Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

MKIII Jetta Build: Boost and E85

I figured a nice way to start the first thread in the Jetta section would be a build. So it begins. Kind of a birthday present to myself since my birthday is in a few days I'm doing something I've been wanting to do for some time now. I've been wanting to acquire a car for a while that I could be build up, beat, and basically not car too much about. This is going to be a slow process as I am a college student and the budget is tight. I also prefer to things the way I want it the first time, so I would rather take longer to put it together.

The car is a Black 1997 Jetta TDI. I acquired the car from a really good friend of mine for $300. He was the original owner, and put 311,000 miles on it. He took it apart for a rebuild like 4 years ago, had some life issues pop up, and just kind never finished putting it together since at that point it wasn't his DD anymore. The paint is still good with the exception of the roof. Currently the car has no motor, no transmission, and no front bumper and headlights. It already has upgraded springs and shocks, I think tokico, and comes with bilsteins and H&R springs in the trunk. Also comes with a G60 transmission, although I don't know if I going to use it. I know I could easily by a running one for the same of less than what this is all going to cost me, but then I'm just going to have a stock car. Essentially, I should be able to have everything upgraded for a round the same amount of money.

The plan as of now is doing an ABA Turbo. Essentially a 8 valve block, with a 16v head. Starting goal is 400whp, and going up from there. EMS will be a megasquirt 1. I haven't decided which transmission I want to use yet. I'd love to reuse the TDi tranny, but it needs a new 1st gear synchro. So it depends how much it is to replace the synchro. I just loved those gears on my friend's turbo cabby.

So as of now, not much has started yet. Today, I spend an hour decreasing the engine bay. The TDI short block is in it still. so I will be removing it this week. I also have to remove all my buddy's stuff from the car. I don't have a lot of time this week, but I hope to have the car cleaned up and at my house this weekend.

And some pics of the fine vehicle, and my buddy's turbo MKI Rabbit in the background.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    First of all, thanks for contributing a VW thread. Want to get VW Boost rolling so thanks Click here to enlarge

Now I'm trying to understand what motor is in this. My VW knowledge sucks so time to start working on it.

So 8 valve block means this motor is what?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No Problem, I'm only posting it here so hopefully it brings some traffic.

Originally, there was a 1.9 TDI in it. What I'm going to do is put a 9A (16v 1.8) head on an ABA (8v 2.0) short block. It's makes the compression around 8.1:1. The ABA bottom end is all forged. There are many different variations of 2L motors in VW family, this is just the combo of win for boost. Basically any MKIII and older 4 cylinder head can go to any 4 cylinder block, so it allows for a lot of different combos. My buddy that has the turbo mk1 is doing an all motor setup on his MKII GTI and using stock parts is able to achieve a compression ratio higher than 13:1.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What engine section should I add to accommodate this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A general 2.0L section would be the easiest. Separate from the 2.0fsi and tsi section of course.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    A general 2.0L section would be the easiest. Separate from the 2.0fsi and tsi section of course.
    What terminology do the VW guys use for these motors? Should I just call it 8V/16V?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What terminology do the VW guys use for these motors? Should I just call it 8V/16V?
    Easiest way,

General 2.0L: Due to the abundance of hybrid setups like I'm doing, and many factory variations.

8v: Since there are many 8v motors from 2.0L and below from the factory.

16v: There are also a few different variations of these from the factory.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So I just call it 2.0L ?

They are all the same displacement?

People with TSI / FSI etc will go in their sections.

When was this motor produced?

How do you think the engine section should be set up anyway? What do you think of how it looks now?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So I just call it 2.0L ?

They are all the same displacement?

People with TSI / FSI etc will go in their sections.

When was this motor produced?

How do you think the engine section should be set up anyway? What do you think of how it looks now?
    I was recommending three separate subforums. These motors were produced from I think 1979 until like 2003. They actually just cam back out with the same 8v 2.0l for the mkVI. Checkout VWvortex, and you will get a better Idea of what I'm saying.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was recommending three separate subforums. These motors were produced from I think 1979 until like 2003. They actually just cam back out with the same 8v 2.0l for the mkVI. Checkout VWvortex, and you will get a better Idea of what I'm saying.
    I'll check it out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just wanted to correct myself, I stated the 9a was a 1.8 16v. The 9a is actually a 2.0 16v. The head I want is from the PL. The PL is a 1.8 16v. It is slightly less restrictive than the 9a head. Hopefully on Friday I can pick up a complete PL and ABA block from a local shop. I've also decided that I will be using the G60 transmission.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just wanted to correct myself, I stated the 9a was a 1.8 16v. The 9a is actually a 2.0 16v. The head I want is from the PL. The PL is a 1.8 16v. It is slightly less restrictive than the 9a head. Hopefully on Friday I can pick up a complete PL and ABA block from a local shop. I've also decided that I will be using the G60 transmission.
    Makes sense.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

As of Sunday night, the Jetta is officially living in my garage thanks to @All Motor. Luckily, I live pretty close to my friends house that we towed it from. The car basically has no brakes, and the engine was dragging on road and caused a lot of sparks. We made it safely, and didn't lose too many parts on the way.

Click here to enlarge

Tonight I was able to get a few things done. I removed the old TDi engine, removed the engine harness, removed the A/c lines and condenser, removed the coolant hoses from the fire wall for the heater core, removed the power steering pump and half of the lines, removed the factory ecu, removed the old boost gauge, and removed the old boost control setup. Not bad for 2 hours of work. Tomorrow might be the day I go find an engine. Just depends how much hw I get done in the morning.

Lifting old Motor out
    Click here to enlarge

Couldn't resist this photo op
    Click here to enlarge

getting rid of power steering
    Click here to enlarge

An empty Engine Bay
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As of Sunday night, the Jetta is officially living in my garage thanks to @All Motor . Luckily, I live pretty close to my friends house that we towed it from. The car basically has no brakes, and the engine was dragging on road and caused a lot of sparks. We made it safely, and didn't lose too many parts on the way.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...ject/photo.jpg

Tonight I was able to get a few things done. I removed the old TDi engine, removed the engine harness, removed the A/c lines and condenser, removed the coolant hoses from the fire wall for the heater core, removed the power steering pump and half of the lines, removed the factory ecu, removed the old boost gauge, and removed the old boost control setup. Not bad for 2 hours of work. Tomorrow might be the day I go find an engine. Just depends how much hw I get done in the morning.

Lifting old Motor out
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/IMAG0709.jpg

Couldn't resist this photo op
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/IMAG0710.jpg

getting rid of power steering
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/IMAG0711.jpg

An empty Engine Bay
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/IMAG0712.jpg
    How does it feel to have the first official VW Boost build?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

How does it feel to have the first official VW Boost build?
    It feels like we need more members lol. My friend should be signing up to share his MKII GTi N/A build, and maybe I can convince him to recap his MKI Rabbit turbo build.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It feels like we need more members lol. My friend should be signing up to share his MKII GTi N/A build, and maybe I can convince him to recap his MKI Rabbit turbo build.
    Quoted for truth.

That would be great. Have him put you as a referral and watch your rep go up significantly...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wish this was started before my gti was totaled. I would have had more to contribute to this... Maybe I can wrap up a build and summary on my car in the TSI section or some $#@!..
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice build, how much boost do you need for ~400hp?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blaizon Click here to enlarge
    A built motor, with some injectors and a big turbo with some fine tuning lol.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Hey look at that awesome truck lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blaizon Click here to enlarge
    If I run a precision 6765 like I'm planning, at 20psi I should be well into the 400's. I've seen 410whp on 93 octane pump gas with a 6262.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    A built motor, with some injectors and a big turbo with some fine tuning lol.
    Built motor not needed. I've seen ABA's make over 500whp with just head studs on pump gas.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Pulled off a PL 16v head today. Going to cleaning it up this weekend. Also ordering some parts tonight. Next weekend it should be time to put the motor and tranny in.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice! I didn't know that bottom end was that stout in stock form...good to know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Where in south Florida are you? I'm not boosted or in a VW but car people are always cool to know

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm in Boynton Beach, you?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast