Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Made a move this week - BMW to Porsche

Around this time last year, I was torn between a used 997.1 C4S and a 335i X-Drive. In the end, I decided to go for the 335 and do Euro Delivery. In thinking about what I really wanted in a car, I changed my mind about AWD. The deposit was down and plane tickets booked for Munich, so I went with the 335is just before the build started.

Euro Delivery was a fantastic experience and the 335 is a great machine as many of you here know. However, the thought of a Porsche never quite left my mind. And I have other vehicles to drive when I need space for passengers or cargo, so the back seats of the 335 really weren't necessary. So I spent my Black Friday finishing the deal on a trade for an '06 Cayman S with 11k miles. CPO until 60k or the end of 2014.

Click here to enlarge

I miss the great torque from the N54, and the Cayman is never going to perform as well at a strip or in a freeway roll setting. However, I live in the middle of nowhere Colorado, and the feel you get from driving the Cayman is just so much more rewarding for the back-roads mountain driving that I enjoy doing.

I've been around Bimmers since my Dad had a '72 2002, and I will always have a love for the brand. I'll be interested to see the next M3/4 and what they end up with. However, it's going to have to be a mighty strong car to get me out of this little Cayman. If anyone that values superb handling hasn't driven one of these cars, you really owe it to yourself to try one.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Grats on the new purchase its nice and clean. I love the Cayman if I didn't need the extra space I could definitely see me making the same move as you did. Any plans for future mods?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ra2289 Click here to enlarge
    Grats on the new purchase its nice and clean. I love the Cayman if I didn't need the extra space I could definitely see me making the same move as you did. Any plans for future mods?
    Thanks! There is a good chance that I will do the TPC turbo setup on this car at some point, which will require all sorts of other upgrades as well. Until then I'm just going to enjoy it as-is with a few cosmetic things such as clearing the side markers and doing something about the side intakes.
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Congrats.

Move to the Cayman forum.

I think I will be moving away from BMW as well. Never really needed my rear seats but when I did it was nice they were there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've heard some people say the Cayman is a better driver than the 911. If that's true, I wouldn't part with it either. Enjoy your backroad driving dude. I'm envious having to live in the city with congested roads.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I still want to get my hands on a 996 C4S...grats on the buy!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the grats guys. Sticky, you should have a decent wad of cash after selling that Rolls. Lol

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ice350 Click here to enlarge
    I've heard some people say the Cayman is a better driver than the 911. If that's true, I wouldn't part with it either. Enjoy your backroad driving dude. I'm envious having to live in the city with congested roads.
    I took a buddy of mine out on a drive today over one of the better roads in the area. He looked over at one point and said that we were going faster than he goes with his sport bike buddies through some of the sections. The little yellow advisory signs for corner speeds are jokes to this car. Posted 25 = 60, one section posted 45 was done at 111 today. I can't say whether that is better than a 911 or not, but you certainly don't need a 911 to have a ridiculous amount of fun or opportunities to lose your license.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Some pics I took last night

1)
    Click here to enlarge

2)
    Click here to enlarge

3)
    Click here to enlarge

4)
    Click here to enlarge