Close

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    wedding....drinks.......just woke up......back to sleep now.....
    "We need to upgrade your skill before we upgrade your horsepower"

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Snout coming in july22nd
    Will begin finishing on the 28th
    Cupcake will be back first or second week in august

thank you lingenfelter performance engineering for being slower than my asian grandma walking uphill in the city on a 105deg day carrying my motor on her back

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What is lingenfelter doing?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What is lingenfelter doing?
    lingenfelter has designed a piece for my car that I need that ONLY they have in the whole world....its the snout that matches a certain supercharger.....they keep pushing the release date back on my and my tuner cant finish my car without it....I was told that the FINAL written in stone date was july 22nd

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I thought you were ditching the SC though? I can't keep up with what is changing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I thought you were ditching the SC though? I can't keep up with what is changing.

i am...just not this yr....my motor codename: "Planetary Devastation" has to be built first

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nuclear powered?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Nuclear powered?

with the parts im putting in it, it might as well be....$#@!....lol

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

this is why my tuner is the $#@!

New Era Performance

I always get asked about tuning, and what do you do? You just change the air fuel ratio, and add some timing right? It's not that simple, but I did type something very blunt and simple up a while back, that I decided to share with everyone just a fraction of what tuning a late model vehicle is. This is just the basics, I would have to write a novel to cover everything, my intent is to inform people that are just getting into the newer platforms that don't understand.

My name is Mike Frumusa, I am the owner of New Era Performance here in Rochester, NY. I also do all of the powertrain computer recalibration in my shop, otherwise known as “Tuning”. A brief description of a few of my accomplishments; I have been tuning late model GM for 10+ years. In 2008 I was hired by GM under contract as a calibrations engineer for 3 months, and they also rented my vehicle from me during this timeframe for us to do testing on a future development project. In the last 2 years I have been to Dubai, in the Middle East 5 times to work for the GM Dealership's performance division to tune the vehicles they are modifying. I have tuned anything from a stock vehicle to a 1200 horsepower street car and race car. My business has been featured in GM High Tech Performance magazine, Fastest Street Car magazine, Chevy High Performance magazine, Popular Hot Rodding magazine, and "FUEL" by Chevrolet Performance, etc, all in the last 6 years.

I am going to start by saying, that the information I go over with everyone here is not intended to teach an individual on how to tune your exact application, it is to explain the general understanding in basics of the recalibration process, which should give you a better idea of what is involved. However, if you do own tuning software for your vehicle, and are new to tuning, what we are going to discuss are very valuable fundamentals to get you started.

Explaining the basics on important engine sensors and how they function in relation to tuning, understanding the characteristics to each sensor is mandatory for the recalibration process

-The MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor measures frequency and then converts it to Hertz and sends the signal back to the PCM which takes the Hertz measurement and converts it to lbs. per minute, or grams per second of airflow (I use lbs. per minute). This sensor basically measures all of the air entering the engine so that it knows how much fuel to add based on all of the fuel calculations.

-The IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor is basically a thermocoupler that measures resistance and sends the signal back to the PCM and converts it to temperature in farenheit or celsius (I use farenheit). This sensor is responsible for giving the PCM the air temperature in the intake track before the air enters the engine and also helps calculate air mass.

-The Throttle Body (referred to as ETC or electronic throttle controller in drive by wire applications) in drive by cable cars, there is a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and IAC (Idle Air Control) sensor or stepper motor. In drive by cable applications, the TPS reports throttle position back to the PCM, which helps determine what state of operation the engine is in (idling, part throttle, or wide open throttle). The PCM tells the IAC what position it needs to be in to maintain the commanded engine RPM idle based on ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature), as long as it is properly calibrated. There is a table that is pre-calculated to know that a given position of the IAC allows a given amount of air to pass by the throttle body when the blade is closed, or 0% TPS. Drive by wire throttle bodies do not have an IAC, just multiple TPS, one that is a command from the PCM and one that is a report back to the PCM. All idle control is based on calculations of how much airflow passes by the blade at a given TPS percentage to maintain the commanded idle (ignition timing plays a role here too).

-The MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor measures vacuum or pressure inside the intake manifold by a 0-5 volt reference reading and converting it to KPA (Kilopascals). 101 KPA is equal to "0" pressure and any KPA value below this is vacuum, and anything above this value is positive pressure, otherwise known as boost. The main map in the PCM that manages engine operation based on feedback from this sensor is the VE (Volumetric Efficiency) map, VE is the percentage in volume of air and fuel mass that fills the cylinder in relationship to the area of volume available when the piston is at its lowest point (displacement of one cylinder). This map is defined by KPA verses RPM = VE.

-The BAP (Barometric Air Pressure) sensor measures vacuum or pressure ambient (outside of the engine) by a 0-5 volt reference reading and converting it to KPA (Kilopascals). This provides a correction factor so to say, to correct MAP readings in relation to different altitudes and temperatures. This is mostly used only in newer vehicles.

-The ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor is basically a thermocoupler that measures resistance and sends the signal back to the PCM and converts it to temperature in farenheit or celsius (I use farenheit).

-Knock sensors reduce ignition timing if a reported frequency threshold is met, and depending on how high the frequency is (which is a measurement of engine ping or detonation, otherwise known as knock) will determine how much ignition timing is removed and the decay rate of it (These thresholds and decay times are able to be calibrated in the tuning).

-Fuel injectors are used for final fuel delivery into the engine. These are “basically” solenoids that open and close (or pulse in between the internal combustion process) for a given amount of time (measured in milliseconds) to deliver "X" amount of fuel at "X" amount of pressure in "X" amount of time of the injector being in the open position. Each "X" needs to be properly calibrated to maintain proper engine operation.

-Narrowband O2 sensors measure the AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) in the exhaust manifolds, which are basically used to report back any errors from any incorrect readings or calculations by the other sensors used to measure airflow in Closed Loop operation, if there are errors, fuel trimming will occur based on the percentage of error. The PCM will command Open Loop operation depending on ECT verses IAT, and also at higher throttle transients in which a richer AFR than Stoichiometric (14.7 AFR) is desired. In Open Loop, the PCM no longer looks at the values reported from the Narrowband O2 sensors. A Wideband O2 sensor is required to provide data to the tuner in Open Loop.

Air Fuel Ratio

- AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) is the mass ratio of air to fuel present in an internal combustion engine. Tuning AFR starts with having the correct cubic inch displacement values, and fuel injector calculations such as flow rate verses vacuum or pressure, short pulse adders, and injector offset values for voltage verses vacuum or pressure, etc. Once you have calculated any changes in the calibration that were made to the engine that greatly change the air and fuel delivery in comparison to what was there prior, you can start tuning idle and part throttle AFR. For part throttle and Idle, I collect data from the Narrowband O2 sensor correction factors, which are the short and long term fuel trims in Closed Loop operation. The short term fuel trim is an attempt at being a real time fueling correction, which adds or subtracts to fuel delivery as it sees error as fast as the PCM can react. The long term fuel trim, is an average adjustment based on short trim fuel trim history that will lock in to prerecorded areas in which there was a short trim adjustment to attempt to reduce short trim fuel trims and lock in a permanent correction to an incorrect calibration, or a diagnostic issue as a temporary fix. If it is determined to be calibration related, then the MAF and VE tables need to be recalibrated to correct it. Once part throttle and idle AFR is done, you can move to Open Loop operation tuning, which you will have to determine the throttle position, MAP KPA value, and RPM thresholds that need to be met for the Open Loop Fueling values kick in, and then you have to determine the enrichment rate (How fast it kicks in once the thresholds are met). Then you have to determine what you want your target (commanded) AFR to be, and calibrate your MAF and VE tables until the target and actual AFR are as close to matching as possible to reduce any error and keep torque calculation accurate.

Ignition Timing

-Ignition timing in degrees is the rotation angle of the crankshaft ("0" degrees being when the piston is at top dead center, or the top of the cylinder) in relation to when the spark plug fires. So, in example, if the engine is at 25 degrees of timing advance, then the spark plug will fire with the crank at 25 degrees before the piston is at top dead center. We could discuss the topic of ignition timing forever, so I am going to try to keep it short and simple. From a tuning perspective, there are 2 main timing maps generally, a low octane map, and a high octane map. The PCM will use the high octane timing map, unless the knock sensors report knock repetitively and frequently (this is what happens when 87 octane gas is used), then it will switch over to the low octane timing map which is generally half the ignition timing advance, and it will remain using this map as it's base map for an undetermined amount of time, could be 1 month, could be 6 months before it reverts back to the high octane map. The base timing map is one of the most important functions to the drivability and power output of the engine.

Then, you have multiple timing maps that work off adding or subtracting to the values in the base timing map. These include ECT, IAT, COT (Cat Over Temp), VVT (Variable Valve Timing), and Torque Management. There is also an Idle timing map, and engine deceleration timing map, and an idle rpm over and under speed to increase or decrease timing based on the desired idle rpm error which adds or subtracts to the idle timing map. The idle timing map is used only when the engine is at an idle state, and the deceleration timing map is used in a deceleration state, these are also to be considered base maps for these engine operating conditions.

Now I am going to briefly go over the COT, ECT, IAT, and VVT timing maps. The COT map will add ignition timing to the base map in Open Loop Operation only, and COT will also add fuel as well, only when COT is enabled. It is enabled when a calculated exhaust gas temperature threshold is exceeded, to attempt to prevent possible damage to the catalytic converters from high exhaust gas temperature, in most cases it is incorrect and not possible for this too happen, but the manufacturer has this there to attempt to prevent replacing these components under warranty for the most part.

The ECT timing map will increase timing to the base map in lower ECT temps, and decrease timing to the base map in higher ECT temps. In the higher temperatures, and it will also reduce timing more in the higher airflow areas.

The IAT map also increases timing in lower temps (in some applications), and decreases it in higher temps. This table is should be calibrated based on the type of driving the vehicle will experience, and the location and environment it will be driven in, as well as powertrain combination.

The VVT map is generally left alone at WOT (in most applications), unless you change the cam. There is also an ignition timing map that advances spark timing for the VVT.

Maximum Brake Torque

- MBT (Maximum Brake Torque) is the AFR and Ignition Timing value in which maximum torque is achieved. Based on my experience, I have generally found the AFR value for MBT on naturally aspirated engines to be at 13.2:1, and on most power adder applications to be about 12.5:1 and this value will fluctuate slightly depending on engine rpm. Anything leaner or richer than these AFR values will start to lose torque, and if the AFR is at these values, or leaner than, the risk of detonation is highly likely.

MBT timing has too many variables to discuss what the value actually is, because the value is different on virtually every combination, and using different octane fuels such as race gas verses pump gas can change the MBT timing value, as well as camshaft profiles with more overlap decreasing DCR (Dynamic compression). Once the MBT timing value is found, anything more or less than this value will result in a loss of torque, and if you run MBT timing or higher than MBT timing on an engine without the use of race gas or some sort of higher octane fuel, the risk of detonation is again highly likely.

Torque Calculation and Torque Management

-Torque Calculation; The PCM calculates engine torque based on the data reported from all of the sensors I just mentioned with the addition of how much Ignition Timing is present. Basically, airflow, air pressure, thermal dynamics, ignition timing, commanded AFR, and available engine volume are used to calculate torque. There is also a torque modeling map inside most operating systems.

Torque Management; since the PCM can calculate torque, it attempts to manage or control it in certain scenarios. In example, let's say you are a tuning late model vehicle equipped with a standard transmission, for the most part, the torque management values are thresholds that if exceeded by torque calculation, will close throttle and/or remove ignition timing/cut fuel. If you simply max these values out, the torque management for the most part no longer exists, which doesn't really effect much in the calibration there after other than using torque calculation for diagnostic purposes.

If the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission, torque calculation plays a much bigger role, while the same characteristics apply as a standard transmission with the engine, the torque calculation is very important that it is accurate. Therefore, the engine calibration needs to be spot on before you even attempt to get into the transmission calibration. One of the main reasons for this is because line pressure is mostly determined by how much torque the PCM is calculating, so if you don't have each engine sensor properly calibrated, the transmission calibration will not function properly which can result in internal transmission damage and potential failure over time.

Why should you get your vehicle custom tuned

-Lets say you have a stock car, for example we will use a 2010 Camaro SS automatic. So, you purchased it brand new and it has a couple thousand miles on it. Before you pick your car up at the dealership, they have to fill your gas tank, what if it was a new guy that day that didn't know any better and filled it with 87 octane (I have seen this happen). The knock sensor will go crazy running off the high octane map and will shortly switch over to the low octane base timing map resulting in a permanent power loss for an undetermined amount of time, even if you fill the tank back up with 93 octane, and keep using 93 after, we don't know how long it will keep using the low octane map. This will immediately show up in the calibration process and result in a very large gain in tuning. Also, most MAF sensors can vary 10% from car to car, which has a lot to do with why the PCM can adapt to variables in fueling in Closed Loop Operation using the fuel trims, however torque calculation will still be affected if it is on the lean side which will alter the transmission shifting. The trans tune alone after the engine tune is complete, will make a significant difference to the performance improvement of the vehicle.

Now let's say you install an aftermarket air intake (CAI) and a long tube header system, you just moved some of the most important engine sensors that are involved in fuel delivery, timing, torque calculation, etc. You should always get the PCM recalibrated after you do modifications like this, or you really just don't know if the calibration is right or not. Once you get into changing cams, fuel injectors, superchargers, etc. the recalibration becomes mandatory because in most cases the engine will run very poorly if it runs at all.

-Mike
    Last edited by ultimateendz; 07-02-2013 at 06:06 PM.

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hard to read grey on grey... edit the font color.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    caddyboost

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ultimateendz Click here to enlarge
    caddyboost
    Domain is up, working, and networked. Almost there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

My new rotors on the left and the stock 1.9 on the right

Click here to enlarge

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok difficult to go off a picture but different diameter or just longer?

Also, why is the color different (lighter gray) or is that the lighting?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's bad ass
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Different diameter and longer...both are the same color....the one on the left is brand new never used and the right has 12k miles on it

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Different diameter and longer...both are the same color....the one on the left is brand new never used and the right has 12k miles on it
    That explains it thank you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    6 more days until my snout "allegedly" ships Everything else that can be done without the snout is done....I believe all that needs to be finished is the intake and the hardline meth lines...after New Era gets the snout it would take them about a week to finish and tune, after that cupcake should be on her way back......and I still dont see caddyboost.....just sayin....lol

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    and I still dont see caddyboost.....just sayin....lol
    I've been working every day on expanding the network...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is what my tuner has been busy building while cupcake was down....this gives you an idea of what the V is capable of if I could have gotten the whipple working correctly....

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok difficult to go off a picture but different diameter or just longer?

Also, why is the color different (lighter gray) or is that the lighting?
    Its probably oil residue giving it a darker "wet" look. I think the diam is bigger....can we have a top down picture?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

I have cupcake back....she is smoother, she is louder, she is more reliable, and most importantly she is faster... that is all Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very nice! can't wait to see this car in action at DOR II
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Are we going to see 1000whp?
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is what my tuner has been busy building while cupcake was down....this gives you an idea of what the V is capable of if I could have gotten the whipple working correctly...
    Are the CTS-V LSA's the only one having the problems with the Whipple??
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast