Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,156.3
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No

    Car and Driver compares the Z06 and GTR to the new 911 Carrera S w/ PDK - 991 S with PDK runs 12.0@118

    This is a comparison that with the previous generation 997 Carrera S people would laugh at having. Well, the new 991 Carrera S has raised the bar considerably. We knew the PDK version would be faster than the manual but we were not expecting 118 traps out of the box and almost a full second improvement (and 5 MPH) in the 1/4 on the manual version. That makes the 991 Carrera S with PDK just as fast as a 997 GT3 despite having less horsepower and more weight, impressive.

    Car and Driver picks the Carrera S over both the 2013 GTR and the C6 Z06. Those two vehicles have more power and are faster but Car and Driver felt the Carrera S was the best overall sports car out of the group. They stated it was the easiest to live with and offered the best mileage. Although we are of the opinion that these are sports cars and a premium should be put on performance not mileage or the comfort of the seats. Regardless, the new 991 is very impressive.

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Encino,CA
    Posts
    8,040
    Rep Points
    5,733.7
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    58


    Yes Reputation No
    holy crap 130k for a Carrera... And still the z06 rapes, look at those numbers!
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,156.3
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    holy crap 130k for a Carrera... And still the z06 rapes, look at those numbers!
    $130k for a Carrera S is getting out of control.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,230
    Rep Points
    502.1
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    $130k for a Carrera S is getting out of control.
    Another reason to save up for a CGT Click here to enlarge

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    994
    Rep Points
    938.4
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    $25,000 in options? $#@!!

    Can someone explain to me 5-60 times would be slower than 0-60?
    ​#Chuckstrong

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,156.3
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    $25,000 in options? $#@!!

    Can someone explain to me 5-60 times would be slower than 0-60?
    Yes. In 5-60 it is a rolling start. You can't rev up and launch. So, it tests the elasticity of the motor essentially. It also is a test where turbo lag will rear its head.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    994
    Rep Points
    938.4
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yes. In 5-60 it is a rolling start. You can't rev up and launch. So, it tests the elasticity of the motor essentially. It also is a test where turbo lag will rear its head.
    Thank you
    ​#Chuckstrong

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,230
    Rep Points
    502.1
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Porsche is notorious for being able to option just about everything you can imagine...leather covered air vents...stupid crap like that. However, I'm willing to bet the car tested was just loaded and didn't have a bunch of custom options. Which is again, pretty lame. I can't believe the S version is that much. So what - the Turbo is gonna be over 200k ???

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    994
    Rep Points
    938.4
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    Porsche is notorious for being able to option just about everything you can imagine...leather covered air vents...stupid crap like that. However, I'm willing to bet the car tested was just loaded and didn't have a bunch of custom options. Which is again, pretty lame. I can't believe the S version is that much. So what - the Turbo is gonna be over 200k ???
    Hardly any worse than a 100k+ M5. Wait until we see the price of the new M3! Click here to enlarge
    ​#Chuckstrong

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,156.3
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    Porsche is notorious for being able to option just about everything you can imagine...leather covered air vents...stupid crap like that. However, I'm willing to bet the car tested was just loaded and didn't have a bunch of custom options. Which is again, pretty lame. I can't believe the S version is that much. So what - the Turbo is gonna be over 200k ???
    Porsche definitely has the best options out of anyone but they do go overboard on the pricing. I prefer to have the options than not have them though.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Points
    936.0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    man is the price going up... incredible machine already, cant wait for faster variants
    Click here to enlarge

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    967
    Rep Points
    1,459.5
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    That 991 must be optioned out fairly well! Fortunately, I am the type that doesn't really want any options, haha. Nice performance numbers for a car that is substantially down in power compared to the other two.

    I hope the 991 GT3RS won't be outrageously priced! That might be the car to bring me to the dark side from ///M...
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,590
    Rep Points
    2,018.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Yes Reputation No
    This car is simply amazing... I would love to own this car - but it's just insanely expensive... At this price point, I would have a hard time with "for 'only' another 90k, I can get a 458 Italia"... I guess that's nearly double the price - but still... For a non turbo, I think they should drop the price a bit to compare with the M series.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    HG Motorsports
    Posts
    389
    Rep Points
    512.8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    If you think you need all these options on the Porsche, what makes you think you'd be satisfied by a base model 458? They're just as bad about charging you thousands upon thousands for silly options.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,156.3
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    This car is simply amazing... I would love to own this car - but it's just insanely expensive... At this price point, I would have a hard time with "for 'only' another 90k, I can get a 458 Italia"... I guess that's nearly double the price - but still... For a non turbo, I think they should drop the price a bit to compare with the M series.
    It's tough to stomach when the 997 turbo can be purchased for less.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,156.3
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    If you think you need all these options on the Porsche, what makes you think you'd be satisfied by a base model 458? They're just as bad about charging you thousands upon thousands for silly options.
    Ferrari doesn't gouge as bad as Porsche or offer as many options. For the 458, you are mostly paying for the prancing horse which is fine as that is the idea anyway.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,590
    Rep Points
    2,018.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's tough to stomach when the 997 turbo can be purchased for less.
    Yeah, this is true. I have always loved the 997 turbo too.

    On another note, I just got the latest Road & Track - they had a special on the 2013 991 911 and their results were the best I have seen (I think?)

    0-60 - 3.5s
    0-100 - 8.4s
    1/4 mile - 11.8s @118.4

    Weight with PDK = 3,120 lb. (old PDK car was +88 lb.)
    Weight w/o PDK = 3,032 lb. (old car was +176 lb.)

    One of the more interesting data points was that it got an estimated average of 20 mpg DURING the course of their stay with the 911. Pretty good stuff for 400 horses. Guessing it's that German engineering mixed with a little bit of DI?

    Cheers.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,156.3
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    On another note, I just got the latest Road & Track - they had a special on the 2013 991 911 and their results were the best I have seen (I think?)

    0-60 - 3.5s
    0-100 - 8.4s
    1/4 mile - 11.8s @118.4
    I got that issue too and the test was going to be the lead PorscheBoost story tomorrow.

    Where did you find the trap?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,156.3
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    One of the more interesting data points was that it got an estimated average of 20 mpg DURING the course of their stay with the 911. Pretty good stuff for 400 horses. Guessing it's that German engineering mixed with a little bit of DI?
    7 speed, light weight, and direct injection.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,590
    Rep Points
    2,018.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I got that issue too and the test was going to be the lead PorscheBoost story tomorrow.

    Where did you find the trap?
    It's on the last page - underneath the technical drawing... It's one of the yellow and black circles, 2nd from the left.

    Did you see the Nurburgring time they claimed? 7:40? This car is pretty capable - but pricey. Click here to enlarge

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,156.3
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    It's on the last page - underneath the technical drawing... It's one of the yellow and black circles, 2nd from the left.

    Did you see the Nurburgring time they claimed? 7:40? This car is pretty capable - but pricey. Click here to enlarge
    I might be crazy as I don't see it! I am looking right under the technical drawing and see the 5 circles. The second one only has the ET, no trap.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Did you see the Nurburgring time they claimed? 7:40?
    Yep Click here to enlarge http://www.porscheboost.com/showthre...ncredible-7-40

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,156.3
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    It's on the last page - underneath the technical drawing... It's one of the yellow and black circles, 2nd from the left.

    Did you see the Nurburgring time they claimed? 7:40? This car is pretty capable - but pricey. Click here to enlarge
    I found it, it's the yellow performance circle to the right under 1/4 mile mph. Why they don't list it with the ET is idiotic in my mind but at least they have it on their data panel unlike Car and Driver.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,590
    Rep Points
    2,018.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Yes Reputation No
    I hear ya... They redesigned it for a "modern" factor, but it's literally unreadable - especially after reading this magazine for so long...

    Sorry about the mistake - the 11.8 read 118 when I looked.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,483
    Rep Points
    32,156.3
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    I hear ya... They redesigned it for a "modern" factor, but it's literally unreadable - especially after reading this magazine for so long...

    Sorry about the mistake - the 11.8 read 118 when I looked.
    No worries, I'm just glad I finally found it.

    Wish they didn't redesign it.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,923
    Rep Points
    1,825.9
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Yes Reputation No
    IMO the Z06 is the top choice from the above list. It just rapes everything...........and with a MT lmao........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •