Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Motortrend tests the Porsche Panamera Turbo S - Runs the 1/4 mile in 11.8@118

The Panamera Turbo is a great sedan. Difficult to improve on but Porsche has managed to do exactly that with the Panamera Turbo S. It has another 50 horsepower over the standard turbo as well as another 74 pound-feet of torque in overboost mode. This extra power coming from larger turbochargers with titanium wheels that Porsche says spool faster. Maximum boost pressure is 13.5 psi for the S versus 12.1 for the standard turbo. This results in an 11.8@118 in the 1/4 mile with 0-60 in 3.5 seconds.

Fast? Yes, very fast. Also very expensive. The Panamera Turbo S starts at $174,000 and the as tested price was an eye opening $194,665. Worth it? In our opinion, no way, not even close. A standard turbo with a tune can easily do what the Turbo S does and a pair of upgraded turbos will allow it do a whole lot more for a whole lot less money. Let's be honest, most people buy the S for the extra horsepower. Well, there is much more horsepower available in the aftermarket. Save your cash, tune a turbo, and buy yourself an S badge if it means that much to you.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That is quick for sure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    That is quick for sure.
    Only a slight improvement on the standard Turbo though that has run 11's stock.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A guy that wants the most powerful Panamera is just going to pull the trigger and get an S. He may not, have time or care about the tuning aspect of the Turbo. The Turbo S is a monster. Yes it is very expensive, and very fast.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The Panamera Turbo is a great sedan. Difficult to improve on but Porsche has managed to do exactly that with the Panamera Turbo S. It has another 50 horsepower over the standard turbo as well as another 74 pound-feet of torque in overboost mode. This extra power coming from larger turbochargers with titanium wheels that Porsche says spool faster. Maximum boost pressure is 13.5 psi for the S versus 12.1 for the standard turbo. This results in an 11.8@118 in the 1/4 mile with 0-60 in 3.5 seconds.

Fast? Yes, very fast. Also very expensive. The Panamera Turbo S starts at $174,000 and the as tested price was an eye opening $194,665. Worth it? In our opinion, no way, not even close. A standard turbo with a tune can easily do what the Turbo S does and a pair of upgraded turbos will allow it do a whole lot more for a whole lot less money. Let's be honest, most people buy the S for the extra horsepower. Well, there is much more horsepower available in the aftermarket. Save your cash, tune a turbo, and buy yourself an S badge if it means that much to you.
    Hey come on now your not suggesting being a poser are you ??!!! Click here to enlarge

The performance numbers do not lie and that it very quick but I still haven't been able to get my head around the design of this car and think that even the non turbo cars are WAY overpriced.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Considering the 997.2TTS w/ PDK runs around one-second quicker and 10 mph faster, stock for stock, I'd say the 1/4 mile results for the Panamera Turbo S are actually somewhat disappointing.

Yeah, I get that they're not the same, and the Panamera weighs more... but I would've expected the results to be closer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge
    Considering the 997.2TTS w/ PDK runs around one-second quicker and 10 mph faster, stock for stock, I'd say the 1/4 mile results for the Panamera Turbo S are actually somewhat disappointing.

Yeah, I get that they're not the same, and the Panamera weighs more... but I would've expected the results to be closer.
    The Panamera weighs ALOT more. A buddy of mine has the 997.2tt w PDK and it's stupid fast in stock form. He ran the Mojave mile with it, take a look.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by deemo319 Click here to enlarge
    He may not, have time or care about the tuning aspect of the Turbo.
    Ignorance. Yes, people with too much money to burn won't care.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    Hey come on now your not suggesting being a poser are you ??!!!
    A poser can't back it up Click here to enlarge

I just think $200k for this is insane.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge
    Did you forget the 43xx pound curb weight and that one is a sedan/hatchback?

We are talking 11's stock, that is not bad at all. I would like a little more out of the Turbo S though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Did you forget the 43xx pound curb weight and that one is a sedan/hatchback?

We are talking 11's stock, that is not bad at all. I would like a little more out of the Turbo S though.
    Exactly. And if the Panamera had 4 passangers, luggage and a full tank of fuel it would weigh over a THOUSAND pounds more than a Turbo S 997.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    Exactly. And if the Panamera had 4 passangers, luggage and a full tank of fuel it would weigh over a THOUSAND pounds more than a Turbo S 997.
    Curb weight vs. curb weight is ALREADY a 1,000lb difference. (900lbs to be exact)

Porsche's website lists the 911 Turbo S at 3,494lbs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    Curb weight vs. curb weight is ALREADY a 1,000lb difference. (900lbs to be exact)

Porsche's website lists the 911 Turbo S at 3,494lbs.
    Yep, it's a big difference between the two.