Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Question SL55 AMG Aftermarket Suspension alternatives

Guys

What alternatives do SL55 R230 owners have suspension wise? If your oem suspension breaks down on you and you want to go coilovers without errors on the dash whats the best solution.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I haven't really seen anyone remove the ABC for a coil-over setup. I don't know if there are any options.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thats weird that no one has developed a coilover package for this car yet.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Thats weird that no one has developed a coilover package for this car yet.
    It's because you would have to disable the air suspension.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's because you would have to disable the air suspension.
    Yeah I agree, But there must be some solution. Any one know a good hook up for OEM MERC parts online like Tischer for BMW?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Yeah I agree, But there must be some solution. Any one know a good hook up for OEM MERC parts online like Tischer for BMW?
    We'll see what others have to say, sorry I could not be of more help.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We'll see what others have to say, sorry I could not be of more help.
    No probs bro but I find it really funny no one ever approached this car to make coilovers for it and disable ABC
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No probs bro but I find it really funny no one ever approached this car to make coilovers for it and disable ABC
    Goes to show the target market as well as possibly how complicated that is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    BUMP

Hey Guys

Need some help. My Cuz's SL55's Air suspension is leaking again and this is getting really tiring to replace again and again as it keeps breaking down.

is there any way to replace the OEM air suspension with coilovers and program the car or bypass the sensors so it doesnt give us an air ride failure error?

The OEM Hydraulic suspension is a pain and has got to go.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    BUMP

Hey Guys

Need some help. My Cuz's SL55's Air suspension is leaking again and this is getting really tiring to replace again and again as it keeps breaking down.

is there any way to replace the OEM air suspension with coilovers and program the car or bypass the sensors so it doesnt give us an air ride failure error?

The OEM Hydraulic suspension is a pain and has got to go.
    I agree with this as well have had to replace the air suspension components several times, pain the ass and expensive.

Haven't seen anyone use any bypass though...

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I know your request if for get away from OEM equipment but this may be something to look into. I used these guys to replace air shocks for my last Jaguar XJR. I never had an issue with them and they give a lifetime warranty. My local Jag dealer wanted $1500 a shock plus $300 labor per corner LOL..

I ended up paying around $500 per corner using these shocks from Arnott.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...18_pid151.html
    09' M3 AA Gen 2 Level 2 S/C
    03' Viper Roadster- FBO
    10' X5M
    09' Cayenne GTS
    11' Jaguar XFR
    08' CLS63 AMG
    08' EVO X GSR- FBO
    13' F10 550i M Sport

Past:
    07' C6 Z06
    11' M3 Comp DCT
    10' C63 AMG
    10' SVT Raptor 6.2
    12' BOSS 302
    11' E92 335i
    09' C63 AMG -
    01' C5 Z06- White, FBO+Cam
    11' E92 335is- Sapp Blk
    08' E82 135i- Sapphire Blk
    10' Audi S5 6-Speed
    04' SVT Lightning
    08' E90 335i 6-Speed- Blk
    08' C63 AMG- Blk
    09' CTS-V Sedan- Blk Raven
    06' E60 M5 SMG
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TZ04XJR Click here to enlarge
    I know your request if for get away from OEM equipment but this may be something to look into. I used these guys to replace air shocks for my last Jaguar XJR. I never had an issue with them and they give a lifetime warranty. My local Jag dealer wanted $1500 a shock plus $300 labor per corner LOL..

Very nice suggestion... but says for SL55 and SL65 only.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Awesome. Thanks I'll check them out.
    Very nice suggestion... but says for SL55 and SL65 only.
    Yeah we need it for the SL55 Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah we need it for the SL55
    I know but it is just a re-manufactured OEM setup it still isn't ditching the air suspension.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know but it is just a re-manufactured OEM setup it still isn't ditching the air suspension.
    Oh Ok i gothca, The thing about this one is that they have Poly seals etc which might solve the problem of the suspension leaking and breaking down every two years.

As there is no other solution this looks good.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh Ok i gothca, The thing about this one is that they have Poly seals etc which might solve the problem of them the suspension leaking and breaking down every two years.

As there is no other solution this looks good.
    True, good point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Have had the car since 2004 and since day one, the right front side is always dropping. I've replaced the right front ABC shocks twice and the left front once. And I've paid more than 4000 dinars (almost $15,000) just fixing those parts. A couple of days ago I started to notice that the rear is now dropping once I stop the car.

Its getting annoying and actually a funny sight to see, car completely tilted, and since I've already dropped the car by almost 35mm from all sides, the car looks like its hitting the ground now once the ABCs settle and all the air escapes. The way Mercedes Benz have manufactured the ABC shocks, makes the customer not trust the cars handling. I mean the car handles perfectly for an almost 9 year old car, handles very close to our 575 Maranello with the car on ABC mode on, but yet I still dont trust the car, weird imagination turning at 140km on the track and watching the ABC shocks break into pieces, Final Destination $h!t

Just had a talk with @0-60Motorsports he'll do his magic and most probably will order all four shocks for each side.

Thanks @TZ04XJR for the tip! Finally getting something for the suspension.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SL55K Click here to enlarge
    Have had the car since 2004 and since day one, the right front side is always dropping. I've replaced the right front ABC shocks twice and the left front once. And I've paid more than 4000 dinars (almost $15,000) just fixing those parts. A couple of days ago I started to notice that the rear is now dropping once I stop the car.

Its getting annoying and actually a funny sight to see, car completely tilted, and since I've already dropped the car by almost 35mm from all sides, the car looks like its hitting the ground now once the ABCs settle and all the air escapes. The way Mercedes Benz have manufactured the ABC shocks, makes the customer not trust the cars handling. I mean the car handles perfectly for an almost 9 year old car, handles very close to our 575 Maranello with the car on ABC mode on, but yet I still dont trust the car, weird imagination turning at 140km on the track and watching the ABC shocks break into pieces, Final Destination $h!t

Just had a talk with @0-60Motorsports he'll do his magic and most probably will order all four shocks for each side.

Thanks @TZ04XJR for the tip! Finally getting something for the suspension.
    Well Hopefully it wont fail to that extent but I know what your saying. I'll speak to them today and we'll see what they say. They look like they make a solid product.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'm glad I could help.. As far as I recall, they construct the shocks from higher grade materials as they must to offer such a warranty. Good luck if you decide to go that route.

Some pics of my XJR before and after the front shocks were replaced.. I have to admit, it looked pretty mean with it lowered. Haha

-TZ
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    09' M3 AA Gen 2 Level 2 S/C
    03' Viper Roadster- FBO
    10' X5M
    09' Cayenne GTS
    11' Jaguar XFR
    08' CLS63 AMG
    08' EVO X GSR- FBO
    13' F10 550i M Sport

Past:
    07' C6 Z06
    11' M3 Comp DCT
    10' C63 AMG
    10' SVT Raptor 6.2
    12' BOSS 302
    11' E92 335i
    09' C63 AMG -
    01' C5 Z06- White, FBO+Cam
    11' E92 335is- Sapp Blk
    08' E82 135i- Sapphire Blk
    10' Audi S5 6-Speed
    04' SVT Lightning
    08' E90 335i 6-Speed- Blk
    08' C63 AMG- Blk
    09' CTS-V Sedan- Blk Raven
    06' E60 M5 SMG
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm glad I could help.. As far as I recall, they construct the shocks from higher grade materials as they must to offer such a warranty. Good luck if you decide to go that route.

Some pics of my XJR before and after the front shocks were replaced.. I have to admit, it looked pretty mean with it lowered. Haha

-TZ
    Pretty neat! Love the stance of the XJR. Do you still have it?
    Already have a lowering module on my SL, hope there wont be any issue lowering it with my current module

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well Hopefully it wont fail to that extent but I know what your saying. I'll speak to them today and we'll see what they say. They look like they make a solid product.
    And im sure they will. Look forward for their feedback, cant wait for the rest of stuff to reach including the new ABC setup

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

-TZ
    Dude! Why did you ever get rid of the XJR? I kind of want to pick one up to do a Kenne-Bell upgrade on. My mom had an XJ8 Vanden-Plas and I fell in love with it.

The XJ's are sexy as hell and drive pretty nice too.