I got a price quote. (just got off the phone with trevor from shep with the quote 5 min ago). He's waiting on gears so he won't be able to build it till next week. I'd rather buy from shep though, reputable vendor with a warranty you know. I'm running out of time I can let the shop keep the car though. I also have to think about what happens if i got ripped off for the tranny. Now I have to send mine in, so not only did i lose $1600 I also have more down time now to get mine fixed. A lot going on in the next two weeks. I'm ready to just get it back and beat on it LOL!

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by litz4244 Click here to enlarge
    Totally understandable man. I was just sharing my experience. I will be excited to see it on e85. I wouldnt worry so much about the stock block since its iron block and be more concerned about the pistons. But i think you will be fine. I wish you nothing but luck and cant wait to see that thing rip. Its always nice to see well done evos. Car and set up looks great man.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed


  22. #72
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Encino,CA
    Posts
    8,040
    Rep Points
    5,733.7
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    58


    Yes Reputation No
    Good update. 2 weeks and you'll have a nice highways monster~!
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    delaware
    Posts
    154
    Rep Points
    206.6
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Damn man did you pay for the trans through pay pal? I agree sometimes the younger crowd over there can get shady. I guess that's anywhere though. I had a shep trans and tcase. From me sending him the stuff the turn around time was abou 2 weeks. The products are great and his customer service is great. I highly recommend him. Don't worry it will all work out hopefully you didn't get scammed and if you did hopefully there is some way you can get your money back. Haha trust me when you get it back and it's all done it will be well worth it.
    07 e92 335i 6spd FBO for now

    03 z06. 402 with a YSI. 910whp 756wtq at 15psi 93 and meth. Current

    2007 e90 335 6at Rb turbos, Fbo, meth 11.7 at 124mph 17psi 93 and meth. Sold

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,488
    Rep Points
    32,174.7
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    I find it interesting that you guys are running longer rods to rev the motor higher, whats the Rod/Stroke ratio of the factory rods? I thought shorter rods were typically better for higher RPM use, helps keep the piston speeds down and allows a better R/S ratio.
    You are thinking of shorter stroke not shorter rods.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    79
    Rep Points
    97.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Just want to throw my .2cents in about the Evo engine thing.
    Ive had 3 build motors in my old Evo 8 and i have lots of locals with them also, from that experience my best advice to you is to keep it simple.
    The 2.0 is the most reliable setup.
    All the stockers have some problems, some more then others . A 2.3 has piston side loading problems ,the 2.4 with a needs a special/custom water pump and custom head gasket that is hit or miss...

    Also, whatever motor you get, don't think your going to reliably rev it to 9-10k all the time unless you go with aluminum rods.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •