Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by krnnerdboy Click here to enlarge
    with children yet then image would mean more and I'd have the m3 in my garage
    This used to be my main reasoning for BMW's and luxury cars in general but as I get older it isn't quite as important. It definitely is nice to show up places in a fairly expensive car.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I had a first-gen Taurus SHO back in the day. The motor was great (built by Yamaha); the rest of the car was $#@!. Electrical gremlins everywhere. Transmission was a POS. Etc, etc... That car, along with word-of-mouth stories from friends and relatives, turned me off from Ford for good.

I had a V6 Mustang as a rental last year and was fairly impressed with the way it drove... "for a rental". We had problems with Sync even on that car, and stories of Sync issues are all over the internet, as detailed above.

A friend of mine has a '12 Mustang GT with a few mild mods. The motor definitely rips, and the ride is respectable with aftermarket springs - it was very floaty with OEM setup. For all those positives, I can't get over the interior quality. Great for a track car where you are focused only on performance. Horrible otherwise. The kick in the pants is when you get out of the car by pulling the plastic door pull. Ugh.

Can't comment on long-term reliability. My friend's GT has no issues after ~10k miles.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Body and brake roll on those Mustangs is incredible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    I had a first-gen Taurus SHO back in the day. The motor was great (built by Yamaha); the rest of the car was $#@!.
    A buddy and I test drove a first generation Taurus SHO. Back in the day this thing was quite a mover, and the Yamaha motor loved to rev. If I recall correctly the SHO put out 220 HP while the current Mustang GT was at 225. I believe at about the same time (1984-1986...) you could also opt for a Mustang SVO with its turbo four banger. Fun times...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, scratch that one off the list. The main concerns were with the tranny...I still will go test drive one for kicks though Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Laloosh beats his tranny's up... (picture that in both a mechanical and sexual way Click here to enlarge ) so he can chime in on his thoughts.

but my experience with fords have been great, i put about 70k mile (90k total) on a '99 Lightning with a major beating every day, only issue was a blown trans (2 weeks after i bought it/used/ modded) but only cost $800 to rebuild up to 1000rwhp.

currently have the 03 ranger and that has a few slight issues since it has 200k+ miles (interior lights/suspension), but mechanically, fords are not that bad from my experience. This thing is running strong as hell for what it is.. just cosmetic(interior) is not what you will be used to..

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't beat my tranny up. All these tranny issue IMO are cause by straight up stupidity mixed with abuse. But I only got a couple k on mine, so far car is perfect.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    I don't beat my tranny up. All these tranny issue IMO are cause by straight up stupidity mixed with abuse. But I only got a couple k on mine, so far car is perfect.
    Although you are kinda right about the tranny's demise, I really don't think road racing and slicks are abuse, but required additions to ANY true sports car.

With stock tires, I agree you are NEVER going to hurt it.

But isn't it GREAT to be able to put on some R1's or drag slicks for a day of fun?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Slicks is not what blows them. There are users on their 4th tranny on some forums. Really? How could you possibly get 4 bad ones in a row? It's the end user.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Slicks is not what blows them. There are users on their 4th tranny on some forums. Really? How could you possibly get 4 bad ones in a row? It's the end user.
    From what my track junkies have told me, its not a question of IF it will blow, it simply is when. Atleast when you are road racing them.

I can't believe that these guys do not know how to shift, as one is a national ranked WCS driver.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Never heard of people blowing them road racing. What lets go?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Never heard of people blowing them road racing. What lets go?
    As Bret informed me that they are NOT readily rebuildable, they simply replace the whole thing.

I'll ask him this weekend, what specifically lets go.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mramg1 Click here to enlarge
    As Bret informed me that they are NOT readily rebuildable, they simply replace the whole thing.

I'll ask him this weekend, what specifically lets go.
    I don't know who Bret is but I read otherwise about rebuilding them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't know who Bret is but I read otherwise about rebuilding them.
    Since I no longer race a Mustang, Bret is a friend who races one in the World Challenge Series.

He's a real nice guy that will even hang around the track helping others. He told me on Sunday out at Beaverun, that he has had to replace his tranny many times as they are junk compared to a Tremec.

No sweat my friend, as I will ask him what gives out on him and othersClick here to enlarge

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's just hard to believe a transmission would go out from road racing. The tranny doesn't really see any load shocks like launching a 800whp car to a 1.3-4 60 and then power shifting every gear.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's just hard to believe a transmission would go out from road racing. The tranny doesn't really see any load shocks like launching a 800whp car to a 1.3-4 60 and then power shifting every gear.
    Trust me they blow as I blew up countless T-5's during the 90's in my 5.0. While road racing at Nelson Ledges, I had my tranny blow out the dreded 3rd gear coming out of the carosal and was at about 4K when it went. luckily I had a MSD rev limiter or say, by by motor.

I also trashed one at Mid ohio in 4th gear at around 4.5K

I agree with you that the instant shock of 800HP coming off the line is death, but I have had and seen MANY that let go on lower HP cars on the track

I even made a lamp out of the cluster shaft from Nelso Ledges, as I had already won the race that day, and was just out for a little more fun. Foolish meClick here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12