61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    sub'd for future updates. I like fast EFs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by doogle Click here to enlarge
    I'm still deployed, but a little update: Block is sleeved, head ended up being warped so I got a type r head instead. I took ///MPOWERED's advice and got it built with Ferrea valve guides and supertech valve train, with stock type r cams. The rest of the long block was: forged 9:1 compression 84mm pistons (2.0 liter), forged rods, upgraded wrist pins, machined stock b18a crank, ARP head studs, oem gasket kit, moroso oil pan, vtec water pump, type r oil pump, gates timing belt, golden eagle ls-vtec kit, cometic head gasket and everything was balanced to 11.5k rpm. The tuner said there will be no power gain that high up with the stock type r cams and that he will only rev it to 9.5-10k rpm when he tunes it. The transmission I have is a JDM (as $#@!) short geared SiR with cryo treated gears. I had to replace the LSD with a new Synchrotec one as well as get drive shaft shop axles. At this point all I need to complete the drive train is a fuel pump, fuel rail, injectors, ignition system, intake manifold, turbo manifold, wastegate, exhaust, and intercooler/piping/bov. I'm looking for a ram horn manifold that will let me run AC in an EF, anyone have any suggestions?

THANK YOU!!! I love to see when fellow enthusiasts spend the money and build stuff properly!! You are going to have one HELL of a reliable Motor, that will REV and ask for more! Goodjob on building the transmission as well, I did the same on my last build and never had to worry about breaking the trans with all the abuse I threw at it. Your tuner is right, you won't make any power really over 9.5k (That's the highest I used to rev to in my last build)

What yr Type R head is that?? if its out of a 00 or 01 those Type R spec cams have a higher duration very simular to Civic Type R cams. If the head you got is pre-2000 the cams are slightly less aggressive. You can sometimes find a set of Civic Type R cams new and used for cheap. I gained right around 25whp just from swapping out to the CTR cams from the stock b16 cams with Skunk2 cam gears still set at 0 degrees, didn't have a need to dial them in as my tuner advised it was near perfect at 0 degrees. (was really impressed w/ the gains on running CTR Cams)

The guys at Evan's tuning like to use the Skunk2 Pro1 cams on boosted set-up's and have seen gains of an extra 20whp when swapping out CTR cams in favour of the Skunk2 Pro1 cams. Just a FYI if you want some more easy cheap WHP.

as for Manifold goes check out:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/280589...audi-a4/page-1

^^^ Jay did my manifold, Turbo Piping, Downpipe and wastgate. TOP QUALITY work! He's local to me and has since started working as the Technical Lead at Vibrant Performance. Not sure if he still sells to the public, but i'd check out his work and contact him as he builds some pretty crazy stuff, and the quality of his welds is simply awsome. If my E46 M3 wasn't my DD i'd give him the car for as long as he needs it to make a tubular manifold, FMIC etc.... Jay is probably the only person I'd trust to something like that.

Jays contact info = california_jay@hotmail.com

If your gonna contact him you can mention that Travis with the M3 reffered you to him.

Another Alternative:

http://docrace.com/

- Well known on Honda-tech, and recently built the tubular top mount manifold for HPF's track car, his work seems really good as well.

There are a few other companies that come to mind as well Spoolin Performance, Full Race, AFI, etc... Most are still active sponsers on Honda-tech.

Hope this helps!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The tuner said there will be no power gain that high up with the stock type r cams and that he will only rev it to 9.5-10k rpm
    Heh, only 9.5-10. That is awesome!!!

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ///MPOWERED Click here to enlarge
    THANK YOU!!! I love to see when fellow enthusiasts spend the money and build stuff properly!! You are going to have one HELL of a reliable Motor, that will REV and ask for more! Goodjob on building the transmission as well, I did the same on my last build and never had to worry about breaking the trans with all the abuse I threw at it. Your tuner is right, you won't make any power really over 9.5k (That's the highest I used to rev to in my last build)

What yr Type R head is that?? if its out of a 00 or 01 those Type R spec cams have a higher duration very simular to Civic Type R cams. If the head you got is pre-2000 the cams are slightly less aggressive. You can sometimes find a set of Civic Type R cams new and used for cheap. I gained right around 25whp just from swapping out to the CTR cams from the stock b16 cams with Skunk2 cam gears still set at 0 degrees, didn't have a need to dial them in as my tuner advised it was near perfect at 0 degrees. (was really impressed w/ the gains on running CTR Cams)

The guys at Evan's tuning like to use the Skunk2 Pro1 cams on boosted set-up's and have seen gains of an extra 20whp when swapping out CTR cams in favour of the Skunk2 Pro1 cams. Just a FYI if you want some more easy cheap WHP.

as for Manifold goes check out:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/280589...audi-a4/page-1

^^^ Jay did my manifold, Turbo Piping, Downpipe and wastgate. TOP QUALITY work! He's local to me and has since started working as the Technical Lead at Vibrant Performance. Not sure if he still sells to the public, but i'd check out his work and contact him as he builds some pretty crazy stuff, and the quality of his welds is simply awsome. If my E46 M3 wasn't my DD i'd give him the car for as long as he needs it to make a tubular manifold, FMIC etc.... Jay is probably the only person I'd trust to something like that.

Jays contact info = california_jay@hotmail.com

If your gonna contact him you can mention that Travis with the M3 reffered you to him.

Another Alternative:

http://docrace.com/

- Well known on Honda-tech, and recently built the tubular top mount manifold for HPF's track car, his work seems really good as well.

There are a few other companies that come to mind as well Spoolin Performance, Full Race, AFI, etc... Most are still active sponsers on Honda-tech.

Hope this helps!
    How are you so familiar with Hondas?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Here is a teaser pic, things are coming together nicely. The car will hopefully be done in about a month, just pretty much waiting on parts to come in now.

Click here to enlarge
    84mm sleeves in the b18a1 block.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here is a teaser pic, things are coming together nicely. The car will hopefully be done in about a month, just pretty much waiting on parts to come in now.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...10/22NgN-1.jpg
    84mm sleeves in the b18a1 block.
    Nice... so you are going to make what kind of power?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    T4/44mm wastegate ramhorn turbo manifold

Click here to enlarge
    Tial MVR and Tial Q

Click here to enlarge
    Breather box

Just waiting on the intercooler piping, intercooler and traction bar. The motor is back from the machine shop and all buttoned up, I will probably drop it in this weekend. Once the intercooler stuff and traction bar gets here I will start mocking up the routing of the IC piping. I am hoping that the car will be done in 3-4 weeks.

The tuner thinks he might be able to eke out 500whp on 93, anything higher than 450whp I am happy with.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ That manifold looks badass!!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Where did you get that breather box from? And do you know if its available with with less fittings on it? I only need 2, maybe 3.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got both the manifold and breather box from blueridge motorsports here in nc. They make the boxes in house so I am sure that they will be able to make one with less fittings for you. Their email is sales@blueridgemotorsports.com.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I got both the manifold and breather box from blueridge motorsports here in nc. They make the boxes in house so I am sure that they will be able to make one with less fittings for you. Their email is sales@blueridgemotorsports.com.
    Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I ran into some problems, but I should be at the tuner this weekend. The shop that installed my sleeves did so incorrectly, it has a 84mm bore until half way through, then it drops to 83.5 finally down to 83mm at the bottom of the sleeve. The block is taking a 3 hour each way car ride to the shop that installed the sleeves so they can fix it and pay for the machine shop time they wasted. The thing is the sleeve manufacturer is the one that recommended this shop, hopefully it was just a fluke.

The intercooler core I ordered is a little large at 22"x11.25"x5" so I will have to cut a lot of the bumper cover out.

Hopefully the car will be tuned in 3 days! After that everything else that needs to be done can be done while the car is on the road.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    badass build, good luck man Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The shop had to resleeve the block, they re-bored it but it came out to 85mm and I only have the 84mm pistons/gasket on hand. The shop is going to work on it until complete tonight and deliver to the machine shop I use here in the morning. The machine shop said that if everything is right this time the motor will be ready by noon. That gives 36 hours from now to drop the motor in, weld up some sort of exhaust, and throw it on the trailer for the drive up to VA for the tune.

It is going to be close, lol.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The shop had to resleeve the block, they re-bored it but it came out to 85mm and I only have the 84mm pistons/gasket on hand. The shop is going to work on it until complete tonight and deliver to the machine shop I use here in the morning. The machine shop said that if everything is right this time the motor will be ready by noon. That gives 36 hours from now to drop the motor in, weld up some sort of exhaust, and throw it on the trailer for the drive up to VA for the tune.

It is going to be close, lol.
    What shop?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great build. Makes me miss my HondaHonda
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice build!

If it was me, id go for a ridiculously low weight + 450+WHP. Strip out the interior/rear seats/insulation/radio/AC. That would be sweet!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the car has nothing in it except a driver's seat. It weighed 1550lbs with the old motor in, it will probably be around 1650-1700 with the turbo motor in.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bad ass build. My buddy is doing a boosted Z6 for his EF. The power/weight is just not fair Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The dude failed to deliver the block to my local machine shop in time, the shop even stayed open an extra hour to wait for him. If the block is at the machine shop in the morning I will probably have the car bolted back together on Saturday, but I'm not going to make the tune date. I made this appointment with Matt Shue like 3 months ago, he doesn't have any open appointments until like June. I found a tuner that can do it on Wednesday, but it still sucks that I had to back out.

I hate shops that are unreliable! I'm going to give the dude a chance to make it right before I go around cursing his and his shop's name though.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hate shops that are unreliable! I'm going to give the dude a chance to make it right before I go around cursing his and his shop's name though.
    Same attitude I take. It's hard to find professional top notch shops.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another small update, I got the car to the tuner and promptly broke a DSS axle and a Hasport motor mount. Got the replacement parts in today, hopefully I can go back this Saturday for the tune. The good news is that the car made 410whp @ 7.7k right before the axle broke, lol.

No idea how this happened. It was on the dyno, no wheel hop or anything and luckily the car was properly strapped down. It may have been a defective motor mount (the mount broke on the section that bolts to the motor), but I will probably never know for sure.

Edit:

I finally figured out how much I spent on the car, I'm up to $9350 total but I sold $2250 worth of parts from the civic and integra.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn! $7100 for a very fast and fun car. That's great!

Another small update, I got the car to the tuner and promptly broke a DSS axle and a Hasport motor mount. Got the replacement parts in today, hopefully I can go back this Saturday for the tune. The good news is that the car made 410whp @ 7.7k right before the axle broke, lol.

No idea how this happened. It was on the dyno, no wheel hop or anything and luckily the car was properly strapped down. It may have been a defective motor mount (the mount broke on the section that bolts to the motor), but I will probably never know for sure.

Edit:

I finally figured out how much I spent on the car, I'm up to $9350 total but I sold $2250 worth of parts from the civic and integra.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I got it tuned a few weeks ago but am not happy with it, the tuner did a good job at full throttle but anything less than that is not fun to drive at all. Luckily I was able to get a tune date with Matt Shue in virginia for this weekend. On c16 it made 635whp@9300rpm but I think it had more in it. I'm still hoping for at least 500whp on 93, we will see on saturday.

Here is an old pic when we first dropped the motor in:

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here is another in progress picture, if I get it retuned on saturday I'll have videos/pictures of that as well as way more pictures of it in progress.

edit: intercooler is a little large, lol.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast