Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

CHP pays out $2.3 million to family of girl who ran her father's Porsche into a toll booth at 100+ mph

This a very sad and unfortunate situation but the worst part of it is that taxpayers are literally paying millions of dollars for it. Nicole Catsouras took her father's Porsche 911 for a joyride in 2006 and ran into a toll booth at over 100 mph after clipping another car killing herself. Fortunately she did not injure anyone else seriously. The CHP took photos of the crash and these photos leaked out onto the internet. The family sued and was awarded a $2.3 million settlement.

Now, what if Nicole had killed some innocent bystanders instead of herself? Would the family be paying out millions of dollars? Did the family pay for the damage caused by the car to surrounding property? Why exactly should anyone be rewarded for an unfortunate accident that was caused by a girl who lost control of a sports car she took for a joyride let alone the family of said girl?

"No amount of money can compensate for the pain the Catsouras family has suffered," CHP spokeswoman Fran Clader said in a statement. "We have reached a resolution with the family to save substantial costs of continued litigation and a jury trial. It is our hope that with this legal issue resolved, the Catsouras family can receive some closure."

Source

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So the family got 2.3millions just because these pictures were "leaked" on the internet? Damn that's crazy. Pictures like these are published in newspapers here all the time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    So the family got 2.3millions just because these pictures were "leaked" on the internet? Damn that's crazy. Pictures like these are published in newspapers here all the time.
    I wouldn't want pictures like that of my family member up but if that was truly their concern why sue the CHP? Go after the sites hosting them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    These aren't all the pictures. I've seen them, it's sickening. She was literally pancaked, all the guts and her smashed face everywhere.

But still, for them to win $2.3 MILLION because their daughter was being a dumbass and killed herself on accident and put other people in danger IS RETARDED.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn, googling her name provides 38200 results...didn't know this tragedy was so widely spread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    These aren't all the pictures. I've seen them, it's sickening. She was literally pancaked, all the guts and her smashed face everywhere.

But still, for them to win $2.3 MILLION because their daughter was being a dumbass and killed herself on accident and put other people in danger IS RETARDED.
    Repped for the truth.
    Yeah I remember when this happened and the pictures were REALLY gruesome. IIRC the photos that were leaked were taken at night when it the accident occurred....
    Anyway....it just amazes me that someone with law enforcement could let something like this leak to the public - I mean who was the actual idiot who first uploaded them ?? Why not sue that dip$#@! ??? Now not only do we have to pay because some dip$#@! who works for the state uploaded the photos...but we also have to pay because some dumbass chick killed herself ???? Our legal system is so $#@!ed it's unbelievable.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Toll booths popping out of nowhere these days.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Toll booths popping out of nowhere these days.
    LOL!!!!!!!
    Yeah, those moving toll booths can be pretty dangerous.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I feel sad she killed herself but it could have happened to any one of us. Maybe not to that degree as who flies through a toll at 100+ but we have all done stupid stuff on public roads and if we hit another car it could be just as bad.

Still, I do not get why this results in a couple million being paid out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    im sure the family went through a lot of pain, but foremost their daughter did something stupid and they get paid millions for it?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yukohama Click here to enlarge
    im sure the family went through a lot of pain, but foremost their daughter did something stupid and they get paid millions for it?
    It's a really $#@!ty situation.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's a really $#@!ty situation.
    it truly is. The loss of life is never a good situation, but then the pictures being leaked out made for an even bigger mess. what a mess...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    WTF do I dont understand here, the DUMB BIMBo was stupid to go thru a TOLL booth at 100mph, HELLO!!!! I do not feel sorry whatsover but MAD because my tax dollars are paying for it, they should of SUED the person who put the info out, The photos should be made public to EDUCATE youngsters w/o the gruesome contents. even though a life was lost to STUPIDITY it does not mean I should feel for her, Sory amigos thats my perspective!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d Click here to enlarge
    WTF do I dont understand here, the DUMB BIMBo was stupid to go thru a TOLL booth at 100mph, HELLO!!!! I do not feel sorry whatsover but MAD because my tax dollars are paying for it, they should of SUED the person who put the info out, The photos should be made public to EDUCATE youngsters w/o the gruesome contents. even though a life was lost to STUPIDITY it does not mean I should feel for her, Sory amigos thats my perspective!!
    It's a $#@!ty situation, I agree. You know, it was the parents' fault who let the teenager go out with a car that they knew she couldn't handle. Now they are given money? excuse me but for what? it was their fault that the girl died in first place, it was their fault that her face was smacked. They can't stand the pictures of her daughter body? They are just fooling themselves by blaming others, the only people to blame are themselves, not the girl, not the photographer and not anybody else.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    With that being said, i feel terrible for her family. I was a child when my brother passed away, but i have some images of my parents conditions in those times. Took many years for them to even act like they forgot it though they never do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Estoy Contigo @Sorena (Im with you)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    For those looking for more information, check it out here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikki_C...hs_controversy

It explains in better detail the situation which makes it a little easier to see how the family was awarded the settlement. There was definitive wrongdoing by the officers involved. The fallout from the photos being leaked was pretty big and the family suffered a great deal of taunting and harrasment as a result.

What's $2.3 million dollars in this situation? There are no winners here.
    Current: C63 Coupe: Polar White/Classic Red, P31, H&R, Mode Carbon, RevoZport, Renn Motorsport
    SOLD: B8 S4 Sprint Blue Pearl, DSG, Stasis everything.
    SOLD Eurocharged C63: ARKYM, Forgestar, K&N, Revozport, Custom Rear Lip

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    It's a $#@!ty situation, I agree. You know, it was the parents' fault who let the teenager go out with a car that they knew she couldn't handle. Now they are given money? excuse me but for what? it was their fault that the girl died in first place, it was their fault that her face was smacked. They can't stand the pictures of her daughter body? They are just fooling themselves by blaming others, the only people to blame are themselves, not the girl, not the photographer and not anybody else.
    I think they said the daughter actually took the car out without permission.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    I think they said the daughter actually took the car out without permission.
    Well, that's something to consider.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BK63AMG Click here to enlarge
    The fallout from the photos being leaked was pretty big and the family suffered a great deal of taunting and harrasment as a result.
    That is worth $2.3 million?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Apparently the judge in the case thought so. I'm sure they didn't just pull some random amount of the sky - there is precedent in cases like this and I'm sure the familiy lawyers and CHP that into account before settling.

Imagine if this was your daughter or sister and people started emailing you those horrific photos with the subject line saying "Hey Dad, I'm still alive"...nevermind the malicious facebook/myspace pages that surfaced with those same photos published for the world to gawk at and comment on...

I don't see it as the family is cashing in on their daughter's death. The settlement is a reflection of the officers/departments liability in leaking what should have been confidential and highly sensitive (that's putting it lightly) photos. The resulting pain and trauma was real and the CHP must be held accountable.
    Current: C63 Coupe: Polar White/Classic Red, P31, H&R, Mode Carbon, RevoZport, Renn Motorsport
    SOLD: B8 S4 Sprint Blue Pearl, DSG, Stasis everything.
    SOLD Eurocharged C63: ARKYM, Forgestar, K&N, Revozport, Custom Rear Lip

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Apparently the judge in the case thought so. I'm sure they didn't just pull some random amount of the sky - there is precedent in cases like this and I'm sure the familiy lawyers and CHP that into account before settling.

Imagine if this was your daughter or sister and people started emailing you those horrific photos with the subject line saying "Hey Dad, I'm still alive"...nevermind the malicious facebook/myspace pages that surfaced with those same photos published for the world to gawk at and comment on...

I don't see it as the family is cashing in on their daughter's death. The settlement is a reflection of the officers/departments liability in leaking what should have been confidential and highly sensitive (that's putting it lightly) photos. The resulting pain and trauma was real and the CHP must be held accountable.
    I agree 100%

As a doctor, I've grown to detest the idea of settlements stemming from sympathy and the unnecessary litigation that otherwise occurs. However, in this case, I think the settlement was far too low.

I've kept abreast of this story since it started and I've seen all the photos and some of the facebook pages.

Not even an animal would send photos of a daughter's mangled body and white matter sitting on the pavement to a grieving parent. These parents didn't initially go out looking for these photos - they were sent (via a variety of media) maliciously by others to them as they were grieving. Not only the parents were targeted: these scum even contemplated targeting the younger sibling of this dead girl.

The bottom line is that this girl's parents suffered immeasurably (from psychological trauma and having to remove their other daughter from school).
    In hindsight, nobody is suggesting that CHP forwarded these photos and directed the scumbags to do what they ultimately did.
    However, the fact remains that CHP were (are) ultimately responsible for causing a whole lotta hurt because they $#@!ed up. End of.

I believe that if this case was put in front of a jury, the parents would have been awarded a much bigger sum of money (especially if the photos that were sent to the parents maliciously) were admitted in court.

The more heartbreaking aspect to this case is that the father and daughter had a huge argument immediately preceding her jumping in the porsche and speeding off.
    Imagine that: the father's last words with his daughter were something along the lines of 'I hate you Dad'.

Absolutely tragic.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is why women should not be allowed to drive.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The sum is far too high. The settlement should be low 6 figures minus the damages incurred by the dead driver. Why? Companies and hospitals who are directly responsible for many deaths of people year round settle for far less. Mind you these are the people who pretty much "kill" other people for not doing their job correctly. Such "accidents" are then settled for far far less than $2.3 million. The CHP was not directly or indirectly responsible for her death. Parents should've raised the kid better, educated her better. But hey now they can get Porsches for the whole family.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

100% correct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast