Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

2 out of 6 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Comparing a Mustang to a BMW is just nonsense. One is a touring car, the other is a muscle car. The Mustang should win in a performance comparison, as that is its primary goal. The BMW is designed to carry speed on the Autobahn and also provide a satisfying experience in the curves. It has taken Ford decades to finally be able to compete with the BMW in a performance setting, which speaks more to how much the Ford has sucked up until now than it does about any shortcoming in the BMW.

The culture around the cars is different. Pop the trunk of a Mustang and you'll see a case of Coors Light or Keystone. The Bimmer will have Spaten or Chimay. The Ford will crank Freebird or some other crap on the $#@!ty stereo. The BMW will be playing, well, not Freebird.

I would definitely drive a Mustang at the track. On the street... No thanks.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Look at their V12's...

dude, that engine comes in a 760li which is a heavy tank, not a race car...i am not even sure anyone wokrs on that motor

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    Comparing a Mustang to a BMW is just nonsense. One is a touring car, the other is a muscle car. The Mustang should win in a performance comparison, as that is its primary goal. The BMW is designed to carry speed on the Autobahn and also provide a satisfying experience in the curves. It has taken Ford decades to finally be able to compete with the BMW in a performance setting, which speaks more to how much the Ford has sucked up until now than it does about any shortcoming in the BMW.

The culture around the cars is different. Pop the trunk of a Mustang and you'll see a case of Coors Light or Keystone. The Bimmer will have Spaten or Chimay. The Ford will crank Freebird or some other crap on the $#@!ty stereo. The BMW will be playing, well, not Freebird.

someone gets it!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    as far as the Nitrous comments, you can thank a very large displacement motor for that, BMWs are not nor have they ever been drag cars nor does Bmw create any motors of that displacement any more so your comparisons are utterly silly
    What does displacement have to do with ability for the motor to handle the nitrous...
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Good post.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    dude, that engine comes in a 760li which is a heavy tank, not a race car...i am not even sure anyone wokrs on that motor
    You mentioned BMW has nothing of comparable displacement as an absolute. Doesn't matter what car it is in.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Now in the 9's if it hasn't been said already. Haha.

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Lots of misconceptions and stereotypes in your statements. To each their own, however. Consider that the Mustang was a running a 4V V8 in 1996 and a independent rear in the 99-01 and 03-04 Cobra. I wouldn't call that being behind the curve for Ford. Frankly BMW adopted the tried and true V8 GT concept that Ford has rocked for decades with the current M3. BMW keeps changing the M3 with every new iteration. First it was a 4V 4cyl, then various versions of a inline 6 and now it's a V8. And soon to be a boosted V6?

The Mustang has continued with a proven layout for decades, I will totally concede the SRA is archaic in many ways. However it seems to work just fine when walking M3's in most every competitive situation whether road, drag strip, road course or auto-x. Again everyone has an opinion but let's be factual when talking about the cars. It's a matter of taste and what you ultimately desire. The are equally impressive cars but one is decidedly faster.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Having owned both, your statements aren't even close to reality my friend.

And that stereo line. Well at least in my mustang I could hear the radio with the top down, something my M roadster was sadly lacking. Try out a shaker system, and then get back to me about the BMW stereo, LOL.

I will concede the beer thing, except in mine where a case of Kasteel triple, or Chimay Grand reserve often resided.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mramg1 Click here to enlarge
    Having owned both, your statements aren't even close to reality my friend.

And that stereo line. Well at least in my mustang I could hear the radio with the top down, something my M roadster was sadly lacking. Try out a shaker system, and then get back to me about the BMW stereo, LOL.

I will concede the beer thing, except in mine where a case of Kasteel triple, or Chimay Grand reserve often resided.
    Having owned both I agree as well...

Whoosh I don't mind the negative rep but at least man up and post a response dude. A valid response never hurt
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    Having owned both I agree as well...

Whoosh I don't mind the negative rep but at least man up and post a response dude. A valid response never hurt
    Yeah, uh... Take a look at my rep power and points. Wasn't me that neg repped you, as I can't rep anybody.

Yes, BMW put a V8 into the E9x M car, but this was to compete with Porsche in ALMS, not because they thought the car would be cross-shopped with the Mustang.

I agree that the stereotypes I cited were pretty dumb, but was using them to illustrate my point that these cars cater to different people.
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maui86 Click here to enlarge
    Now in the 9's if it hasn't been said already. Haha.

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/
    They have a 5.0 mustang with a 4.0L whipple running 8.99s at 153...
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, uh... Take a look at my rep power and points. Wasn't me that neg repped you, as I can't rep anybody.

Yes, BMW put a V8 into the E9x M car, but this was to compete with Porsche in ALMS, not because they thought the car would be cross-shopped with the Mustang.

I agree that the stereotypes I cited were pretty dumb, but was using them to illustrate my point that these cars cater to different people.
    So you used negative sterotypes to prove an invalid point... I'll end that conversation right there bro!

As for the reps, it clearly shows who issued positive and neagtive reps, lets not be naive
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lots of misconceptions and stereotypes in your statements. To each their own, however. Consider that the Mustang was a running a 4V V8 in 1996 and a independent rear in the 99-01 and 03-04 Cobra. I wouldn't call that being behind the curve for Ford. Frankly BMW adopted the tried and true V8 GT concept that Ford has rocked for decades with the current M3. BMW keeps changing the M3 with every new iteration. First it was a 4V 4cyl, then various versions of a inline 6 and now it's a V8. And soon to be a boosted V6?

The Mustang has continued with a proven layout for decades, I will totally concede the SRA is archaic in many ways. However it seems to work just fine when walking M3's in most every competitive situation whether road, drag strip, road course or auto-x. Again everyone has an opinion but let's be factual when talking about the cars. It's a matter of taste and what you ultimately desire. The are equally impressive cars but one is decidedly faster.
    The solid rear axle IS archaic, no way around this. The Mustang gets it primarily due to drag racing emphasis.

He is right the BMW will cruise on the autobahn and is designed for it. The 03-04 had an independent rear? I thought just the 99-01.

He is right that BMW owners in general will have more sophisticated taste. You will see guys guzzling Keystone at the track in their Mustangs and that will be a far more common site than any BMW's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As for the reps, it clearly shows who issued positive and neagtive reps, lets not be naive
    He can't rep you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was under the impression that anybody with less than 100 Rep Points can't "rep" anybody...positive or negative. Not taking sides here, just trying to understand the rep system as others have also claimed to have been "neg repped" by a member with less than 100 Rep Points...(??)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    He can't rep you.
    That's what I thought but you beat me to it Sir...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    He can't rep you.
    Take a look bro shows me in notifications a Red Box and his name... Perhaps I missed something!
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So you used negative sterotypes to prove an invalid point... I'll end that conversation right there bro!

I don't see how the stereotypes are negative. If you like to drink your beer by the case and listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd then it's not negative. If you don't do those things, then the stereotype is simply not accurate. If I had called Mustang drivers axe-murdering sociopaths, then that would be a negative stereotype.

As for the negative rep, please see my image below to see what happens when I try to negative rep your post:

Click here to enlarge

I don't know what you see that "clearly shows" who is doing the reps, but clearly I cannot do anything until I have 100 points.
    Last edited by whoosh; 06-12-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Take a look bro shows me in notifications a Red Box and his name... Perhaps I missed something!
    You repped him lol.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Then I owe Whoosh an apology... My bad bro!
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Then I owe Whoosh an apology... My bad bro!
    It's all good. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    They have a 5.0 mustang with a 4.0L whipple running 8.99s at 153...
    i noticed that too, but i figured the thread was about the gt500 so i didn't mention it. also, i know i wouldn't put the amount of work it took to get that 5.0 to 8's@153+ haha. i wish i could, but i dont have that kind of money to spend on a car.

plus, to buy a car, put basic bolt-on's and go 9's@140+ is out right amazing!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Jalopnik or MT or whoever, spied the next gen Rustang with an independent rear suspension, now that would be refreshing!! That as well as a stiffer suspension with no body roll would make this mullet car absolutely amazing for the price.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12