Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

2013 Ford Mustang GT - Looking to purchase one...

As the title reads...in the market for a new vehicle 25-35k range. Trading in a G37...it is such a piece of crap.

Anyways, moving on wards- who knows anything about the new mustangs?

What are the pros/cons ?

Short term reliability? long term?

I know the earlier 'stangs definitely did have some issues, but what about these new ones?

TIA!

p.s. the new design just looks so sick! Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    saw it in person the other day it definetly looks sick I would get one. Performance is equal or better than a e92 M3
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Pros - performance; lots of it, and it takes very well to mods which typically won't break the piggy bank if you are talking about bolt on type stuff.

Cons - I *think* there were some cylinder 8 issues being reported by some owners; I don't think this was an aftermarket tuning issue since some owners of stock cars had the problem. Some think the interior is a bit lacking in quality, the dash and guages especially, but that's a personal preference type thing.

Doubt you will find any better bang for the buck though. Loosh just got one a few months back I think and he came from a 135 if I'm not mistaken...he'd be a good one to give an opinion. Happy shoppping.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ha, thanks. I'll go test drive one in the upcoming weeks...see how that goes. It is terrible on gas, but that's expect from a 5-liter v8...but better MPG than the m3! Click here to enlarge

I do agree on the interior...not the best looking or feeling.

Yuck at cheap plastics.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't know, I'd rather have a dyed plastic piece any day than what BMW does to make their plastic look more expensive by wrapping it in cheap ass rubber/paint. Once that starts to peel it looks horrible and the plastic underneath looks even cheaper than the new mustang plastics.

I have to be real here and say ford did a good job on the new mustangs in terms of interior noise while driving. My 335i has more trim/panel noise over bumps than I experienced in the new mustang with 30k miles on the clock.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am actually getting far better mileage out of my 5.0 then my 13.5. Just did a day trip to AC and averaged 27.1 mpg for 300 miles, including a couple highway pulls and some traffic in AC.

The car in your picture is not going to be 35k, more around 40 plus

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Laloosh, what tune do you have?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    Last mustang I drove was a rental car. It definitely felt/looked cheap.

But this is bang for buck car performance wise, not luxury wise.
    Last edited by M3_WC; 04-14-2012 at 02:01 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Last mustang I drove was a rental car. It definitely felt/looked cheap.

But this is bang for buck car performance wise, not luxury wise.
    what year was it, you know? the one i had was a 2011 with 30k miles on it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    I am actually getting far better mileage out of my 5.0 then my 13.5. Just did a day trip to AC and averaged 27.1 mpg for 300 miles, including a couple highway pulls and some traffic in AC.

The car in your picture is not going to be 35k, more around 40 plus
    what do you think I can haggle down to? I was also thinking Evo X....but that 5.0 Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The interior is extremely disgusting, when I sat in the Shelby during the autoshow I was blown away that the interior was completely untouched. There is nothing but plastic everywhere and it looks cheap. No other complaints from me.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any idea if the transmission issues still exist with the 2013s?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Go for it, nice car.

Cons? It's American and cheap. Solid all around car but nothing worth showing off and basically anyone can have one.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do it, I bought the boss 302. The tranny issue was resolved in 3/12 builds and newer and the cylinder 8 failure was caused by bad tuners that are now out. The 13 models have a nice LCD in the instrument cluster. And that 5.0 never gets old. Not uncommon for 500whp with fbo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Go for it, nice car.

Cons? It's American and cheap. Solid all around car but nothing worth showing off and basically anyone can have one.
    This was probably the biggest issue for me especially coming from all bmws but you forget about it when you start the motor. Not to mention they already got 1000whp from a stock internal boss 302 and 750+ gt 5.0

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by krnnerdboy Click here to enlarge
    This was probably the biggest issue for me especially coming from all bmws but you forget about it when you start the motor. Not to mention they already got 1000whp from a stock internal boss 302 and 750+ gt 5.0
    Yep, that helps you put those issues aside somewhat.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yep, that helps you put those issues aside somewhat.
    hah! your right...I run faster than the e92 m3's at the tracks I've been to and for sure can hold my own on the freeway, but I'm always looking at the m3. IT's definitely the best all around car period. Perhaps if I wasnt married with children yet then image would mean more and I'd have the m3 in my garage...I'm just holding off until the new m3 comes and then I may jump ship...maybe Click here to enlarge Funny thing is my wife didnt believe me about buying a mustang until I brought it home, and then the mullet jokes came out from my buddies, but all who have driven my boss have quickly changed there tones

however to the OP, you can't beat the performance of the 5.0 for the money and you get over the interior fairly quick...honestly I think its more bearable than my 2011 x5. Talk about cheap interior and squeeky plastics. With only 4k mi I was already wearing some of that plasti dip off of the trim of the x5. And the the 2013 is a step up from the 12, especially my spartan BOSS

heres mine running the tiger hood from the ford racing catalog with proven aerodynamic downforce and less drag...gotta love ford racing

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by krnnerdboy; 04-20-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Someone talk to be about reliability...every time I ask someone about a ford, I hear Found On Road Dead...and they advise against it (previous Ford customers).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't own a Mustang, but I do own a 2011 F-150 FX4 so I'll chime in. I've owned the vehicle for a bit over a year, so far I've had no mechanical issues. I posted earlier about my dislike for the Mustang interior, I actually am very pleased with the interior on my truck, the fit and finish is decent and so far I've only had one annoying rattle to track down and fix.

The thing that kills me is the SYNC system...mine sucks. If you don't know, SYNC is the communication & entertainment system on board your vehicle. My SYNC system can't keep a blue tooth phone connection to save it's life, the VOLUME control buttons on my steering wheel do random things when pressed...sometimes this button changes the track on my MP3 player...sometimes this button will dial the phone for me, other times it will change my media selection from satellite radio to AM. It's random as hell and it's annoying. I've tried software updates but they're no help. My truck has remote start, sometimes I use this to cool the truck cab down a bit if it's a hot day...if I use remote start, I can forget about the audio system working properly...if it actually decides to work at all after remote starting it.

At times the vehicle also has some electric gremlins. Every now and then when you go to raise or lower the windows...nothing....you just have to wait until the truck is good and ready before it will do anything.

I actually like my truck; but these things leave a bad taste in your mouth when you fork out all this money for a new vehicle and the dealership can't find/fix your issues.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^Thanks for chiming in. I'm actually afraid of that =/ I've never owned an american car and don't really know what to expect. I've thought about the camaro and the challenger, but not really a fan.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you have owned a bimmer or a Benz you have nothing to worry about. My f250 somewhat had some issues such as the windows not going operating until theyre ready(1 min) but they work everytime. My x5 dash lights would go out every so often and turn back on when it was ready and my z4m would go in to limp mode for unknown reasons until I pulled the battery to reset it.
    havent had any issues with the mustang yet. Those acronyms are just stereotypes and started by the Bowtie rivalry.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Btw my worst experience yet was my fx35. I purchased it with sport package only to realize 2 years later that they forgot to install the sport suspension from the factory. They offered me$500 to compensate...I paid 2500 for that option.... The dash was bubbling like it had boils everywhere, my passenger side handle snapped off, central locks stopped working, rear hatch wouldn't open, tach needle would jump around and there was no real fix for that. The worst exPerience was at my dealership when their porter crashed my car while trying to get those issues resolved under warranty.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    Any idea if the transmission issues still exist with the 2013s?
    YES, I just came from Beaverun this past weekend, and SEVERAL Mustang owners were complaining about the piece of $#@! made in China 6 spped. Plus side, they had them replaced for free, down side, they do break.

Side note, after warrenty just buy a Tremec TKO and be done with it.

Note: This was coming from a world challange driver that has a boss 302RR

If you go the Ford web site you will see that ONLY the GT500 gets the Tremec stock.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've heard about some transmission problems on the manual cars. I assume its fixed by now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fieldysnuts8 Click here to enlarge
    I've heard about some transmission problems on the manual cars. I assume its fixed by now.
    That my friend would not be a good assumption.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast